advertisement

Wideangle for EOS FF?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Thinking 20/2.8USM, previously had 17-40/4L but sold it (stupidly). Now wondering about special deal on 16-35/2.8Lmk2, which can be had for under a grand after cash-back deal. Anything else worth considering (including buying an EF-S compatible body plus wide-angle lens for the same money). No rush, happy to buy used, might end up back with the 17-40/4L...

My Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 is only supposed to work on ef-s, but it fits on my old eos 650 35mm as well, although not useable wider than 16mm. Maybe worth a thought.

Could be. I'm torn between keeping two systems going - EOS and Fuji X series - or selling the EOS kit and buying a second X1 Pro and maybe the 14/2.8 (and later on, the 23/1.4). I saw a yellow one in Heathrow T5 yesterday!!!

I'm in the same boat with both Canon EOS and a bucket load of Fuji's. I've decided to concentrate on the Fuji's as although I love the idea of some Canon Wide Angle Glass, I really don't think that I would use it that often, I am much, much more likely to take the Fuji kit out the door.

The clincher came with the last cashback option, that allowed me to by the 14mm and the 27mm for a grand and get £300 cashback (still waiting for it though!)

I'd consider very carefully your intended use for the camera, if you don't need the benefits of FF, or faster AF, then I would stay with the Fuji.

Well, I've only recently sold my EOS kit, including a 16-35 2.8L lens, in favour of Fuji kit. The lens in question IMO is quite superb if, like me, you like to do landscapes.

I've just treated myself to the Fuji 10-24. Early days but also seems a very good lens; ten minutes ago I took some nice shots down Derwentwater, be interesting to see how they come out.

One thing to be aware of is that the Lee Seven5 filters only work down to about 12mm on the 10-24 lens, you need the full Lee Filters to avoid vignetting at all focal distances.

Having had the Sigma 10-20 on a crop canon in the past, I found that I didn't shoot much below about 14mm, so went fir the fixed 14mm this time on the Fuji, especially as it has no IR hotspots and I wanted to experiment with IR landscapes

Lots of rave reviews on the internet for both the 10-24 and the 14, so whichever you choose you can't go wrong, then of course there is the Zeiss12mm and the forthcoming Samtang 10mm and 12mm lenses

Another 17-40, it's just lovely. I've had mine from my canon D30 days, so it's been on everything from a 3mp cropped body, film bodies, and now gets used full frame 16mp. It's great.

I would say though that the 17-40 used to out-perform most 16-35 copies, the new 16-35 is apparently a better optical formula, so this is something to consider.

One other option if you want *really* wide is the sigma 12-24 which looks lovely in their new lens style. Personally though, the joy of the 17-40 is that it covers up to normal lengths, being handy at 40mm on full frame. You know this though, you've had one before, so just get one ok?

Fixation have one second hand at the moment:

http://www.fixationuk.com/Fixation/Sales - SecondHand.html

I used the lovely Sigma 12-24 on my 5D and it was really difficult to fault. I've now gone Fuji and will need to find something wider than my (remarkably good) 16-50. The 10-24 looks good, but a bit too much money at the moment, so I'm tempted by the Samyang 10mm. I'm selecting for a forthcoming exhibition, and I'm rather surprised how much better the Fuji raw files are when compared to my old canon raw files...

The clincher came with the last cashback option, that allowed me to by the 14mm and the 27mm for a grand and get £300 cashback (still waiting for it though!)

I'd consider very carefully your intended use for the camera, if you don't need the benefits of FF, or faster AF, then I would stay with the Fuji.
I don't really; I had a shot of a 1Dx and it's great but huge, and I concluded that I'd far rather something compact.

Pity I missed that cashback deal... maybe another will come along.

Now, I coulda _sworn_ I saw a black & yellow X1 Pro in T5.... or did I hallucinate that?

Fuji are offering various colour lizard skin options on the cameras including bundled options including an x-pro1with all the lenses in a limited edition custom case. Just don't ask the price you'll need to sit down!

Love the 17-40 on the 5DmkIII

If you dont need 2.8, then go for the 17-40. I dont really see the point of the 16-35, its on a tripod, speed not relevant, need DoF, 1/2 price....

Depends. If you're intending to use it on a FF sensor camera (e.g. 5D), then I could happily recommend the 35mm F2. It's dirt cheap for a lens that takes great shots. However, it couldn't really be used as a wide angle on a crop sensor.

Love the 17-40 on the 5DmkIII

If you dont need 2.8, then go for the 17-40. I dont really see the point of the 16-35, its on a tripod, speed not relevant, need DoF, 1/2 price....

Before lashing out on the 16-35 I borrowed a 17-40 for a while, but really there was no contest; the 16-35 was well worth the extra.

As I said, with the older 16-35 the 17-40 was a more modern design and significantly superior at the wide end. The 16-35 was better than the 17-40 at the long end.

The new 16-35 II is a fancier design again, and I believe matches/exceeds the 17-40, but by how much is I reckon dependent on copy.

One thing to watch with all wide angles is the quality of any attached filter. You'll start seeing corner chromatic problems caused by filters with these lenses as the angle through them is very severe. Basically, if you want to compare corner sharpness do so without a filter, but you'll want one attached to make these lenses weather sealed.

That's actually a point, back to the original question, if you want weather sealed I think the canon ultra wides offer this, but i'm not sure what fuji offer (yet). I believe they have sealed versions of their lenses in the pipeline?

To be fair, one of the things putting me off another 17-40 is that it's just a tad ordinary, at least in comparison to some more exotic glass. Certainly, at the narrower end it's a bit meh - which isn;t to say that it's a bad lens, but the Fuji glass (for example) is certainly better - though not directly comparable. As was the Contax G outfit I have just sold - there was a special something about the images from the Zeiss lenses. I say that I was stupid to sell it- that I stand by, as I let it go for not nearly enough cash without really thinking it through...

Tokina do a very good 16-28 f2.8 lens. The later version is weather sealed and comes with a much better lens cap. However, this lens can only take filters if you use the same rig as for the Nikon 14-24. It also has that large bulbous front element to look after.

Considering the price and performance it may be worth a look if you are after a quality lens.

advertisement

Back