advertisement

Young DSD dac review

Indeed, nice review. It would be interesting to hear this dac .Besides the addition of the volume control and DSD capability does it sound the same as the MK1 young when used with a pre amp I wonder?

Why these new DACs with native outputs above 2VRMS? Perhaps it helps with achieving better specs but it doesn't help with effective digital volume as a DAC-pre, IME.

The Weiss dacs have a 1v option, and the MAN 301 dac's output can be set to -20dB, it is useful in setting the overall gain.
Keith

Why these new DACs with native outputs above 2VRMS? Perhaps it helps with achieving better specs but it doesn't help with effective digital volume as a DAC-pre, IME.

But this one has an analogue volume that could be set to, say, match your TT level if using a pre, and if not, well, just dictates maximum SPL?

But this one has an analogue volume that could be set to, say, match your TT level if using a pre, and if not, well, just dictates maximum SPL?
Vital, thanks, well obviously I missed this bit.
Analogue domain volume control , check. Stop right there, that's a new feature, and an important one at that. The Young MK2 uses the Cirus Logic cs3318-cqz 8 channel analogue volume control. It's basically a resistor ladder volume control built on chip and offering a level of channel matching and balance that you'd struggle to achieve with any discrete resistor ladder volume control. On top of the fine level matching there's no loss of resolution, or bit reduction as you wind the volume down because the CS3318 provides attenuation in the analogue domain. There's some digital there, it's controlled by a multi-function rotary encoder visible on the front panel but that's it. This single dial gives you control over volume control and most of the features in the device menu, but as far as attenuating your volume goes it's analogue all the way, and it shows.
That does sound better. Analogue attenuation before the output stage is fine in my book. (By contrast output attenuators, which change output impedance, I've perceived recently not to be transparent.)

I will grumble why so hot in the first place, but I take back my implied criticism of this Young DAC and I'd even say it's of interest.

nice review Simon I am also interested in the new Young Dac it looks nice as well. Ive got some of that aluminium section as well so I am going to build a matching power supply for it, looks like the new unit is exactly the same power requirements as well ;).
Still got my Mk1 and like what it does, Ive tried a few other dacs and none have sounded better. I have a Sabre 32 Dac and its very close but it just doesent have that snap to it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69508926@N05/12813398154/in/photostream/
Alan

Indeed, nice review. It would be interesting to hear this dac .Besides the addition of the volume control and DSD capability does it sound the same as the MK1 young when used with a pre amp I wonder?

As best as I can recall it has the 'family sound', though maybe a touch more finely resolved in the treble than the MK1. Hard to say without a head to head. It's a cracking piece of kit and the analogue attenuation is a cracker.

@Max, it's certainly more flexible than the Mdac in terms of bit rates and file formats. I do think the analogue attenuation is very well done, so for those people who have active speakers with a chunk of gain on them or who do a lot of late night listening it could be a real solution to their needs.

But where do you get the files and what music worth listening to is on them?

This is the issue I have with the current swathe of Dacs promoting DSD - hardly a breakthough given that the 1795 offers the facility anyway.

For me, it makes sense because I archive vinyl to it and I have a PS3 that allows me to rip SACD. But unless you are doing that, it's difficult to see any reason to buy a compatible dac.

I bought a Tascam DA3000 which uses the same Dac as the Young. It also allows recording to dsd and, with a little chicanery, upsampling your computer's output to the bitstream format (ala Sony HAPz1ES). Not sure why you would want to though if I'm honest.

Not to take anything away from an excellent review of what looks like a very nice piece of kit. Just I don't see a compelling reason to change.

I wouldn't buy a new dac just to be able to access DSD material, not unless there was the promise of a whole lot more coming down the line. Would I want that as a feature on any new dac I was considering, sure, why not, what's to loose.

I think it's the combination of features that makes the Young DSD attractive, sound quality, versatility of data rates and file formats as well as physical interfaces on the back panel. Throw in the analogue attenuation and I'm not worrying about losing bits as I wind the volume down any more and the sound quality is sublime. That's reason enough for me to buy one. Like anything if it offers what one needs or want's then one will replace their old dac with it.

The problem with proper digital attenuation isn't losing bits, they are preserved, it's losing analogue resolution in the DAC chip. The Young's DAC chip will keep dynamic range thanks to the stepped analogue attenuator afterward.

Normally though, digital attenuation is also a fine solution ... IF the DAC output isn't too hot!

How many of them are too hot though? There's guys running actives in the Mdac thread who need -40db to get sensible levels.

advertisement

Back