advertisement

Yamaha R-N402D - opinions?

This is a subject which has fascinated me for some time and have never actually got to a satisfactory answer as I have very little understanding of what goes on under the hood of these devices.

If, as suggested, there is little difference between Naim/Linn/Meridian and such as the Yamaha then on what basis is the price difference arrived at? Surely there must be more than brand loyalty or elitism involved?

This is a subject which has fascinated me for some time and have never actually got to a satisfactory answer as I have very little understanding of what goes on under the hood of these devices.

If, as suggested, there is little difference between Naim/Linn/Meridian and such as the Yamaha then on what basis is the price difference arrived at? Surely there must be more than brand loyalty or elitism involved?
The power of marketing probably.
I haven't listened to Naim but in my experience Linn and Meridian gear is on a par with Yamaha and, indeed, the humble Raspberry pi which I have also used.

The power of marketing probably.
I haven't listened to Naim but in my experience Linn and Meridian gear is on a par with Yamaha and, indeed, the humble Raspberry pi which I have also used.

That must be some marketing. I am feeling slightly embarrassed......

Thanks for helping. The Tidal thing is now fixed - the unit needed rebooting and after that all was good.

I have to say I'm very very impressed. After a couple of hours or so I honestly (and here's a big statement) could not hear any discernable difference between the Yamaha and the Linn. I am staggered.

The MusicCast app needs some work as it's a bit clunky and if anyone can point me towards a decent FM/DAB Aerial to replace the one it comes with I'd appreciate it. The supplied one has a threaded connector at the end which connects to the unit.

Interesting to hear of your experience as I’m thinking of one of these for TV duties etc. The RN602 is £20 more than the RN402D at Richer Sounds, so will look at both. Do they run Spotify connect as opposed to Bluetooth from iPad? Looks an amazing package for the money and from what you say, decent sound as well.

I actually don't use Spotify so you may want to verify this further before you go ahead but I believe it does.

Thanks. From what I can gather, it seems to all work via the MusicCast app, which looks really good. I’m also going to consider the Yamaha WXA-50, which I think will do everything I need it to in a very compact box I can hide away.

Thanks. From what I can gather, it seems to all work via the MusicCast app, which looks really good. I’m also going to consider the Yamaha WXA-50, which I think will do everything I need it to in a very compact box I can hide away.

The WXA-50 is a pretty compelling argument for anyone wanting a streamer and something I also considered. I just wanted something that looked a bit more traditional in one of the big hefty Yamaha boxes as I actually quite like the way they look. I have been listening to it all day today and am still marvelling at how good it sounds. :)

There's only one thing I haven't figured out and that's how to enable gapless playback.

The WXA-50 is a pretty compelling argument for anyone wanting a streamer and something I also considered. I just wanted something that looked a bit more traditional in one of the big hefty Yamaha boxes as I actually quite like the way they look. I have been listening to it all day today and am still marvelling at how good it sounds. :)

There's only one thing I haven't figured out and that's how to enable gapless playback.

My receiver does gapless from my NAS (as did the CD streamer) it also plays Spotify gaplessly.
I have also been trying out Qobuz as I got 3 months free with another toy - the WXAD-10 (lovely little streamer for plugging into an older second system) and I haven't yer been able to get gapless payback with Qobuz connect. The Qobuz app should be able to detect compatible players but doesn't seem to - very frustrating.
I don't think I had to change any settings to get gapless by the way, it may, in light of my comments above be a function of what service you are using.

Do it Ponty, I got an XWC-50 to go with my Nait 3 and those Castle speakers I had from you. It's all our son's room now and he thinks he's won in the hi-fi game!

Absolutely great sounding simple to use piece of kit with Spotify, Airplay, etc making it a joy... In fact I'm thinking about a WXA to go with my old Kans.

Jono

The RN602 is £20 more than the RN402D at Richer Sounds, so will look at both

The 602 is an audio bargain. I would class it is near as dammit to my previous Supernait 1 in absolute digitally converted SQ (the SN1 has on-board DACs) but with more functionality.

Do it Ponty, I got an XWC-50 to go with my Nait 3 and those Castle speakers I had from you. It's all our son's room now and he thinks he's won in the hi-fi game!

Absolutely great sounding simple to use piece of kit with Spotify, Airplay, etc making it a joy... In fact I'm thinking about a WXA to go with my old Kans.

Jono

Hi Jono, hope all is well. Lucky lad is all I can say! I’m torn between the WXA-50 and RN602. Both seem excellent products but swaying towards the WXA on size and aesthetics. It will run 4 tannoy ceiling speakers in the kitchen, so not the last word in audio but they can sound pretty decent for what they are. Either can be had for £329. Decisions decisions....

Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick,

We're all doing well. The WXA/C is certainly a compact enclosure and would probably be my choice for a kitchen installation as it could be tucked away easily.

Back on topic... I don't think any of the Yamaha offerings are poor sounding and do offer serious value for money.

Jono

I guess it depends on whether your speakers need the grunt of the class AB in the 602 - it also has a level of acoustic vibration isolation which seems to work well. I have speakers which don't really respond well to certain class d amps of low'ish cost.

I'm kinda kicking myself for not buying the 602 over the 402 now......

However, doesn't the 402 turf out more wpc than the 602? 140 vs 105 I believe.

advertisement

Back