advertisement

Rock. Defined in 5 Albums.

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Obviously I am biased by the time of my birth etc., but I've always thought that the following 5 albums pretty much summed up 'rock' and all else is just, to quote something or other from some album notes or other 'deluded speculators.. picking over the woodpile'.

'Are You Experienced' Hendrix
'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' Floyd.
'Fresh Cream' Cream
'Led Zeppelin' Led Zeppelin
'Blonde on Blonde' Dylan.

Views?

Mull

Way too limited IMO, it's less than a 5 year period, and too UK-centric. I'd probably go for something like:

Robert Jonson - King Of The Delta Blues Singers
The Stooges - The Stooges
Can - Tago Mago
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Pixies - Surfa Rosa

And that still doesn't get close to being up to date! I'd feel very awkward leaving out Elvis Rock N Roll, The Beatles Hard Days Night, MC5 Kick Out The Jams, Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced, Miles Davis Bitches Brew, Pink Floyd Piper, Amon Duul II Yeti, Neu! Neu!, Black Sabbath's debut, Patti Smith Horses, Gang Of Four Entertainment, The Minutemen Double Nickel On The Dime, Mogwai Young Team etc etc etc, all of which were hugely innovative and all at the start of something that grew / is still relevant now. I've missed tons out, you'd need 50 really, and it would be necessary to go from vintage US blues right through to the laptop / bedroom innovators of today.

Tony.

Zappa-Freak Out
Floyd-Meddle
Can-Soon Over Babaluma
Big Audio Dynamite-This Is....
The Orb-Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

For me:

Hendrix - Are you experienced.
ZZ Top - deguelo
Status Quo - Hello
Deep Purple - In Rock
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

There are heaps more, this list could be huge, but at this moment in time, yep that'll do me.

Rolling Stones - Aftermath
Zep - 1st album
Who's Next
Husker Du - Zen Arcade
AC/DC - Highway To Hell

You are all guilty of ignoring the huge current Rock movement for a start.

What about American Soft Rock - Aerosmith, Def Leppard. What about 90s/00s Rock/Rap crossover - Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Faith No More, and then current Metal? What about Southern Rawck from Skynnard that has a huge resurgence in Drive-By Truckers and Black Stone Cherry.
What about Prog?
I couldn't make the list, but you need to include Black Sabbath because Tommy Iommi's heavy damped chops have set the sound for all heavy Rock that followed from Metallica & Queensryche to Opeth. He invented that Chugg-Chugg dark loud guitar sound that you hear in every heavy rock band ever since - Soundgarden built a career on it! In Rock, Sabbath were the most influential band ever (can't stand them myself).
Not an easy task
What about Blues Rock - Cream / Free / Rory Gallagher?

Brit-Pop did a lot of damage as it satisfied a lot of people with mainstream music. Simon Cowell on the other hand has made people feel alienated from camp karaoke and forced them to look further afield, which has greatly increased the bandwidth on what people will buy when they make the effort. We should be grateful. Rock music now is back to satisfying kids that actively reject and react against mainstream Pop - and it's the best thing that has happened for years. We have a very healthy modern Rock scene - just browse the Rock Music magazines next time you are in the supermarket to see what I mean. It's bloody brilliant! Thank you Simon. Really. The best music has always come from kids that feel alienated from the mainstream and feel angry about it.
Yeah, can't stand modern Rock myself either, but I like that it exists.

You are all wrong. Of course, the answer is:

Beggars Banquet
Let it Bleed
Get yer ya yas out
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

:)

Heavy Choice:-

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Deep Purple - Made In Japan
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
UFO - Strangers in the Night
AC/DC - Back in Black

Too hard!!!

For bands, Stones, Zep, AC/DC have to be in there, I will give thought redarding the other two....

EDIT: Breaking the rules (very Rock'n'Roll) I will add David Bowie, Pink Floyd and the Beatles.

Way too limited IMO, it's less than a 5 year period, and too UK-centric. I'd probably go for something like:

Robert Jonson - King Of The Delta Blues Singers
The Stooges - The Stooges
Can - Tago Mago
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Pixies - Surfa Rosa

And that still doesn't get close to being up to date! I'd feel very awkward leaving out Elvis Rock N Roll, The Beatles Hard Days Night, MC5 Kick Out The Jams, Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced, Miles Davis Bitches Brew, Pink Floyd Piper, Amon Duul II Yeti, Neu! Neu!, Black Sabbath's debut, Patti Smith Horses, Gang Of Four Entertainment, The Minutemen Double Nickel On The Dime, Mogwai Young Team etc etc etc, all of which were hugely innovative and all at the start of something that grew / is still relevant now. I've missed tons out, you'd need 50 really, and it would be necessary to go from vintage US blues right through to the laptop / bedroom innovators of today.

Tony.

I think you've got to be more strict in terms of the definition of Rock music. I'd argue that whilst there were some great (and worthy) precursors to Rock - Elvis, Robert Johnson etc - they "merely" fed the beast.

And on that basis....

Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Led Zep -2
David Bowie - The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust
Tool - Lateralus
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Or not as the case may be

Dave

The best 5 rock albums are:
Hendrix - Are you experienced
Led Zep - First
Doors - LA Woman
Stones - Let it Bleed
Dead - Anthem of the Sun

FACT!

Piss easy

Highway 61 Revisited - His Bobness
Are You Experienced - Jimi and the Boys
Astral Weeks - Van
White Album - The Fabs
Velvet Underground - The Velvets

The above are like the boundaries, everything else can fit into the centre

And if it goes to the wire, then its Jimi.

advertisement

Back