advertisement

Your Loudspeaker history...

Mision 70 mkII (from first propper wage packet 1988)
Mssion 752
Ruark Crusader II (2009) :D

Arrivo

M

Almost identical! Including getting the Crusaders last year! How are you finding them? I love the way they seem to 'fill space' if I'm listening in another room etc.

Surprised that I've only had four pairs of speakers over the course of fiteen years. A tribute to the staying power of SBLs I guess.

Mission 760iSEs (remember them?)
Mission 780SEs
ProAc Response 1SCs (quite a big leap...)
Naim SBLs

I've only had more modest equipment than a lot of contributors here, but there are still some interesting names, including:
Bloody big yellow-fronted Rigondas from one of their valve radiograms.
Omar CR456's. In retrospect, fantastic drivers, but a strange crossover config.
Castle Durham mk1. suprisingly big-sounding for a 5" driver and lovely Mahogany finish.
Rega ELA (didn't work so great in my old house. Would have loved to have heard them here though)
DIY cabs - used these for years. (using KLS3 cabs and bass units, but crossed over to SEAS excell unit. Learned loads about speakers from these and still got them!)
Currently using Scandyna/SEAS A25 (Dynaco clone). Old and not perfect, but play tunes like few others i've heard. Tried the Excell unit as a straight swap for the original tweeters. Results are suprisingly encouraging!

My modest stable of speakers :

Wharfedale W-60E
Infinity RS 2001
Infinity RS 5000
Advent 5012/W
The Smaller Advent

Possible a pair of Celestion Ditton 66's if things work out.:rolleyes:

Harvey/ Ga

Rogers LS3/5A
Dahlquist DQ10
Acoustat Three
Meridian M20

I'm in my third listening room. The DQ10's (with a DQ1 sub) and, later, the Acoustat's played in a small barn I converted into a listening room. Me, a pot belly stove, and a wine rack. Had to move back to the city and while still owning the Acoustat's, I purchased the Meridian actives. In my new (at the time) and much smaller listening room, the Meridian's (on taller stands) are beautifully at home. They image 3D palbably in an expansive soundscape limited more by a recording than my room's walls. And they pressurize the room like they were made for it.

This is an older thread, yet I wanted to share my Journey with all of you none the least:

Rogers LS 3/5a ( Walnut 1981 )
Snell K ( Teak 1984 )
Linn Kan ( Teak 1985 )
Linn Kan ll ( Rosewood 1991 )
Linn Kan ll ( Rosewood Ku-Stone Edition 1993 )
ProAc Tablette ll ( Teak 1994 )
Proac Tablette 50 Signature ( Ebony 1996 )
Harbeth LS 3/5a ( Gold Edition - Ebony 1997 )
Audio Physics Step SLE ( Ebony 2002 )
ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signature ( Ebony 2003 )
Quad Model 11L ( Rosewood 2005 )
System Audio SA 507 ( Maple 2006 )
Reference 3a Dulcet ( Maple 2007 )
DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 3 ( Cherry 2009 )
ProAc Response One SC ( Birdseye Maple 2010 )

And it has been a beautiful quest along the way. As I've mentioned I love mini-monitors.

Regards,
Oscar

Mike missed this one - and when rodrat gets here I want to see what happens when a single post is greater than the length of a page on a thread...

oh...

Homemade
AR something
Mission 731i
Mission 760
Kef Q35
Celestion A3
Quad ESL "57"
Quad ESL 989
And some little Quad 11L for the office

Future: stacked 57s, 63s, 2905s - then maybe some really big stats. Stacked 989s???

Jonathan, if you want better ESLs, have a look at the ESL63QAs made by Quad Musik in Germany: the best I've ever heard, and I own a pair.

