advertisement

Yello

johnfromnorwich

even my wife noticed the dif..
During the ongoing ripping - to - NAS exercise, I've been exposed to my girlfriend's extensive collection of Yello CDs. I really like 'One Second' and I have it on cheap-as-chips wobbly vinyl. It sounds absolutely stunning. Huge dynamic sound, meticulous arrangements and beautifully recorded voices (Shirly Bassey and Billy Mackenzie amongst them).  However, the CD sucks beyond belief and so do all of the others. No balls at all, thin hissy and weedy sound. I have to turn it up to past 12 o'clock just to get a reasonable listing volume and even then it has no grunt to it at all. Electro - pop definitely shouldn't sound like this! I'm guessing that they were flat transfers of the vinyl masters and didn't involve Boris Blank at all. Has anyone heard these and / or the remastered versions for comparison? I'd be tempted to replace them if the remasters were any good but opinons on the interwebs seem to vary wildly.

I have Flag in re-mastered cd format - much, much better than the original version so a thumbs up from me :) Much more gain so no need to overstretch the volume knob.

Also have Stella, One Second and (the very bonkers) Solid Pleasure on vinyl but have no plans to get cd versions of those.

You should hear 'You gotta Say yes to another Excess'. Indispensably brilliant and utterly bonkers.

I bought all mine on new vinyl in the late 80's and they all sound a bit harsh and overdriven, but I think they're mastered that way

You should hear 'You gotta Say yes to another Excess'. Indispensably brilliant and utterly bonkers.

I bought all mine on new vinyl in the late 80's and they all sound a bit harsh and overdriven, but I think they're mastered that way

I have it on (old) CD but this is of the 'great music that sounds terrible' mastering jobs that I was referring to. I've just seen that the CD remasters are under a fiver so I've taken a punt on One Second for comparison purposes. I already have it on crap sounding CD and awesome sounding vinyl so it's just a question of where it falls between the two.

They have a new album out. Haven't heard it though. Need to buy it from Amazon.de

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back