advertisement

Young DSD dac review

Jriver is excellent on a PC, not sure if its any good on a Mac though?

Anyone else tried this Dac yet?

Alan

How many of them are too hot though? There's guys running actives in the Mdac thread who need -40db to get sensible levels.

If I run my M-dac direct to my Cyrus amps im in the -50 to -60 range on the M-dac display and found for me the way to get the best sound from it is to run it full volume +3 through a As Passion passive preamp.

The new Young looks to be a better solution but I want 2 analogue inputs as well because for me and im sure many others TT is still a major part of our systems.

If I run my M-dac direct to my Cyrus amps im in the -50 to -60 range on the M-dac display and found for me the way to get the best sound from it is to run it full volume +3 through a As Passion passive preamp.

The new Young looks to be a better solution but I want 2 analogue inputs as well because for me and im sure many others TT is still a major part of our systems.

The Benchmark DAC2 and SOtM DACs all have DSD capability and analog inputs.

Given that they all sound pretty much the same, I'd go with the cheapest: the Emotiva Stealth DC1 is only £500 ($500 if you're in the States) and is properly differential. Also has an excellent headphone amp, six digital inputs (including UAC2 USB, BNC and XLR), balanced out, remote volume control and an analog input. The measured response is impeccable: it's a bit of a game changer.

But where do you get the files and what music worth listening to is on them?

This is the issue I have with the current swathe of Dacs promoting DSD - hardly a breakthough given that the 1795 offers the facility anyway.

For me, it makes sense because I archive vinyl to it and I have a PS3 that allows me to rip SACD. But unless you are doing that, it's difficult to see any reason to buy a compatible dac.

I bought a Tascam DA3000 which uses the same Dac as the Young. It also allows recording to dsd and, with a little chicanery, upsampling your computer's output to the bitstream format (ala Sony HAPz1ES). Not sure why you would want to though if I'm honest.

Not to take anything away from an excellent review of what looks like a very nice piece of kit. Just I don't see a compelling reason to change.

DSD is last/this year's buzzword: everything has to be DSD-compatible, even if DSD files are barely available.

Having said that, if you have ripped SACDs . . . and if you have a DSD-capable DAC (now available from £300) and a computer, you are pretty well future-proofed against any and all format changes. DSD sounds great, too.

The problem with an inexpensively implemented analog volume control is that it's rarely as good as a cheap digital one. If we're talking about a proper preamp or attenuator then it's a fair fight. However, the one really interesting trend in DAC design is treating them more like preamps with digital inputs than simply 'converters'.

Analogue attenuation before the [DAC's] output stage is fine in my book. (By contrast output attenuators, which change output impedance, I've perceived recently not to be transparent.)
I should add, you can attack the problem at the other end, with power amps/actives that can vary their input sensitivity without affecting input impedance. E.g. all ATC actives can be adjusted between 1-4V (I believe) input sensitivity in this way.

I should add, you can attack the problem at the other end, with power amps/actives that can vary their input sensitivity without affecting input impedance. E.g. all ATC actives can be adjusted between 1-4V (I believe) input sensitivity in this way.

Even the domestic models? I've not looked.

Vital yeah, the holes where the trim screws live aren't labelled but they're there - see the manual. Best thing is a precision screwdriver set because the holes are so narrow.

Everyone says 6db range but there are a couple of reasons I think it's 12db. First the manual states +/- 6db, and second the prototype of the SCM11A on Facebook mentions "the loudspeaker has adjustable input sensitivity of 1V-4V" i.e. consistent with former? I do know for sure that input impedance is not affected, confirmed from ATC.

Andy, yes I used a precision screwdriver and I was very gentle. I needed just the right size so that the blade turned the trim, yet the screwdriver could pass through the hole with leeway - the trim was slightly offset from the hole's centre. It's recommended to stick to the extreme of the range either way (they are at one extreme from factory) to maintain channel matching. Anyway sorry for the OT drift!

The new M2Tech Young/DSD dacs have arrived.
Variable analogue output, a digitally controlled analogue attenuator, and a full featured remote which not only controls the dac but also your playback software.
Sound quality is as you would expect superlative.
Keith.

Surely the same as any other competent DAC Keith? ;)

All DACs are equal, but some are more equal than others - you know that!
You have to laugh.

Actually, I find it reassuring when trade folks get behind their product: you don't expect a BMW dealer to tell you on a test drive:

“You know what? Cars are much the same, aren't they? Ours, Mercedes, Ford, Toyota, Honda - take your pick: they all go from A to B at 150% of the legal speed limit and are more than good enough for road use.”

Well....

My first impressions from cold of the new Young with standard power supply is it sounds at least as good as my old Young with Avondale type PSU. I can't A/B test as my old one left for a new owner a week ago.

Looking forward to Amarra to be DSD capable to try out this feature. I'll enjoy settling down to an evening's listening later :)

Well....

My first impressions from cold of the new Young with standard power supply is it sounds at least as good as my old Young with Avondale type PSU. I can't A/B test as my old one left for a new owner a week ago.

Looking forward to Amarra to be DSD capable to try out this feature. I'll enjoy settling down to an evening's listening later :)

And that's what it's all about... enjoy the evening!

Peter

advertisement

Back