1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

York at night

Discussion in 'photo' started by flatpopely, Mar 14, 2017.

1. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Went on a course this weekend and took some good (for me pics) :D

Nikon D40
    18-55 kit lens
    Cheapo tripod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

You have a very impressive flash!

3. flatpopely

Er, no.

4. koi

koi pfm Member

�� nice

5. agnes

agnes Active Member

You have an impressive tripod....

6. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

I don't understand the comments on this thread, the photo room usually has a lot more courtesy. I also don't know if the OP posted these intending for critical comment or not.

In my opinion if these were the OPs first attempt at such shooting then its a good start.

If they are SOOC and not been processed then again its a good start.

What I would say is that they all need to be levelled (the 2nd one especially does my head in!!!), and if the OP has the ability or the tools to process RAW files, then I would have exposed the images for less, and brought back up the shadows so as to avoid. blowing out the highlights, that way the man made lighting could be kept under control.

But Mr Flatpoply, its a good start, and one that I hope has encouraged you to do more photography.

7. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Nice shots, York looks lovely.:cool:

8. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Good composition, but yeah, the images seem quite flat and lifeless. I had a quick (under a minute) play in the PhotoForge2 app on my iPhone:

[​IMG]

Levels, contrast and a little bit of noise reduction. I could spend more time on it, but I'm tired after my early start :)

9. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

I agree with Mr Perceptive.

It is always better to slightly under-expose and edit exposure and shadows, once over-exposed the blown out part of the image is difficult or impossible to recover.

The lens also distorts heavily at its widest. Either avoid 18mm, shoot around 35mm if possible, or leave some extra width in the image so once straightened it can be cropped.

Personally, I think very wide angles should be used mostly for close-ups. Scenic pictures usually require straight lines (horizons/buildings etc.) and good wide angle optics are expensive. Leaning lampposts are difficult on the eye.

Last week I was using the optically superb Zeiss 21mm ZM, costs £1,000, and the £300 14mm Samyang, which can be straightened in Lightroom but optically is hugely inferior. The only decent budget wide angle I recall was the Sigma 10-20.

10. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Sls

Rank novice here. When you say lens distorts heavily at its widest can you point out where you notice it most clearly on these shots. If its obvious please be kind!

11. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Look at the lamp post in the last image, with the fort on the hill. The post is leaning in, and that's because the camera wasn't level. Try it out at home: hold the camera level with the lens at its widest. See the verticals lean in and out as you tilt it? As mentioned above, you can shoot wider than you need to, and correct the distortion in photoshop. However, to then crop the image to make it rectangular, you lose some of the image's edges.

In this shot, taken at 16mm on a full-frame camera, I kept the camera as level as I could to save work later. All verticals are acceptably vertical. I think.

With many subjects it doesn't matter, just keep your eyes open. It's bloody easy to forget!

12. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Thank you Tony

I now absolutely see and understand what you're talking about. Appreciate your taking the time.

13. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Except I forgot to paste the link to the image I referred to! Here:

[​IMG]

14. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Wondered about that but your tower example was very clear. This latest picture is indeed largely vertical except perhaps very slightly at the power pole. Am I getting better?��

Cheers

15. flatpopely

Hello.

I am an total amateur when it comes to this sort of thing.
    The pics were shot in JPEG, not RAW. There is no processing applied at all.

When you say leveled what do you mean? In the sense of horizontal and vertical.

16. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Horizontal.

Just try it while looking through the viewfinder or at the screen. The more you point the lens up, the more distorted the verticals become.

17. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

flatpopely

As you are using a Nikon you can download the free Capture NX-D program and edit RAW images, I use it 99% of the time and only use photoshop etc occasionally.

I think you have done some well composed images you just need a bit of editing to finish them off.

Pete

18. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

Water shouldn't be at an angle unless it's flowing that way!!!

19. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

A tripod with a ball and socket head will help you getting things vertical.
    Or you can adjust it in Capture NX-D.

Pete