My own progression:

KEF 104s
KEF 104aBs (modified from a KEF kit by a chum while I was a student)
QUAD ESL63s
Stacked QUAD ESL57s plus rear ESL57s (newly built by Quad Musik)

Plus QUAD ESL63QAs, as described above, in another room

Also Linn Kans and Saras in 'second systems'

Keesonic Kubs
Mission 780
Ruark Templar
Harbeth HLP-3es
Audiophysic Tempo III
Quad 988
ATC SCM12
ATC SCM20
Dali Helicon 400
Wilmslow Mercury
Tannoy D700
...and back to the Wilmslow Mercury at present

Ruark Templars were magic.

Let's see.
As a kid, I enjoyed my folks' Scott speakers (don't know the model).
As a teen, it was an all-in-one (receiver, phonographs, speakers) from Sony, though I really loved the AR3as my sister had.

My first "real" set was a pair of Dynaco A-35s.
Then a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s.
Then a pair of Dahlquist DQ-20s.
(Both pairs of Dahlquists were involved in many of my early CD mastering jobs.)

In more recent years, Magnepan 1.5s.
Lately, a pair of Magnepan 3.6s.
Last year, I added a pair of Outlaw LMF-EX-1 subs. The Maggies run full range and the subs are crossed over at 30 Hz.
(The Maggie setup is what I use to monitor my recordings - after returning from the remote locations - and for all my current mastering work. There is also a pair of 1.6s at a friend's studio, where I've done a number of mixes.)

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Wilmslow Audio - small bookshelf (nicked)
Wilmslow Audio - larger three way standmount with Peerless drivers (swmbo packed these off to landfill as they were 'too big')
Tannoy E11 (awfull)
ATC SCM40

Currently using Scandyna/SEAS A25 (Dynaco clone)

Those are more than just a clone, aren't they? The original A25s were made for Dynaco in Denmark by SEAS, and were distributed in other countries under different names, no?

Jonathan, if you want better ESLs, have a look at the ESL63QAs made by Quad Musik in Germany: the best I've ever heard, and I own a pair.

My own progression:

KEF 104s
KEF 104aBs (modified from a KEF kit by a chum while I was a student)
QUAD ESL63s
Stacked QUAD ESL57s plus rear ESL57s (newly built by Quad Musik)

Plus QUAD ESL63QAs, as described above, in another room

Also Linn Kans and Saras in 'second systems'

Graham

It might also be a handy way to get a finished article for a time poor kind of chap like me. Have you had a chance to compare the Quad Musik 63 with any of the newer Quad products, such as the 2905/2805?

The slightly funny looking Chinese things that look like Victorian room dividers must also be checked out I think. Very weird looking even for an electrostatic.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jonathan, yes, I heard the 63QAs, the 2905s and 2805s on the end of various valve and solid state systems at Quad's place in Gering. If you need greater power output, they can make the 63QA with extra top and bottom panels (like the 2905s). And you can choose the wood and grille colours. Well worth a visit!

Graham

JM Focal Chorus 706 – Still own
Royd Minstrels – Still own
Epos ES22 - Best speakers I've ever owned
Neat Petite 3 - God awful
ATC SCM12
Vienna Acoustics Mozarts
Heco Celan 300 – Still own
Revolver M22
JM Reynauld Twin Mark 3
JM Focal Electra 909?
Cabasse Java – Still own – Still own
Royd Abbots
Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand
Amphion Argon
Audio Note AX2 – Still own
Harbeth P3 ESR S.E – Still own

There are others, mostly that came and went pretty quickly.

1. Kef Coda II
2. Linn Kans Mk 1
3. Linn Kabers
4. Q Acoustics 1010 in office.

(I've still got the Kans, unused at the moment.)

Mission 780
Monitor Audio GR10
Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold (Lancaster Cabs)
Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold (Custom 100L Cabs, same drivers as above)
Tannoy 15" HPD (transplanted into Lancaster cabs). Office System.
Quad ESL 63

I've still got all of them but I should probably sell the GR10 and the HPD Lancasters.

advertisement

Back