advertisement

Your first real hifi

LOL...got really low expectations myself;-) Seriously slumming it with an aging olive system since '95...still sends goose-bumps up my arms.

Which is why hi fi is all about my fi. I have nothing against Naim (other than the too-high cost over here in America thanks to our shit dollar). And it does some things really well. But I didn't initially grasp their emphasis on the "attack" thing. Over time going up the chain from 5i to the midlevel, I did come to know this experientially.

For some, Naim's sonic signature, is the ticket. For me, it's more about flow, laid back, transparency and color. I think you'd find my system boring but to each his own. Owning Naim is what defined what I want musically. And I can tell you there's more than one way to get those goose bumps ...

Edit: actually, I confess that I do have one thing against Naim. I think they could engineer more smoothness and other "round earth" attributes into their components and still retain that timing and flow. To my ears, at least, my current system does this. But others may disagree.

To whit: Avondale has carved quite a niche exploiting that fact by all accounts, although I've never heard their mods and gear for myself so who knows.

I doubt I'd find your rig boring. I'm an old tube fan/user from way back when. I'll bet your new rig has some of the old salisbury attributes as well;-)

circa 1979,

NAD 7020
Snell type Q's w/stands
Denon CD player
Rotel turntable
Tandberg tape deck

still miss the tapes the Tandberg created for the car and friends...
those were the days...no money but having decent sound made it alright...
390amx:p

1985 - University Student Flat

AR EB-101 turntable with Rega RB300 arm
Pioneer SA-9800 integrated amp
AR 94 2.5-way loudspeakers

James

- Era turntable (actually not HiFi, but I thought so at that time) with Stanton 681 EEE cart.
- Technichs receiver, quickly traded for a Kenwood/Trio 7100 amp.
- Chartwell LS3/5a's. I still have them, but they are currently resting.

JohanR

Birthday money and Saturday job aged ~ 14/15

Pioneer PL512 with Ortofon F15S/ADC headshell. Fitted cartridge my self. So what I didn't know what overhang and alignment was.

Sansui R50 receiver.

Goodman RB20 speakers

JVC tapedeck.

University and given money for a car,well became

Rega planar 3/AR P77

Creek 4140

Heybrook HB1

Actually kept all the early stuff and swapped it all for an old LP12/Ittok/Asak
and sold the Rega to my flatmate.

Still got the LP12 21 years later but unrecognisable from original and currently boxed to save it from the attentions of a wandering 14 month old.

Keith

First stereo system was bought in April 1979 right around the day of the Desert One rescue attempt fiasco of the Iranian hostages.

The system was a Pioneer SX-780 receiver (which I just brought back to life last weekend after 20 years of silence), a Pioneer PL-400 turntable and a CTF-500 cassette deck, also by Pioneer. And of course a pair of Pioneer Project 120 speakers.

What I REALLY wanted was a system offered by an elite stereophile boutique in my hometown of Kenosha that offered a Harman Kardon hk340 receiver and a Conisseur turntable and a line of speakers I have forgotten. I still want an hk340 just for the name and looks of it. Beautiful unit but the old Pioneer isn't bad either. The hk remains something of an unobtained first love.

The Pioneer was interesting because after a few years it began to operate intermittently and then quit altogether. About 2 months ago I searched the web for fixes as this must have been a chronic problem. Over the years I met several people at college, parties or work who also had or knew of someone with the same unit and similar problems. I found my fix on an audiophile web site and it worked perfectly. The system sounds as good as ever and after fixing it my son wanted to see an actual vinyl LP played on the turntable so we rocked the house to some classics from Blondie and Devo.

Late 80s, not long working but some spare cash due to still living at home rent-free :)

Cyrus amp (I think it was a 2)
Tannoy E11 speakers - still going strong at a mates place last time I checked
Some horrid Technics CD player, swiftly offloaded and replaced with an Ariston Q-deck

The start of a slippery and expensive slope

LP12 basik k9 nytech CA252 (still going strong at my brothers) RS 56 strand summat and kan 1's

Bloody rocked it did!

I was a 22 student and had been longing for a proper stereo for at least 3 years. When the time finally came:

1. Pioneer belt driven semi-auto TT with Grace F-8L (TT ok; Grace great!)
2. Pioneer 828 receiver (quite nice actually)
3. Servolinear III (astonishing speakers from Modesto, CA -- way ahead of their time)

Today I live with two systems, each wonderful in its own way...but the pleasure of that first system remains clear in my memory.

WTS

1972 or thereabouts after a Garrard SP25 and Sinclair P605 with homebuilt speakers.

Pioneer PL12D
ADC VLM
Ferrograph F307
Acoustic Research AR6

Bought in stages from '77 to '78 (1st year university and first industrial training) :-

Micro Sieki Belt Drive Turntable
JVC JAS31 amp (still in box in loft)
RAM 150 speakers (stil used in 2nd system)

Added a Technics cassette deck a few years later then a Pioneer tuner. Had all this for quite a few years before I 'accidentally' bought a Nak BX300e and started on the upgrade path.

CHE

STD 305D/Hadcock GH 228 Unipoise/Supex SD 900 e super/ Meridian M 101 MC Pre/TVA 1X Powewr/Pro 9 T/L Speakers... Typica 80's sound... not accurate it had some boogie factor..but what did I know back then, chasing accuracy for years and get less and less involved with the music..the most stunningly clean and "accurate" I got was Garrard 401, Mayware Formula 4, Ortofon Kontrapunkt A, NVA P50 Pre, NVA TDS Momos, Mangeplanar MG 3.3 R's....utterly in involving in every way, got rid of the Maggies, using cheapo Klipsch KG3's with BK Sub. Not strictly Hi-Fi any more, but more involvement..maybe I am just a lo fi person, who knows. Oh and another point whilst I am here, why do other peoples systems usually sound better than anything I have had in some way or another?? maybe I listen different when at my friends, more relaxed, not listening for that elusive "something".????

Starting while at school with an ITT ST20 music centre.

In 1988, as a student:

-Dual CS5000 / Ortofon OM20
-TEAC V455X cassette deck (*)
-Cyrus One
-leftover speakers from the ITT

In an intermediate stage I had the turntable
removed from the ITT, with the CS5000 feeding
its cables straight into the music center's belly.

(* Its dbx allowed me to make utterly crappy utterly noise-free
recordings off the ITT's utterly crappy turntable)

Circa 1989:

Leak Delta amp and turntable (with at95e cartridge), Yamaha NS10 speakers, (all , apart from the cartridge, gratis from a recording studio) and a Sony CDP 990 CD Player (£300 from Salisbury hi-fi).

1980:

Goldring Lenco GL78 / Ortofon FF15E MkII
Sansui 310 Receiver
Wharfedale Shelton XP2 Speakers

The turntable and amp were hand me downs from my dad. I had the speakers for Christmas from my Grandparents.

I was 12 ;-)

Moved from a Prinzsound Stereo (SP25) IN 75, to PL112D,M95ED,shiny Rotel amp 2x18 watts per ch, WOW! Goodmans RB20,soon changed to RB35,larger,with a mid unit,so had to be better.

I think it was Thorens TD166 turntable with ADC cart. With Quad 33/303 amps using Rogers LS1 speakers. I got the Thorens & cart and both the Quad amps brand new for less than £300 from my local hi-fi shop, which was an amazing bargain in 1982 ish.

advertisement

Back