advertisement

Which Phono Stage?

Ugg10

pfm Member
I have just sold my Edwards Apprentice phono stage and so need a replacement. MM only for the foreseeable future using an AT VM95ML For a while yet.

So, I think I would like to dip my toe into the Tube/Valve pool with the obvious choice being one of the Pro-Ject Tube Box versions (second hand) and so a budget around £250 has been set.

However as a DIYer I quite fancy having a go at one of the EAR834 or Marantz 7 clones that are out there.

Without getting into the ethics of the clone boards, I have a couple of Questions for the Forum which hopefully will help me decide what to do.

1) Is there a significant audible difference between the EAR and Marantz phono stages ? Or are there any other clones that I should look at.
2) Looks like there are two different Marantz board available, ones with a 6X4 Tube Rectifier and ones with solid state, again what’s the difference and is it audible?
3) I am likely to get the boards and possibly the transformer form abroad and will source the tubes separately in the UK, any preference or ones to look out for with a budget for three 12AX7/ECC83 of around £100. The Electro Harmonix Cryo are on sale at Watfords at the moment which look interesting.
4) and finally, there are a number of boards available, am I right in thinking the preferred ones are the black/gold ones? If not any recommendations for either EAR or Marantz.

Thanks in advance for resonse.

P.S. If discussion of clones is not allowed on the forum, Mods please delete.

According to Arkless, the EAR is essentially the same as the Croft MM stage, using two ECC83. If you have a hunt online, there is at least one website, quite old now, which gives detailed circuit diagrams for several Micro variants, which obviously includes a MM stage on such old circuits/designs.
The Croft stage gets pretty much rave reviews - I use one here, fed from a head amp', and have no intention of changing.

Beware that the Croft MM stage itself is designed to feed a valve, not SS, pre'. Beyond me, but the changes needed to better suit a SS pre' are reportedly pretty trivial, but make a world of difference.

Neither of the above mentioned phonos are that great TBH. The Hagtech one in the printed plastic case is very good, but I would be looking for a WAD one. Difficult to see how anyone could design something better with 3 triodes.

The Boozehound phonostage is stunning and very simple, you'll just need a set of matched JFETs - ideally Toshiba ones (we are talking moon on a stick here £££)

Neither of the above mentioned phonos are that great TBH. The Hagtech one in the printed plastic case is very good, but I would be looking for a WAD one. Difficult to see how anyone could design something better with 3 triodes.

The Boozehound phonostage is stunning and very simple, you'll just need a set of matched JFETs - ideally Toshiba ones (we are talking moon on a stick here £££)

I have kicad files for the WAD phono stage if you want.

@russel many thanks for the offer, still weighing up options at the moment but will drop you a message if I go down that route. Much appreciated.

Used Croft, ProJect or Graham Slee might fit the bill, but I see you are already considering some of these. There are some good projects over on Diyaudio, some by Pass Labs employees.

The Linear Systems equivalents may be even better than the original Toshiba parts, certainly very low noise. Search for LSK170, mainline distributors like Mouser have them.

advertisement

Back