1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is pfm time always 8 hours behind UK?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TimR, Mar 2, 2012.

1. TimR

TimR pfm Member

... or is that a dumb question ?

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Mine isn`t.

3. TimR

TimR pfm Member

Really? Anyone know how to fix mine then ?
    Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid

4. Dik Dolan

Dik Dolan pfm Member

The time is off if you're not logged in. I assume it then shows the server time (which is U.S. based I think).
    If it's still wrong when you are logged in, check the Time Zone settings in your Control Panel/Edit Options section.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

^That.

6. TimR

TimR pfm Member

It's always wrong whether I'm logged in or not. Nothing wrong with my PC time, and it's the same whichever PC I'm using. I've just tested this by starting a remote desktop to a windows7 machine (this one is XP) and logging in to pfm. Exactly the same bad time. It does it from my work PC too. You chaps are not winding me up are you ? :)

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just change it in your UserCP (on the green menu bar beneath the site logo) - you can select your time-zone / daylight saving etc there.

8. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

I use two different work computers as well as my home one. All show correct time, it sounds like something didn`t get set when you first set up your account.

9. TimR

TimR pfm Member

Cheers Tony, that's fixed it - I wasn't aware of that setting.
    You don't know how long that's been annoying me but I've been too embarassed to ask :D

10. Dik Dolan

Dik Dolan pfm Member

11. kendo

kendo gloominati

Some members seem to have Date & Time options set to Victorian times.:)

12. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

All the answers are wrong... I have a few more plausible reasons:

1. its because you are using a very slow internet connection the "world clock" timing is often messed up due to small discrepancies in the interface you are using and you need to reclock locally, which basically means sit an alarm clock next to the computer you are using and you can see the time.

2. As this is digitally delivered time, sometimes bends in the cable means the 1's gets stuck in sharp twists and bends leaving the 0s to back up. Cable dressing and cable lifters will help here.

3. Poor quality wire: Don't underestimate the effect of good networking cable consider upgrading your network cables to something a little more Kwality: A $500 network cable from Denon. Other benefits are when using this some posts that were gibberish start making more sense and the PFM turquoise suddenly turns to proper pink when you do this. A better effect than buying properly mastered CDs IMV.

4. If you are truly serious about time then of course you ignore pfm time and buy a Rolex.

13. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

You can`t just expect to measure time with instruments - you have to feel it and use the time that suits you...

14. Fox

ah yes the delicate emotional interplay between 12:00 and 12:01. And the difference between 12:00 and 0:00 is night and day. Stunning.

15. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

fox

I never thought I would say this but I think you should spend more time defiling ponies.

Regards

Mick

16. Fox

Michael,

I'm only ever on PFM nowadays killing time waiting for my next fix.

[​IMG]
    (Link: SFW)

17. Still

Still gyldengourd

18. James N

James N pfm Member

Douglas Adams was BRILLIANT !!

19. 7_V

7_V filtered for a nicer experienc