advertisement

Your Favourite Album Of All Time

Very underrated. His two early 70s LPs on Choice are superb too.

Cheers. I have quite a lot of Giuffre, but those had passed me by.

Music for People, Birds, Butterflies and Mosquitoes is quite a title!

Giuffre has a special place in my heart because he broke the stranglehold Kind of Blue had on my jazz imagination. KoB was the first jazz album I liked but it's so perfect, and so accessible, I found it hard to move beyond it. This was despite sampling other jazz albums and going to jazz gigs with a friend of mine in Manchester.

Then, my friend suggested we check out the Jimmy Giuffre Trio on what must have turned out to be their last ever dates in the UK. I was puzzled by what I heard (why was it so quiet?!) but also delighted and intrigued. I think I bought 1961 a few weeks later and I've never looked back.

Funny that as I just don’t think Forever Changes is that good, he also didn’t write the better songs which probably rankled.

I also don’t like Dylan & find The Band rather boring so what do I know;)

Well, I'm not keen on Bob Dylan either (barring the odd track). Nor The Beatles. Each to their own, obviously.

I passed on early tickets, he's too hit and miss to risk £160 on. I've seen him in a shit mood playing awfully, and also delightfully perfect playing the best from his first five albums.

No point trying to catch that lightning in a bottle again.
You could be describing a lot of artists there, not just Ryan. Van Morrison definitely fits.

I think Desolation Row is about the worst thing I’ve ever heard & it goes on for about 3 hours. It’s amazing how tastes differ.

Don't know, I can hardly listen to Dylan either (terrible singer) but some of the songs he's written are just amazing.

I love Positively 4th Street (the ultimate put down song), Visions of Joanna and Knocking on Heaven's Door, plus loads more.

I actually really like Desolation Row.

a0893994099_65

Don't know, I can hardly listen to Dylan either (terrible singer) but some of the songs he's written are just amazing.

I love Positively 4th Street (the ultimate put down song), Visions of Joanna and Knocking on Heaven's Door, plus loads more.

I actually really like Desolation Row.
I don’t deny he has written some good songs, although I’m not really a fan of any of the above. Knocking on heavens door is awful.

Ultimately there are only so many hours in the day & I can’t fit him in to my schedule, others take priority. I do like some of his songs covered by others, ‘I’ll keep it with mine’ as sung by Sandy Denny is hard to argue with. All along the watchtower is great when Jimmy Hendrix mangles it. Quite like Songs from the Big Pink also.

It’s a very personal thing, I’m not massively into the ‘sounds like a busker’ style.

I’ve been spending a bit of time listening to the Joni Mitchell Archives Vol 3 & she is utterly astonishing; so far of Dylan & pretty much everyone else. She’s nowhere near as revered as his Bobness.

advertisement

Back