advertisement

Your Loudspeaker history...

• PSB Summit 11s -- Bought when I was 16 after my first summer job; the rest of the system was to follow the next year. This was ultimate embodiment of a mullet system -- all speakers, no source or electronics (top that, Ian).

• Szabo somethings -- Reluctantly realized that speakers need an amp and source, so I traded the Summit 11s for an entry-level system with these largely forgettable bookshelf speakers.

• Cervin-Vega fuzzy DJ speakers with piezo tweeter -- Bought after my second summer job. Discovered high-efficiency/low fidelity; fell for the saleman's pitch: "These babies will blow the fuzz off your ass with half a watt of power!"
    Turned out to be true -- was arse-fuzzless for a year.

• PSB Passif II -- Longed for arse fuzz, so I traded the C-Ws for crappy, boomy/bloomy floor standers.

• Castle somethings -- Brought Passif IIs into a hi-fi shop for comparison; saw them demolished by cheap bookshelf speakers from England.

• Linn Index (original) -- First foray into flatness; an OK speaker if all you've had is crap before.

• Linn Kans (original) -- Discovered that funky, fast bass is cool... if only Kans had some bass.

• Quad ESL 57s -- Oh my. Life changed. So this is what hi-fi is about.

• Linn Saras (original) -- Tried Saras on a whim; realized I missed phat bass; stupidly sold the 57s.

• Linn Sara 9s -- Slightly less nasal version of above; in hindsight a pointless move.

• Royd Sorcerers -- Fast and fun like Kans but with fuller bass and nicer mids; if only they better filled my current oddball-shaped listening room with music. I've had them since 1997, so they've lasted longer than anything else, but I long for big woofers in a big box.

• Royd Sorcerers -- Fast and fun like Kans but with fuller bass and nicer mids; if only they filled my current listening room with music better. I've had them since 1997.

Joe that's over ten years with the same speaker. Long term commitment like this to a speaker should be commended, I would expect nothing less from a man of your calibre. You make Bourney look like a speaker whore.

• Royd Sorcerers -- Fast and fun like Kans but with fuller bass and nicer mids; if only they better filled my current odd-ball shaped listening room with music. I've had them since 1997, so they've lasted longer than anything else, but I long for big woofers in a big box.

Respect is burning. Ten years is more than I ever held on to anything, as far as I'm concerned.

Tiger,

In recalling my list of shame, I was rather surprised I've had Sorcerers for that long as well, but the list of speakers before the Royds were during my single, childless days, when, despite being a student for most of it, I had money for hi-fi.

I don't want to derail this thread with tangents -- oh what the hell -- but everything I currently have has been in place for a decade or more, less the cartridge (2005), phono pre-amp (2004) and CD player (2000).

Joe

solovox
celestian ditto 110
AR8bx
rotel rl870
tannoy m15
monitor audo 252
heybrook hb1
monitor audio 352
tannoy oxford
heybrook hb3
linn sara
snell type j
kef r 104/2
snell type c

Yamaha NS-10's
Ruark Sabres (had these for 10 years until a particularly boisterous party saw them off)
Musical Fidelity MC-2's
Triangle Titus TZX
Royd Minstrels
Ruark Sceptres
Epos ES14's
Mission 753's
Linn Kan Mk1's

Various home made things with cheap and horrible drivers. The last version (sub satellite) was vastly the best.
Bookshelf Monitor Audio something (horrible, mistake, took them back to the shop after two weeks).
Bookshelf Monitor Acoustic, very nice little two way, gave to GF when leaving NZ.
Brief trial of ESL-57; not practical in the room I had then.
Wharfedale Diamonds (sold to brother)
Epos ES14 since early 1990s.

AR 18s (then upgraded wiring by Grahams)
Linn Sara with cannons (when the 18s sponge disintegrated)
Briks (late passive)
Briks (same pair turned active)
ATC SCM12 (what a pleasant sound after the Briks)
ATC SCM40
JM Labs Micro Utopia Bes (I realsied I still hankered after standmounts too - like my 18s)

B&W DM603 - nothing to remember...
Magnepan 1.5 - wow but WAF factor was poor (180cm with grey fabric)
Sonus Faber concerto - tight and beautifully made. not very agile
Harbeth Compact 7es2 - wow! these have been here for 3 years and will stay...

the sound the can make improves with the equipment upstream (was nice with naim gear and are incredible with SB+ and Avondale stuff).

Celestion Ditton 15XR - long gone
Mordaunt Arundel (Old 1960s Mordaunt design 12 papaer cone and Decca Ribbons) - still got them
Meridian M3 - long gone
Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a - still got them
Avantgarde Duos - I'll be keeping these!

Charlie

Kef cara
Mission m73
Some god awful ditton rubbish from Richer Sounds
Rega kytes still have in second system & still like them now
Tdl studio five (awful)
Tlc classic one (room shakers!)
Rega ela
Currently Rega XEL, love them to bits.

kenwood thingies (early 80`s)
Active Diamonds Wharfedale
Wharfedale cs
mission 733i (honky)
Royd Apex
Audio Physic Virgo2
Audio Physic Padua

Boston Acoustics A60 II
Mission (part of a Denon shelf system)
Acoustic Energy Aegis One
Epos M5

Kef K120 bookshelf thingummies
Royd Minstrel
Naim Credo
Royd RR1
[and some ebay flutters in the middle, like Mission 732s, QED Arias and Elac Cinema]

1976 IMF Super Compacts
1978 Gale GS401a (the chrome ones)
1980 Linn Saras
1983 Linn Kans (just till I get some serious speakers.....)
That's all folks!

1986: Wharfedale Diamond IIs
1994: Tannoy 613 (I think, tall 2 way plus ABR)
1995: Linn Keilidh passive in horrid black, exdem and cheap.
1996: Keilidh passive in cherry when blacl ones stolen. Thank you insurance comany.
2000: Quad ESL63. Wow. Oh wow. I just couldn't live with them in a small house. Back to Keilidhs after a year, Quads swapped for an LP12 with all the toys.
2002 - present: QLN Prestige. No plans to change other than go active.

Dalliances en route with a homebrewed sub based on a Goodmans Magister, XO and big amp:cool:, TLS 50s (needed a rebuild and sold at a loss), and a few cheapo jobs out of the paper, mostly useless but fun.

KEF Coda
Zachry EM8
Philips 544 MFB
Tannoy SGM-10B
Quad ESL-63
Quad ESL-988
JBL L100 (in study)

advertisement

Back