advertisement

Naim NAP200 to 300

agentsmith

pfm Member
Currently using NDAC/282/HiCap/200

Negotiating with someone to trade up to 300.

Good idea? Will my Harbeth M30s sing like they never sang before?

it'll be a bit mulletty. I'd be recommending a supercap on the 282, getting a 252 in there... and are there some upgrades one can do to the ndac such as an XPS? before going 250 or 300.

I had CDX/XPS/282/Hi/200.

I demoed various options, not a 300, with that system and it needed CDS3/555PS and the Supercap to make significant "musical" advances. If you are planning to get a 252, 552 and a PS for the NDAC in the future, and the price is right on the 300, then buy it. It's a great amp.

OTOH if you want to stop spending loads of money, look elsewhere to naim compatible alternatives.

The M30s are reasonably insensitive if I remember, so maybe there will be benefit from the 300 over the 200. Certainly if it's something that you would like to own, then I can't see any downsides. Will it sound better? My guess would be yes, but your listening levels, room etc will be important so you are best to audition if you have the choice.

Cesare

Take a listen to the Rega Osiris amp, before making moves further up the Naim ladder.

I think another Hi Cap or an SC or a PSU for the NDac would be the more normal option.

A less normal option would be sell the NDac/282/Hicap and get a BM dac pre R to run the 200. the 200 is a very good power amp but a bit overpriced.

Just at an all too brief audition at my dealer. Setup was 282/Hicap/200 Vs 282/Hicap/300, speakers were the new Proac flagship Carbon 8 which I cannot afford, source was CDX2S.

The 200 seemed to struggle a bit to control the low bass of the largish Proac, while managed to sound very decent with that nice pair of speakers, loads of details, heard details I never heard from my Harbeth.

But the 300 is in a totally different league driving those speakers. Controlled the low bass with a firm grip, even more details and everything tightened up.

It was a brief audition as I was in a hurry, but it did show me that power does make a difference at least with driving complex large speakers. I need them to show me simpler 2 way speakers like my Harbeth or maybe a pair of Neat momentums.

I did find a 2nd hand deal on the 300, it is about 50% that of the list price. But quite affordable compared to the Naim new asking price.

I just upgraded to the 282 not long ago so I would like to hand on to it for a little while.

Thinking about the Supercap as well but I know getting that would mean more expenditure down the line with 252 or even 552.

Stay tuned, I may just change my mind.

I think another Hi Cap or an SC or a PSU for the NDac would be the more normal option.

A less normal option would be sell the NDac/282/Hicap and get a BM dac pre R to run the 200. the 200 is a very good power amp but a bit overpriced.
I am using Hicap and TReddyXPS.

Have used Benchmark DAC1, Lavry DA11 and Weiss DAC2 previous to the nDAC. IMO the only DAC comparable to the nDAC is the Weiss. But having tried the Weiss as a pre driving the 200, I think I will stick with the Naim preamps

When looking at s/h gear you need to get the deals when they are available. So I'd take a 300 at a good price even if it mullets the rest of the system while you are waiting for a good deal on a 252.

A more powerful amp will give you much more control over your speakers.

When looking at s/h gear you need to get the deals when they are available. So I'd take a 300 at a good price even if it mullets the rest of the system while you are waiting for a good deal on a 252.

A more powerful amp will give you much more control over your speakers.

Noted. Will try to sneak it into the house when wife is not looking ....

It's a bit harder to smuggle a NAP300 to replace a NAP250 unnoticed; it comes in two boxes.

James

Agentsmith, what a cracking system you've composed! Certainly your "laywoman" is a very different kettle of fish to mine ;-) If she doesn't notice boxes, what about going active and getting a 4-pack?

Tread with caution on the naim upgrade path.
Go out and listen to the new rega gear, avi, avondale s100 ,m130,
or the voyager which outshines the 300 .imo by a fair margin
You will get a big suprise what is out there,
also see trade ads on new development from avondale
This could be the big one for 2010
happy listening
ps i still have naim gear but it is gathering dust,just use it if
someone wants to compare it against my later gear
if you are lucky to live near zenner give him a buzz ,he will put you on the correct route,

Agentsmith, what a cracking system you've composed! Certainly your "laywoman" is a very different kettle of fish to mine ;-) If she doesn't notice boxes, what about going active and getting a 4-pack?
Thanks it's a long way from being a high end system. The wife never took notice of these black boxes, doesn't mean she approves of them either.

Tread with caution on the naim upgrade path.
Go out and listen to the new rega gear, avi, avondale s100 ,m130,
or the voyager which outshines the 300 .imo by a fair margin
You will get a big suprise what is out there,
also see trade ads on new development from avondale
This could be the big one for 2010
happy listening
ps i still have naim gear but it is gathering dust,just use it if
someone wants to compare it against my later gear
if you are lucky to live near zenner give him a buzz ,he will put you on the correct route,

Thanks. I have thought many times of bailing out the Naim but the exit risk is quite high. Naim has not the best value for money IMO, but they do give a consistent performance that I have lived with for years.

What exit risk? Get the competition on loan, see if you like it, if yes buy, if not go for the 300.

Btw I don't think Naim is such bad value. What I personally find less than ideal is the sheer proliferation of boxes.

What exit risk? Get the competition on loan, see if you like it, if yes buy, if not go for the 300.

Btw I don't think Naim is such bad value. What I personally find less than ideal is the sheer proliferation of boxes.
I currently resides in Hong Kong and home dem is pretty much unheard of.

advertisement

Back