advertisement

Which light meter?

The Gossen Digiflash is tiny and weighs only 40g. It handles both ambient light and flash with a range of EV 0 to 18:
prod_f_digiflash.jpg

You can save a bit with the Digisix model that omits the flash meter, but they are identical in size.

Nick

Actually, I think someone should invent a light meter with a tiny mobile-phone sized digi-cam and a 3" screen built in, like a modern version of a Polaroid back.

I read an article a while back about someone advocating using a Canon digicam to exposure meter/preview pictures he was making with a large format camera.

It made a lot of sense but took a bit of experience to translate the Canon exposures to the LF camera. IIRC the Canon had some kind of histogram exposure mode, so you could see where your exposure was and how much dynamic range was required. Ansel Adams would have loved it.

Patrick, yes, i've used a DSLR as a light meter, and if i'm travelling with both film and digital do tend to shoot digital first, gauge the light, then bring out the film camera.

I went with one of the sekonic meters as suggested. I'm looking forward to blaming just myself and the dodgy mechanical shutters on my old cameras for incorrect exposure now on!

Cesare

How about Sunny 16???

No seriously, if you use a standard film (in my case HP5), you can often guess the exposure after a bit of experience. I do that when travel with my M2 and 35 summilux - small, light, pocketable. I can usually get within a stop of what I need.

Charlie

Cliff,

Anyone using the L-398A ?
That's the Vuk special. It's a nice meter, but not much use at low and especially very low light levels.

I have the Moby special -- the Konica-Minolta Auto Meter VF. It does what a meter needs to do.

M8058103.jpg

B00000J6AG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Joe

Anyone using the L-398A ?

Yes, but mine is giving a half-stop difference for indicated exposures, with and without the high-reading slide. Sometimes it is more like 3/4 stop.

Tantris, the Pentax Spotmeters are nice pieces of kit. I used to use the Spotmeter V, though having found it a bit bulky for travel I'm contemplating the digital version.

Nick

Hi Nick;
I have both the analogue and digital meters; generally, the digital one is what I carry (smaller, lighter, possibly a bit more accurate), with the analogue as back up. The display of the digital meter is very easy to read in low light, but not in very bright light - the opposite applies to the analogue meter.
-- T

Tantris,

thanks for the info on the Digital version of the Pentax Spotmeter, it looks like a handy piece of gear.

Nick

advertisement

Back