advertisement

Why guilt on speaker cables and such

Anyone who's considering 3k cables vs 1k cables isn't basing performance on measurements. So if they're basing it on just opinion, welcome to the world where any choice can be validated by the opinions of others....

It's a pointless argument
Yes the argument itself is pointless. Because different people have different philosophies of what 'speaker cables are for, how to achieve that objective and how much to pay. If a philosophy works for someone and they are happy then it's a good philosophy. But it's personal, it doesn't have to be rationally arguable, and it's not guaranteed to work for anyone else (however much it gets vigorously evangelized).

We all have a tremendously sophisticated measuring device between our ears, that’s enough)
Well, our ears and the processing between (and the bits that look out to the front!) are essential for deciding what will work well for us individually.

As a measurement device, however, our ears and brains aren’t ideal, as a measurement device needs to be calibrated to a fixed standard. When was the last time any of us ”fully” checked out our hearing, not to mention psychological testing to check for degree of susceptibility to bias. Of course, there are any number of audiologists that will check our hearing but generally that is only from 250Hz to 8kHz and their tests are designed primarily for checking speech intelligibility and selling hearing aids.

It would be fascinating if everyone posting on this sort of thread posted their personal audiogram. If nothing else it would demonstrate that we can’t rely on the subjective assessments of others to match our own, however interesting such assessments may be.

As a measurement device, however, our ears and brains aren’t ideal, as a measurement device needs to be calibrated to a fixed standard.

It’s the same for vision for example, everybody knows that there’re numerous optical illusions, color perception could be different etc.

However what an adopters of measurements for audio are actually suggesting is to select a painting for your living room based on spectroscopy results. That would be weird, no?

For my current speaker and amp layout my right hand speaker cable, a rather fetching yellow ochre van den dull job, isn’t long enough with the result that it was snaking across the middle of the floor. Solution was to extend the cable with some generic stuff so that it now goes around the edge of the room!

Should I feel guilty? 😀

p.s. to my somewhat wonky hearing it makes not a single jot of difference; not sure whether to be concerned or relieved by that!

It’s the same for vision for example, everybody knows that there’re numerous optical illusions, color perception could be different etc.

However what an adopters of measurements for audio are actually suggesting is to select a painting for your living room based on spectroscopy results. That would be weird, no?
As I said our own “hearing” is invaluable for choosing what works for us personally but let’s not pretend that it is a measurement device.

As I said our own “hearing” is invaluable for choosing what works for us personally but let’s not pretend that it is a measurement device.

You’re saying that it is not because not calibrated. But it is calibrated only by…time. Hundreds thousands of years.

Not when there are well founded associations between colours and phychological "feelings", no.

advertisement

Back