1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which speakers are the brightest?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Minio, Feb 14, 2017.

1. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

I do wonder if what many describe as bright or harsh are actually the bass/mid drivers breaking up/crossed over badly rather than the tweeters ...

2. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

does it all really matter when you get to 65 and you cant hear above 10 khz?

3. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

Or a peak at tweeter resonance because of a dodgy xover design. This may not break the response much to still cause problems.

4. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

This may be an age thing ? I first became interested in hifi in my teens and lusted after Spendor BC1s, Gale 401s and Ditton 44s. Maybe that's my benchmark and I've not adapted to the greater detail (brightness) ?

I hear the extra brightness less well now !

5. amazement

amazement pfm Member

When I bought my first real hi fi the dealer played me a pair of mission or Cyrus speakers, had a headache after the dem. I settled on a pair of Castle Durhams in the end.

I do find as I get older I do require a bit more bite or brightness in the treble dept.

6. Vinyl Giraffe

Vinyl Giraffe pfm Member

As another person said, the German speakers, Cantons, MB Quarts, etc. often sound bright. I've thought that certain B&Ws and Klipsch speakers sound bright as well.

7. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

My friend has a pair of Cantons, they make my teeth itch. I had a pair of focal 1038s for about a week, that's as much as I could take.

8. radamel

radamel pfm Member

Some speakers when not properly driven can sound awful. With good quality amplification the exact same speakers may sound great.

The listening room is naturally very important too.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Klipsch, especially vintage ones are very easy to get to sound horrendous, and some, e.g. the Heresy are often misunderstood even to this day (they need to sit on the floor against a wall or in a corner, never on stands!). These are all vintage tube-era designs and tend to sound very wrong on highly damped solid state IME. They are also crazy efficient so will find the switching distortion, noise etc in a lot of electronics. (I've owned Heresys and currently have La Scalas in my TV system).

10. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

You could simply get an amp with tone controls...

11. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

No real need if you have the right kit in the first place. I just sent the focals back, realised that I was still completely happy with the speakers I'd been using for several years and saved myself over £5k. ;)

12. ampman

ampman pfm Member

Heybrook HB1 - headache inducing.

13. DNM

DNM pfm Member

Don't be silly they mangle the sound :)

14. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Quad Electrostatics, when the humidity gets too high and the lights are low.

The lightning effects are really bright...

15. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Depends on what you mean by bright, raised extreme treble >10kHz or presence region 4~6kHz where sibilance lives

16. Snoflo

Snoflo Active Member

Thiel loudspeakers (the original Jim Thiel designs) are like that.

17. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

This doesn't make any sense to me. Even if you have hearing loss, you still use the same ears to hear the real world as you do for reproduced music, so an overly-bright presentation won't sound more real.

18. cstanpfm

cstanpfm pfm Member

When playing a frequency sweep from 10Hz to 20KHz, I noticed that I cannot hear frequency around 16KHz while somewhere 17KHz onwards becomes audible again until some where near 18KHz to 19KHz where it becomes too soft to hear.

Maybe there are others like me that can't hear certain high frequencies.

19. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

The ones painting in reflective white paint

20. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Notches happen, often from industrial exposure, but it could be the speaker you are using having a notch or going into break up at 17kHz and generating sub-harmonics