advertisement

Witch Hat Naim NAC82 "Superlink" Upgrade

It is believed that the Witch Hat modification takes the NAC82 sonic output to around 80% of the NAC52 ....... and possibly on par with the NAC252?

What is the sonic output of a standard 82/282 compared to a 52/252? 50%?

I have a 282 and would be interested to hear any recent thoughts on this modification.

I assume this discussion is centred on 82/282 with Supercap.

Does the mod have similar improvements with 2 Hicaps for powering the pre?

From what I’ve read, there may be some improvement but nothing like what it would be with the additional supplies in the Supercap
I’m sure @MJS would be able to tell us more.

I assume this discussion is centred on 82/282 with Supercap.

Does the mod have similar improvements with 2 Hicaps for powering the pre?

OK, so YMMV, but this is what I found with the basic Naim kit. My 82 is a late model POTS 8 with 523-S phono cards. I have run it from one HC, 2 HC & currently with an SC. I found that 2xHC over 1xHC was a significant improvement (all the usual stuff, frequency extension, instrument separation etc). I felt it was well worthwhile. Changing from 2xHC to SC was less obvious than 1xHC to 2xHC. However, when I hear things that I’ve never heard before (on my usual “test/evaluation tracks”, then I take an interest, and to this end I am happy with the SC. It remains to be seen (or indeed, heard) whether the Superlink builds on that.

The Superlink allows the 82 or 282 to run off 10 rails in the Supercap. We add an extra power rail and filter to the 82 similar to what's in the 282 and 252 where we split the time-aligned filter stage. That would yield a small improvement with one or two Hicaps but is best with the Supercap.

As mentioned before - all this is backwards compatible - you don't need a Supercap straight away after this mod, it'll still runs from the power amp, one or two Hicaps.

OK, so YMMV, but this is what I found with the basic Naim kit. My 82 is a late model POTS 8 with 523-S phono cards. I have run it from one HC, 2 HC & currently with an SC. I found that 2xHC over 1xHC was a significant improvement (all the usual stuff, frequency extension, instrument separation etc). I felt it was well worthwhile. Changing from 2xHC to SC was less obvious than 1xHC to 2xHC. However, when I hear things that I’ve never heard before (on my usual “test/evaluation tracks”, then I take an interest, and to this end I am happy with the SC. It remains to be seen (or indeed, heard) whether the Superlink builds on that.

There shouldn't be much of a difference with a non-Superlink 82 or 282 between 2 Hi-Caps or a Supercap. A stock [2]82 can only use 4 power rails. Whether that comes from 2 HiCaps or 1 SuperCap shouldn't make a tremendous difference.

The Superlink allows it to run off 10 rails in the Supercap. This is significantly different than either of the previously-described options.

There shouldn't be much of a difference with a non-Superlink 82 or 282 between 2 Hi-Caps or a Supercap. A stock [2]82 can only use 4 power rails. Whether that comes from 2 HiCaps or 1 SuperCap shouldn't make a tremendous difference.

The Superlink allows it to run off 10 rails in the Supercap. This is significantly different than either of the previously-described options.

And that pretty much sums up what I found going from 2xHC to the SC. Indeed, I have read that 2xHC is considered by some to be the “sweet spot”.

So why did I do it? Firstly because, I can see the rationale behind running the 82 from more rails than four, and secondly coz it’s fewer boxes innit..........

Last edited:
I've had my 82 back after the superlink for just over 3 weeks and it's thoroughly settled in. I think it's an excellent upgrade. While it still sounds like an 82, there's so much more of everything: more, detail, more clarity and above all more fun. I'm really enjoying both CDs and vinyl. There are lots of smile moments.

No hesitation in recommend this

Glad to hear it sounds so good. I’ll give this upgrade serious consideration after I’ve added a supercap to my 282

Further to indroducing the Opening Thread regarding the Witch Hat Audio Upgrade to the Naim NAC82 I had hoped/expected some review input from those who have had the upgrade work done. To date no one has posted their findings - I understand because should I be asked to "review" something I'm not sure that I would know where to start - I am therefore making a request to WHT audio to give us an insight into their findings.

To review audio kit I use the following Jennifer Warnes " The Well " track 1 ..... Perry Como "The Scene Changes" track 2 ...... Bonnie Raitt " Slipstream" tracks 6 and 7. ..... not a lot of tracks but sufficient ....... hopefully WHA may have access to them.

What I would like to know is the impression of these tracks from the Naim NAC82/Supercap in standard configuration ...... then using the same tracks what sonic "improvements" when listening with the "superlink" upgrade and then the changes heard when using the "superlink" upgrade with a TPRed Supercap.

When I see the statement that the "superlink" upgrade gets the NAC82 to within 80% of a NAC52 it does not mean a lot to me because I have not owned - nor may not have heard - the Naim NAC52 ......... I know that it's a wee bit unfair to ask the folks at WHT to review their own product but thay may be the only ones with access to the various stages ......... and I believe that they would not have published the upgrade if they were not convinced of the improvement to be had.

I do hope that you may indulge this request.

Thank You

I had the Link82 mod carried out by WHA on my NAC282 when I sent it in for a service, also my supercap had the Newt mod carried out. Both items were sent back to me with connection instructions and interconnects. The upgrade in sound quality was immense, greater clarity, sound stage, imaging and the Naim sound was not affected. I compared the sound of a friends NAC252 to my modded NAC282 and the difference in SQ was surprising, The 252 sounded less immediate with the presentation of the music, don't get me wrong the 252 is no slouch, it sounds great, but it didn't get my foot tapping. It's a very subjective issue, as what i like to hear from a HiFi might not be somebodies cup of tea. The most important thing to come out of this comparison was the tears and disbelief that my friends 252 didn't please him as much as my modded 282. I can highly recommend what the guys at WHA for what they know and do, I've used them for other bits and pieces and never been disappointed.

