advertisement

yamaha b-2 amp

karma67

pfm Member
im thinking of upgrading from my trusty sony 700es amp to a yamaha b-2 amp to drive my ns1000's.
this on paper is supposed to be a match made in heaven but the old v-fets is a cause for concern.
should i jump in?

Jamie,
I'm driving mine with Hitachi vfets. Sounds very good. Would like a b2 or b1 but they are difficult to find. Good luck with your search.

What other equipment do you use? (Or intend to use?)

Yes the B-2 is v good, but so are others..!!

There is zero substance in amplifiers and speakers of the same make having any special synergy together! They are different technical disciplines altogether and usually speakers and amps will be designed by different people/teams, often in different factories etc.

What other equipment do you use? (Or intend to use?)

Yes the B-2 is v good, but so are others..!!
hi,im using a nakamichi ca-5 pre amp,sony x555es cd player and a rock2 turntable

There is zero substance in amplifiers and speakers of the same make having any special synergy together! They are different technical disciplines altogether and usually speakers and amps will be designed by different people/teams, often in different factories etc.
im only going on internet postings re the match

Jamie,
I'm driving mine with Hitachi vfets. Sounds very good. Would like a b2 or b1 but they are difficult to find. Good luck with your search.

If it's any of the old Hitachi mosfet amps then they are horizontal mosfets, not vfets (V= Vertical). To generalise, HFETs are designed for audio whilst only a very few VFETs are. Probably 99% of mosfets are vfet's outside of audio.... Modern vfet's (they are not called vfet's these days as it is assumed all mosfets are vfet's unless expressly described as audio hfet's) have much lower on resistance, vastly higher transconductance and much higher current ratings than hfet's or the ancient vfet's in a Yamaha B2!

hi,im using a nakamichi ca-5 pre amp,sony x555es cd player and a rock2 turntable

Well reading up on your amp I’d say you’re already onto a good thing. I’m sure the change to a B-2 might be worthwhile, but I’m not sure if it will be night and day. The bass on the B-2 is the most wonderful thing and it digs right down compared to other Amps I used (8000A, then 8000p, as well as a Cymbol power amp) I also have a Yamaha AX2000 amplifier and will be doing a back to back test in a few weeks (am about to move House) so will report back after on that. I have a feeling the AX will also be very good as someone in Australia changed his B-2 to one of these as preferred it...

I have a silver 240v B-2 as you might remember, if you want to try it you’re welcome to either confirm the desire or debunk the mythical pairing for yourself. It’s boxed up at the moment for the imminent House move, and no before you ask I’m not posting it - it’s a struggle to lift with it’s huge dual power supplies. I’m in GU10.

hmm Jamie I ll be lookin out to learn what u think of the B2.
(we are both fans of the NS1000M, i am drSM on another forum)

im thinking of upgrading from my trusty sony 700es amp to a yamaha b-2 amp to drive my ns1000's.
this on paper is supposed to be a match made in heaven but the old v-fets is a cause for concern.
should i jump in?

The Yamaha B2 uses , IIRC, vertical power JFETS which are a different beast entirely to either VMOSFETS, or lateral MOSFETS like the Hitachi 2sj49/2sk134 series. Power JFETs are no longer manufactured and haven't been since about the late 70s and are consequently are as rare as hens teeth, so if you buy one and it goes wrong you can expect a very hefty repair bill if the person knows what they are doing.

should i jump in?
The Yamaha MOSFETs are unobtainium and there are no equivalent transistors, unlike bipolar ones. That's my only reservation about an otherwise fantastic amplifier. I drive my NS1000Ms with Pioneer C-21/M-22, which is period correct and sounds superb, even if the latter has only 30W per side. The purity of class A and function before form design put the vintage Pioneers heads and shoulders above my 'modern' amps - at least sound-wise.

advertisement

Back