1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

World class stupidity

Discussion in 'off topic' started by russel, Mar 27, 2013.

1. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21939453

Even if you are not concerned about the ethics involved in this, and in my opinion they are not good, the economic insanity of locking someone up for twenty five years at what must be a cost of over half a million dollars for selling drugs worth less than two thousand must cause you to wonder whether someone has really thought this one through, or thought at all for that matter.

2. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Yes, you could hold up a bank at gunpoint and get a lighter sentence than he got.

3. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

What a sick society!

4. skito

skito pfm Member

I think the process and the punishment far exceeds the crime as an act of wrong doing itself by several magnitudes. That it is the legal process in action is scary. There has been no proper ethical consideration here. Someone on the other hand might make money locking people up if the prison services have private franchises whatever.

5. Mongeddavid

Mongeddavid pfm Member

The whole Legal system has become a bloated unusable mess and needs reform. So often what most of us perceive as Justice is not dished out. I believe there should be new law called the common sense law that over arches the rest of the system. This is needed in the UK as well.

6. dynodebs

dynodebs /°\

If we're going to have a Common Sense Law, can we have the 'Stands to Reason, dunnit?' evidence test and the 'Bloke Down Our Pub Says' judicial opinion?

I don't want mob rule under the guise of public opinion, thank you very much.

Debs

7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Is this 'three lines and you're out' legislation?

8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Baddiel and Skinner's only claim to fame.

9. Anex

Anex Señor Member

'Common sense' is generally akin to 'I'm not racist but...'.

10. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Common sense law = (s)he looks guilty therefore s(he) is guilty.

11. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Swift justice. That's what we need. Texas style.