I'm proud of the Superlink upgrade. It follows Naim's 'more power supply rails = upgrade' philosophy perfectly, and uses their own kit to deliver improvements to their own preamps. It's just unlocking potential. Glad to hear the 282 SL stacking up against the 252.

I've had the Superlink mod done on my 282 and had it back for four days now so can give my views.

Externally there is very little change. The link2 DIN socket is replaced by a small Burndy type socket and that's it. Internally the amp has been rewired so that it can benefit from ten rails from a Supercap rather than just 4. A couple of link plugs are supplied so the amp can still be powered by a Hicap for example or direct connection to Nap 250 as before, so no change in connectivity.

Using the Superlink supplied Burndy cable with a Supercap, the amp still retains the liveliness and energy of the 282. It doesn't make it sound like a 252 which I wouldn't want in any case. What you do get is a significant improvement in clarity and differentiation. For example, vocal inflections are more evident and it is much easier to distinguish between singers in a group. Words in a song that had previously been difficult to discern are now much clearer. The different components of a drum kit (bass,snare,toms) are much more evident. Overall you can hear "deeper into the mix" and the sound remains very engaging.

So a worthwhile upgrade in my view at reasonable cost. Communication with Witch Hat was excellent.
Hi, may I ask if you still have the supercharged 282? If yes, do you have it connected to the Supercap DR and 250DR? Also, did you compare it with the 252 (or 552) since you mentioned the supercharged 282 does not sound like a 252?

I had the Link82 mod carried out by WHA on my NAC282 when I sent it in for a service, also my supercap had the Newt mod carried out. Both items were sent back to me with connection instructions and interconnects. The upgrade in sound quality was immense, greater clarity, sound stage, imaging and the Naim sound was not affected. I compared the sound of a friends NAC252 to my modded NAC282 and the difference in SQ was surprising, The 252 sounded less immediate with the presentation of the music, don't get me wrong the 252 is no slouch, it sounds great, but it didn't get my foot tapping. It's a very subjective issue, as what i like to hear from a HiFi might not be somebodies cup of tea. The most important thing to come out of this comparison was the tears and disbelief that my friends 252 didn't please him as much as my modded 282. I can highly recommend what the guys at WHA for what they know and do, I've used them for other bits and pieces and never been disappointed.
Hi, may I ask if you still have the supercharged NAC 282? If yes, do you have it connected to the Supercap DR and 250DR? Interesting that the owner of the 252 also thought that the supercharged 282 sounded better than his 252.

Hi, may I ask if you still have the supercharged NAC 282? If yes, do you have it connected to the Supercap DR and 250DR? Interesting that the owner of the 252 also thought that the supercharged 282 sounded better than his 252.

Yes I still have the NAC 282 and its connected to a Supercap, which has been Newt modded by Witch Hat Audio. (Six regulator boards have been fitted internally) I have two NAP 200's and a NAP 250 driving ATC SCM40 speakers.(Non DR)

Hi, may I ask if you still have the supercharged 282? If yes, do you have it connected to the Supercap DR and 250DR? Also, did you compare it with the 252 (or 552) since you mentioned the supercharged 282 does not sound like a 252?

Yes I still have the modded 282 with SCDR and 250 DR. I originally had a 282 sold it for a 252 but went backed to a 282 because although the 252 sounded more refined, I missed for want of a better word the “boogie” factor and connection to the music that the 282 provided. The modded 282 adds to this by adding more detail and insight to the music and sounds cleaner/clearer to my ears. But it still doesn’t sound like a 252, so it really comes down to personal preference.
The 552 is certainly better than the 252 and modded 282 , but at a cost.

I’d also been looking at a service for the 20 year old amp, and after the usual internet research, I gave Witch Hat a call to discuss my options.

I decided to go for the full service of NAC 82, NAP 250 and Supercap, along with the SuperLink Mod option and Phoenix Upgrade in the NAP 250.

I have had this back and running for 2 months now. Others have written about the improvements as they hear them. Myself, I listen to various tracks and notice something new or subtly different and need to replay that track. Everything sounds so much clearer and cleaner. Overall, I get that tingle down the spine at some female voices, and other musical moments. The whole listening experience is exciting. I always thought my system was great, but this combination of service and SuperLink Mod has taken it to another level. How much is due to the SuperLink, Phoenix Upgrade or the service or I can’t say, but if you’re going to do this, why go halfway?

I wish that I’d done it a long time ago! It’s a real serious upgrade, a major step change and represents great value for money.

System now Naim NAC 82 SuperLink, Supercap and NAP 250. Linn LP12 with Ittok V11 Addict and Hercules Power board, Speakers are PMC fact12 and Marantz CD10 which had been tweaked (clock and op amp I think) a few years ago when the laser failed. Incidentally, I took the CD10 with me to listen to speakers and was outstanding to current stuff. It took a Macintosh built like a tank and similarly priced to take the lead! So, this will stay with me as the cost of an upgrade can’t be justified. The LP12 still has the edge!

I'm interested in this for my NAC72. However since I've moved to Ryan Sound Labs cards equivalent to the NA321 and 729, and pulled out all the others except (i think) the relay, would i be able to get the benefit of multiple rails?

Jim

Relay card aside it sounds like you're using only 4 cards, so only 4 rails would be needed. I think the law of diminishing returns would kick in here.

So in this application (2) Hi-Caps should do the same job as 4 rails of a SC.

advertisement

Back