advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
The existing digital inputs are joined by three line-level analogue inputs, providing source selection and volume control in the analogue domain. The preamplifier section is fully balanced and all analogue input signals are converted to balanced form, helping to reduce distortion and noise. Class A gain structures are present throughout, and users may choose between preamplification in the analogue or digital domain in respect of the digital inputs. In addition, the 8200CDQ adds a direct-coupled, discrete, Class A headphone amplifier, accessible via a socket on the front panel...

...works as an analog line level preamp too!

Im still waiting for the dac (although it looks like its not going to come in at the original price of £399)

CDQsmall.jpg

Can anyone explain that to me and what would be required to use this to front a hard drive system

To use this to front a hard drive system, assuming you've got a computer with some music files on the hard drive and some music playing software, such as iTunes, Media Player, Foobar...

a USB cable.

So what kinda company is Audiolab these days, have they lost their association with that group???, where and how are they manufactured and are/will they be making serious 'hifi' again???

Well i can tell you they dont answer emails for a start, communication seem poor, Shame they aren't as helpful and generous as the guy who designed the new CD players!

Any way this is what they are supposedly bringing out, the monoblocks look interesting (to me, not to you obviously:D) wondering if they are Class D?

8200CDQ: CD player, digital decoder and preamp in one box.

8200DQ: DAC/preamp – basically an 8200CDQ without the transport mech

8200A: 2x80W integrated amp

8200P: 2x100W stereo power amp

8200M: 125W mono power amp

8200MB: 250W monoblock

Intrigued by Peter Comeau's comment - "At last I can forget the source and just listen to the music."

Makes you wonder what he's been listening to all these years

Naim CD3.5, but through WD25Ts it wouldn't matter anyway.

Unfortunately we didn't have it for that long. We did compare it with a Quad CD player (new model) and a Rega Apollo and it was clearly better than both but we did not have time to compare the DAC. At the time broadband issues stopped us trying it as a streamer. We are likely to be stocking it so will post more detailed info when we've got one.

Mass hysteria and a stampede in the camp. Calm down chaps you''ve not even heard it yet. I've not seen this much enthusiasm since the release of the Naim Dac where people were singing its praises before they had even heard it. If you hang on a month or two no doubt there will be a few on the seconhand market like the Naim Dac.

Has it got a firewire?

As for CD drives perhaps they've got a few to use up. They will eventually release one without.

I must be more optimistic.

On a positive note it is in silver therefore will match a macmini and it also looks to be available in the all important black where it won't match a macmini.

At the risk of sounding a bit like "he who must not be named"...

I think you are going to be dissapointed if you think that any new DAC is going to slaughter any of the many decent DACs out at present. I've listened to too many. IMO, there are differences for sure, but they are pretty small compared to things like speakers.

Mass hysteria and a stampede in the camp. Calm down chaps you''ve not even heard it yet...

What youve got to realise Pete is, some of us have been waiting for this for two years! :D

Now if its as good as some of the better Dacs/CD players out there remains to be seen of course. Functional its perfect (for me anyway).
In digital the law of diminishing returns is kicking in at quite a low price, my recent experience of this makes me question spending a significant amount on any digital source.
The other thing is if something is very cheap no one will take the performance of it very seriously.

What i have learned (with the exception of some speakers) is that most hifi is way over priced, and offers little if any performance gains over cheaper well designed alternatives.

I've got the cheapish Dacmagic and do wonder what else is out there but getting to hear it in my system is another matter.

After reading IWC Doppel and his reviews which seemed fairly extensive, he seemed to be in favour of the DacMagic for the price but lets face it we all like to hear good things on what we have purchased.

A Dac bake off would be a good idea, probably easy to set up. Then we would really know if there is much difference or if it is all bullshit.

That is something that would be a useful thing is it.

Band A) £300 ish
Band B) £700 - £800
Band C) £1500 +

DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back