1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which speakers are the brightest?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Minio, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Snoflo

Snoflo Active Member

There was a research letter in The Lancet in the late 90s that showed that some persons can hear all the way up to 26kHz. I sent John Atkinson of Stereophile a copy. I wonder if I can dig that up somewhere? Anyway, oil-can resonance for aluminium tweeters is usually around 20 - 25KHz so maybe that's why some people find these tweeters objectionable? Dunno.

2. Snoflo

Snoflo Active Member

3. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I find brightness volume dependant, at the sort of levels I listen at then nothing is terribly bright.

I once owned some Neats that I thought sounded wonderful, when I sold them I delivered them to the new owner who promptly hooked them up to an awful Krell thingy and cranked up some metal, they were painful to say the least.

4. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

A lot depends on the room. I imagine many speakers that sound over-bright in a sparsely furnished room would sound fine in a more heavily furnished one. Similarly a speaker that sounds fine in the former might sound dull in the latter.

5. mattgbell

mattgbell lycaon pictus

This paper has been debunked. The speaker used in the experiment may have been producing noise in the audible range.

6. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

I can understand how some systems can come over as bright, but can often measure quite well. I was recently in a bar with a live band with quite a lot of HF energy (cymbals etc) and it made me realise just how hard that probably is to replay in a living room.

From my experience, rooms play havoc with speakers' frequency response and an issue with the top end is very often a manifestation of a problems a lot lower down in the frequency range.

7. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Yes, I think that is true and related to the way different frequency ranges are propagated within a room.

Zu speakers can come over as pretty 'fierce' in the top end - if that helps the OP.

8. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Not the old Dr Oohashi paper again. Not only has it been thoroughly debunked a number of times, but in the 17 years since it was published there hasn't been any independent replication of confirmation of the result.

9. timola

timola pfm Member

I'm like you on this....I played the Alan Parsons HiFi setup recordings (which I recommend) and it has sweeps and tones all the way from 20Hz to 20Khz and I can't hear anything above 14Khz although it feels like something is there when I approach the tweeters. I only feel rumble below 40Hz.

I once blew (actually several times) my tweeters in Linn Kans and replaced these with Hiquaphone IIs, thought it would be an upgrade but they sounded a bit too bright for my liking....maybe the B110s were too old and not keeping up with the new tweeters. I wished I had bought the cheaper ones Oskar recommended the dpl-1s (I maybe wrong here, just typing from memory over 5 years ago). Edit: I'm 53.

10. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

It could be that what you hear when you are close to the tweeter is actually intermodulation products that reflect below 14 kHz.

11. Rodney gold

Rodney gold Im just me...

Room , treatments, distance , furnishings all affect brightness perception (2-5khz range) as does the level you play at (fletcher munson)
    Worst speakers I ever had re harshness were Modern Klipsches RF83 ... that horn had me reaching for earmuffs
    Even if your hearing only goes to , lets say , 12k ..if you low pass a set of speakers , even with a 48db/octave filter above that , the sound loses air and some detail/sparkle..

12. ra1stlin

ra1stlin Active Member

I find some Klipsch speakers really bright ..

13. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

They are voiced to sit on the floor and near a wall. Put that piezo tweeter at ear level and lose the corner gain and of course they are then bright

14. Minio

Minio pfm Member

Maybe Klipsch speakers are tested with a room full of people. It's a bit like setting up the pa when I was in a band.

Before the people come in it sounds bright and lively. With the audience in place it sounds much less so.

Yesterday I heard some budget Dali speakers in Mr Richers shop. Driven by some midi system thingy they sounded a little thin but the the upper part of the f spectrum was interesting to hear, nicely detailed.

I'm now forever wondering what they'd sound like with a bit more muscle driving them, like my Supernait 2. Or is that a a silly idea?

My next step: I'll try a f based hearing test!

15. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles Trade: MGM Audio

'...big, warm, fun and bouncy.'
    Reminds me of something, but I can't quite remember what...

16. eastone

eastone pfm Member

very good!

17. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

What piezo tweeter? Klipsch used the EV T35 horn tweeter for decades, then at some point replaced them with a lower cost dynamic equivalent (I dunno if The T35 became unavailable, or just became too expensive...).

18. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

I think her name was Meave...

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The K77 (EV T35 variant) is still used in all the Heritage line and is a proper horn tweeter. It is not a bad tweeter IMO, though not that extended (usually out of the game around 18kHz). Much of the problem is people not understanding where a Heresy should be placed - it is designed to sit flat on the floor and either against a rear wall or in a corner, as such it's tweeter is set at the crossover higher than the mid, which is higher than the bass. The balance is decent enough when used as intended, though beng very efficient they will show up any grain or hash in non-class A solid state. Far better with tube amps of their era.

20. busb

busb pfm Member

Celestion SL6s had metal domed tweeters & were hardly bright, My current German-made Quadrals have ribbon tweeters that supposedly extend into Exahertz region that are detailed without being bright (unless the music is).
    I maintain it's not the tech or the country of origin but the implementation.