advertisement

Wobbly Shaft

The clearance is indeed too small, as is, for a bush or grommet. If you go for either, I'd recommend a bush (probably machined to suit), rather than a grommet.
You could try to find a piece of engineering plastic/composite (something like oil-filled nylon), or PTFE, drill/ream that to size for the shaft and then mount the plastic on the inside of the case - simplest way would be to secure it with self tappers through the underside of the case. You'd need to do some reasonably accurate measuring, or secure the plastic in position and then drill/ream - not rocket science, but not for the kack-handed either.

I use old potentiometers, prize off the sleeve that the shaft runs through (often they are held on with folded "claws") and slide it over your shaft. Araldite the outer edge of the flange to the back of the front panel, ensuring no glue gets in the sleeve. Make sure you have a 6mm or 1/4" sleeve, depending on your shaft diameter. This is how I make shaft sleeves when making preamps. You can buy new pots for pennies.
Potentiometer-Alpha-Reverse-Audio-3-8-Bushing-Resistance.jpg

Ok so the shaft is 6mm and the hole 8mm.

Looks like this last option would be simplest / most solid in the long-run, unless you have a 6/8mm Nylon spacer Marra?

Looks as though there might be just enough gap to get a short length of shrink wrap tubing slid on from the front. If a length fit through then a jet of hot air to shrink it tight with perhaps another layer added if your knob, er...shaft, er...you know, still wobbles.

Re the hot air, I use a butane portable soldering iron with blower attachment.

Thanks to Keith (Marra) I'll have some nylon spacers to try later this week.

If that fails I'll have a go at one of the other options. Thanks all for the suggestions.

advertisement

Back