advertisement

York at night

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
Went on a course this weekend and took some good (for me pics) :D

Nikon D40
18-55 kit lens
Cheapo tripod

y3m4Dm577Y2uVe3QP9cKb4ocZUCPrClIG242buGd4cVcuiUcJqhchKbczhGnMx90Y4m-88dm9DCmtIO3NPeEx8t952v3eA2nE-Dma32Wdzbg93NxtM4ap6Ccjvy_u27H6fdlQgLLyZnuoCbTaui7S_fxqfbMs6phg7B1j1x_Yfq9Sc

y3mBFd24snw36eE51ub_2IoZBaktcq7oen075WCNQTroZuTLjWayEov7fjHc4JjmesMm93DJOkjw10mdz8lsT0ORIH1n8yCrHPsW-e7M0R-ZANmj2kVXYqE3l84PJtdY8XUAnL7JBzBFI2easNe2-_cP4j0Vby-LhwXguycMa5VFBQ

y3mbFsJMiCWV3EZHBRy9ROYV27UJtPJNtP209Wz4q2M2BeLw-MKSWUU3tRcahMWAwUXUgKGz1IRa0spyj7B3VB40Dt1wTkFr3XydYKCzoj4rJZiDAYpKQZpkVa27jE7RWqMcEf-zPMCVso1QN649BVvVAac_eIiqZt_uaob_XTPi0s

y3mgZnm35sWkByGi6BbfCTuOQ8fCV4nINmrExJOdRF57ZpIu1r7lovVOMAamgvpCpi19HdBI3aizm3JaBKBbqmxC8DQ7Sg-bbLjtLLZCxNbssf6zldsMjCgqoCc67mIHVKPsXvYj4nj-9q9fKUFenPyswXR55NI3ciMclHl2MVV9ig

I don't understand the comments on this thread, the photo room usually has a lot more courtesy. I also don't know if the OP posted these intending for critical comment or not.

In my opinion if these were the OPs first attempt at such shooting then its a good start.

If they are SOOC and not been processed then again its a good start.

What I would say is that they all need to be levelled (the 2nd one especially does my head in!!!), and if the OP has the ability or the tools to process RAW files, then I would have exposed the images for less, and brought back up the shadows so as to avoid. blowing out the highlights, that way the man made lighting could be kept under control.

But Mr Flatpoply, its a good start, and one that I hope has encouraged you to do more photography.

Good composition, but yeah, the images seem quite flat and lifeless. I had a quick (under a minute) play in the PhotoForge2 app on my iPhone:

Levels, contrast and a little bit of noise reduction. I could spend more time on it, but I'm tired after my early start :)

I agree with Mr Perceptive.

It is always better to slightly under-expose and edit exposure and shadows, once over-exposed the blown out part of the image is difficult or impossible to recover.

The lens also distorts heavily at its widest. Either avoid 18mm, shoot around 35mm if possible, or leave some extra width in the image so once straightened it can be cropped.

Personally, I think very wide angles should be used mostly for close-ups. Scenic pictures usually require straight lines (horizons/buildings etc.) and good wide angle optics are expensive. Leaning lampposts are difficult on the eye.

Last week I was using the optically superb Zeiss 21mm ZM, costs £1,000, and the £300 14mm Samyang, which can be straightened in Lightroom but optically is hugely inferior. The only decent budget wide angle I recall was the Sigma 10-20.

Sls

Rank novice here. When you say lens distorts heavily at its widest can you point out where you notice it most clearly on these shots. If its obvious please be kind!

Look at the lamp post in the last image, with the fort on the hill. The post is leaning in, and that's because the camera wasn't level. Try it out at home: hold the camera level with the lens at its widest. See the verticals lean in and out as you tilt it? As mentioned above, you can shoot wider than you need to, and correct the distortion in photoshop. However, to then crop the image to make it rectangular, you lose some of the image's edges.

In this shot, taken at 16mm on a full-frame camera, I kept the camera as level as I could to save work later. All verticals are acceptably vertical. I think.

With many subjects it doesn't matter, just keep your eyes open. It's bloody easy to forget!

Thank you Tony

I now absolutely see and understand what you're talking about. Appreciate your taking the time.

Wondered about that but your tower example was very clear. This latest picture is indeed largely vertical except perhaps very slightly at the power pole. Am I getting better?��

Cheers

Hello.

I am an total amateur when it comes to this sort of thing.
The pics were shot in JPEG, not RAW. There is no processing applied at all.

When you say leveled what do you mean? In the sense of horizontal and vertical.

Horizontal.

Just try it while looking through the viewfinder or at the screen. The more you point the lens up, the more distorted the verticals become.

flatpopely

As you are using a Nikon you can download the free Capture NX-D program and edit RAW images, I use it 99% of the time and only use photoshop etc occasionally.

I think you have done some well composed images you just need a bit of editing to finish them off.

Pete

Hello.

I am an total amateur when it comes to this sort of thing.
The pics were shot in JPEG, not RAW. There is no processing applied at all.

When you say leveled what do you mean? In the sense of horizontal and vertical.

Water shouldn't be at an angle unless it's flowing that way!!!

A tripod with a ball and socket head will help you getting things vertical.
Or you can adjust it in Capture NX-D.

Pete

advertisement

Back