advertisement

Wtd.. 2.8R 10w or 15w resisitor?

My minimum standard in passive XOs are Eagle Metal Oxide resistors, which are rated 10W.

James

You have a standard, so you must have made a judgement call, James?

Regarding noise, it's just speculation on my part wrt the mechanism by which the small resistor appears to sound noisier than the large one, I simply don't know, some sort of signal induced parasitic resonance? Thermal noise? RF pickup? Northerly wind?

No idea, I use Caddock MP930 30 Watt types in the Dyn Contours I use (which uses 11 watt wirewound as standard fitment in the tweeter circuit) also use BHI 100watt thick films in my poweramps output (whaaatt!! a hundred watt!!!) these where a preceded by 30watt Caddocks in the same position, unmistakably better sound, why? Beats me!

Anyone care to comment on the audibility of running your speakers without a lagging overcoat and scarf in winter? ;) :D

Albert,

I'm trying to understand why resistors sound different, a rather sad and geeky OCD sideline for the past two years or so.

That small resistors smell of dog poo and sound like a dog pooing is a given as far as I'm concerned, the question is why..

You have a standard, so you must have made a judgement call, James?
No, they are the best I can get at a reasonable price from my regular supplier (Madisound). They sound just fine.

No idea, I use Caddock MP930 30 Watt types in the Dyn Contours I use (which uses 11 watt wirewound as standard fitment in the tweeter circuit)
What sort of money do the Caddocks go for?

James

Sorry Mark. Please believe me, that final little attempt at light-heartedness was in no way intended to be a dig at what you are chasing. I just knew that I have a propensity to make posts longer and drier than they sometimes need be in order to be as clear as I can be. I figured if anyone can wade through what I wrote before then they deserve to end on a smile.

But, does no one agree or disagree with the point I tried to illustrate? Like you I really am trying to understand the kernel of what is being discussed. However, I cannot agree with your statement
That small resistors smell of dog poo and sound like a dog pooing is a given as far as I'm concerned, the question is why.
I would prefer to say: "If I find that small resistors smell of dog poo and sound like a dog pooing, the question I then ask is why." I can't help but think that the original generalisation is a dangerous one to base a whole yard of argument on.

We have become waylaid by the pseudo-scientific (i.e. carved on stone tablets), theories of a zero-tolerance path between sections of equipment or indeed sections of the same amplifier. For example, an arc welded speaker cable of hosepipe proportions is de rigeur according to some pundits.

LesW's No 1 Tip of the Year: In many cases, it's an advantage to incorporate a compliant interface somewhere in the chain - the music benefits immensely. The art is complete when that particular 'somewhere' is discovered.

What sort of money do the Caddocks go for?

James

James,

The name Caddock conjures up images of expensive stuff, they sound no different to something from Vishay or BHI, I just thought I'd give them a try, they are about two pounds each from Mouser IIRC, not in the Boutique Parts price range at all.

Sorry Mark. Please believe me, that final little attempt at light-heartedness was in no way intended to be a dig at what you are chasing. I just knew that I have a propensity to make posts longer and drier than they sometimes need be in order to be as clear as I can be. I figured if anyone can wade through what I wrote before then they deserve to end on a smile.

But, does no one agree or disagree with the point I tried to illustrate? Like you I really am trying to understand the kernel of what is being discussed. However, I cannot agree with your statement
I would prefer to say: "If I find that small resistors smell of dog poo and sound like a dog pooing, the question I then ask is why." I can't help but think that the original generalisation is a dangerous one to base a whole yard of argument on.

Albert,

I was a little over the top with that one, I was also really rather drunk :D

I'll amend to: small resistors generally smell of dog poo and tend to sound like a dog pooing.

I feel better!

We have become waylaid by the pseudo-scientific (i.e. carved on stone tablets), theories of a zero-tolerance path between sections of equipment or indeed sections of the same amplifier. For example, an arc welded speaker cable of hosepipe proportions is de rigeur according to some pundits.

LesW's No 1 Tip of the Year: In many cases, it's an advantage to incorporate a compliant interface somewhere in the chain - the music benefits immensely. The art is complete when that particular 'somewhere' is discovered.

Les,

Interesting, Naim use a decoupling method in their interconnect, I see that your NCC200 Resistors are 'spaced off' maybe for this purpose, a tribo-electric sponge?

Thanks Les- btw what's your opinion on 10w or 20w replacements for the 1/2w here?

all helpful Mark (Ive yet to launch them in the bin)- obviously more than one school of thought, so its worth taking care with this.

Rory,

be interesting to get those resistors in there (if they sound no different to you then don't tell anyone on here please, I'll need to save face)

of course if they sound better then let us all know (loudly) they should make all the difference.

Mark

Les,

Interesting, Naim use a decoupling method in their interconnect, I see that your NCC200 Resistors are 'spaced off' maybe for this purpose, a tribo-electric sponge?

Mark, if I told you, I would have to kill you...;)

In many cases, it's an advantage to incorporate a compliant interface somewhere in the chain
Very true, and i'd extend that to 'complaint and damped' - whether we're talking buildings, machines, or audio.

advertisement

Back