advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John, great to see you on here .
So you decided to go with the Sabre dac in the Audiolab, I presume its the ES9018? apologies if its already been answered

To Keith, You should compare this Audiolab against the Weiss Dac202, should prove interesting?

Ron I will,I shall also compare it to the two new M2Tech dacs.
Keith.

Bolle,

Thank you for reminding me, I’d forgotten to add the “HT Mode” to the Software list for the CDQ / DQ (we included HT Direct on our Peachtree Designs), I well ask Dominik to add the selectable HT mode to each Analogue Input via software – luckily the User Manual has not gone to press yet..

Sorry no 12V Trigger outputs, but we already support your first 3 “Desires”… but you have got me thinking if we could add and small PCB with trigger outs… It’s late in the Day, but it’s also not that hard… for sure we could add it to the DQ – I well try for the CDQ.

Great!!!
Looking forward to getting a DQ, or maybe a CDQ although I'm 100% converted to streaming music.
You're keeping me on the audiolab bandwagon, got a 8000a in '93, moved to an AV32R in 2004, and now a DQ/CDQ...

The 8200CDQ is about the exact same spec as the new ATC CD/DAC/Pre which is due in a few months time, I'd like to see these two fight it out. Hopefully a few more will realise the needs for digital preamps with analog input/s and a fully balanced circuit.

Paul , don't assume because people are unwilling to pay for something they consider overpriced that they can't afford it. I'm not prepared to pay 4k for something that a quick calculation tells me cost less than 1/4 of that to produce. But I wouldn't criticise those who are.

Such a specious argument with Hi Fi. Nobody pays for what they perceive something costs to make. They make value judgement on what anything brings to the enjoyment of their music.

No range of products ever produces improvement that is directly proportional to additional cost, and nothing that costs double is ever twice as good. But people are prepared to pay for improvement. Conversely if they feel they get improvement or parity for spending significantly less ....they will rip your arm off. Trust me.

Steve

Paul , don't assume because people are unwilling to pay for something they consider overpriced that they can't afford it. I'm not prepared to pay 4k for something that a quick calculation tells me cost less than 1/4 of that to produce. But I wouldn't criticise those who are.

I didn't make the assumption, but why dismiss something because of the price. The important thing is how it sounds. If an item gives you pleasure, then it could be worth the cost.

It does not matter how much the parts inside cost either, you're paying for the knowledge to design and build.

As you know I have auditioned some expensive equipment, and I was willing to pay it's price, but it did not perform. The price should not make you dismiss an item, high or low. ie DacMagic

I don't expect to pay what something cost to make I'm just not prepared to pay 10x or more what it cost to make. We all understand diminishing returns and all have different fall off points along that path.

In this case it isn't a range of products producing an improvement that is directly proportional to additional cost, it's about a new product showing how extortionate the cost is of some of the competition and how easily we've been sucked into believing that this price level should be the status quo.

I base my purchases on value for money, that includes both performance, designers kill and component spec.

Well its Swiss innit? Nothing much cheap comes out of Switzerland, even sausages are expensive.

Its no doubt an excellent Dac both in SQ and functionality, and it obviously made for and priced to the domestic market.

Didnt Weiss make two Dacs before, one studio version and one domestic, apart from the cases the internals were exactly the same, however the price of the domestic Dac was double the studio version?

The issue with many folk is the perception of the price bracket, if it's £4K its must be good right. And the designer, no matter what rules and designs he/shes borrowed, copied or invented has sweat blood to gain such perfection, and you're lucky you can buy it for as little ...... after all, this is the high end don't you know.

Didnt Weiss make two Dacs before, one studio version and one domestic, apart from the cases the internals were exactly the same, however the price of the domestic Dac was double the studio version?

IIRC DAC2 and Minerva, the domestic version was 99% the same inside yet its was 3x more expensive.... it's a nice case but £4K extra, i can hear the highend marketing department calling again. ;)

I for one am happy JohnW has done this, it matters squat where electronic circuits are made, they're a 99% robotic process so its just down to QC/QC. I'm looking forward to this hopefully changing the status quo in DAC's, before the hi-end ditch CDP's completely and reinvent their existing frontends and start producing 10K DAC's in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back