advertisement

Wishbone Ash 30 CDs

cyrusalan

pfm Member
2qt7v6q6h7yhevoxvyqs1936_31041.jpg

Too rich for me at £250 The all new deluxe Vintage Years 30 CD box set is loaded with material and available to pre-order now http://found.ee/WishboneAshVintage

Couldn't stop myself pre-ordering mine even though I have it all on vinyl and / or CD already!

They took my money, but delivery is not until April 2018.

Will be a labour of love going through all of these (in chronological order naturally).

So what do you regard as the must-have albums? Some say Argus, others prefer There's the Rub. I'm in the Argus camp myself. I also have No Smoke Without Fire which is alright... but should investigate their catalogue further.
I saw them at Newmarket Town Hall a couple of years ago, playing was really tight and the sound was spot-on. Well worth seeing.

The must-have albums are: Wishbone Ash, Pilgrimage, Argus, There's The Rub and Live Dates. And you continue on from there.....:D

The must-have albums are: Wishbone Ash, Pilgrimage, Argus, There's The Rub and Live Dates.

I'd add Live Dates Vol 2, New England & Front Page News as the best of the Mk 2 line-up.

Of the later Andy Powell albums I'd pick Illuminations

Not strictly Wishbone Ash (due to m'learned friends) but Martin Turner's Written In The Stars is very good.

On the back of this thread I've just streamed Argus - first time I've heard it in maybe 30 years. It was a total fave when I was at school and I'd forgotten how fabulous it is. I saw them live in 74/5 at The Rainbow - the first tour with Laurie Wiseman. This, Pilgrimage and the first record ( the only one I have) were essential records in Hertfordshire in the early mid 70s

On the back of this thread I've just streamed Argus - first time I've heard it in maybe 30 years. It was a total fave when I was at school and I'd forgotten how fabulous it is. I saw them live in 74/5 at The Rainbow - the first tour with Laurie Wiseman. This, Pilgrimage and the first record ( the only one I have) were essential records in Hertfordshire in the early mid 70s

I’ve only seen WA once, with Ted Turner on the Argus tour (in 71/72 -ish?), and the only time I’ve seen Laurie was when he was with Home. Still play Argus and Pilgimage tho’ :) (and Home’s The Alchemist!).

Edit: why does this d@mned spell-checker keep changing the name of their third album to “Argos”!!! :D:D:D

The Alchemist is another record I haven't played for years. As a teenager I was convinced it was a masterpiece. Slightly nervous to revisit it 40 years on!

Apologies to Mr Wisefield for getting his name wrong. Can't blame it on autocorrect.:(

I totally missed the fact that Wishbone Ash made a couple of techno records in the late 90s. Anyone heard them? Worth a listen. The idea sounds rather surreal, possible dreadful but also potentially intriguing.

The Alchemist is another record I haven't played for years. As a teenager I was convinced it was a masterpiece. Slightly nervous to revisit it 40 years on!

Apologies to Mr Wisefield for getting his name wrong. Can't blame it on autocorrect.:(

I totally missed the fact that Wishbone Ash made a couple of techno records in the late 90s. Anyone heard them? Worth a listen. The idea sounds rather surreal, possible dreadful but also potentially intriguing.

I'm with you on The Alchemist, was and still is IMO a masterpiece unfortunately my CD copy has a poor recording very thin and bright but offers a couple of extra tracks I'd not heard before. So I still play the LP version even with it's distortion (through being played so many times ) as it sounds better than the new digital production, perhaps one day it will get a better transfer. Also if you havn't got a copy of the record Home by Home give it a try, another great Album.

advertisement

Back