advertisement

Which CD only release would you like on vinyl.

Rant by Ian Hunter (& the Rant Band) from 2001.
Awesome album, and still going strong at 78!

'Up' by Stanley Clark-if you can't afford to have a world class bassist come to your house, this is a good second best Someone may say 'Yes you can get it on vinyl', but I couldn't find it

John Coltrane - Complete Live at the Village Vanguard - AAA, Analogue Productions style. It would probably stretch to 8 or 9 LPs, so I’ll start saving my pennies now.

The Durutti Column's "Obey The Time". Promo-only LPs were made but AFAIK no general release on vinyl. This was the album that persuaded me to buy a CD player.

R-72274-1174043874.jpeg.jpg

:)

Definitely exists, I know as I have it! A few copies on Discogs, not cheap for a nice one, but it is definitely a thing.

2 v N by Steely Dan. The original vinyl release goes for silly money.

I had a copy and it is a lovely quiet flat pressing, though to my ears it sounds just the same as the CD (i.e. very good indeed). I used to use it to tune my deck to the CD player, but once I realised how much it was worth I let it go. I’m perfectly happy with the CD!

Definitely exists, I know as I have it! A few copies on Discogs, not cheap for a nice one, but it is definitely a thing.
Care to part with it, Tony...hmmm? ;)

(Is it of similair pressing quality as other Factory Durutti Column LPs?
ie, not great?)

The Durutti Column's "Obey The Time". Promo-only LPs were made but AFAIK no general release on vinyl. This was the album that persuaded me to buy a CD player.

R-72274-1174043874.jpeg.jpg

:)

I've got that on vinyl, and the The Together Mix 12". Pretty sure it's not a promo.

eta - Discogs says it came out on vinyl.

Care to part with it, Tony...hmmm? ;)

(Is it of similair pressing quality as other Factory Durutti Column LPs?
ie, not great?)

I’m far from complete on DC (I have about 6 or the albums) but I really like it so wouldn’t want to shift it. I really like the mastering and pressing quality of all the Factory stuff I have, but as ever with ‘80s pop/rock you need to find copies that were initially bought by people like me who dropped the vinyl straight into a Nagaoka inner to protect it from inevitable damage from the hard card inner. Obey The Time has a known issue, at least I've heard several people report it, and that is a jump/stick on the last track on one side. I haven’t played my (absolutely mint) copy for a while but I always remember it having it.

I’m far from complete on DC (I have about 6 or the albums) but I really like it so wouldn’t want to shift it. I really like the mastering and pressing quality of all the Factory stuff I have, but as ever with ‘80s pop/rock you need to find copies that were initially bought by people like me who dropped the vinyl straight into a Nagaoka inner to protect it from inevitable damage from the hard card inner. Obey The Time has a known issue, at least I've heard several people report it, and that is a jump/stick on the last track on one side. I haven’t played my (absolutely mint) copy for a while but I always remember it having it.
Sigh...:)

(...if you do find another copy 'though, I would snap it up! Their albums seldom turn up around here in Dundee, not mainstream or obscure enough for the visiting record fairs, alas.)

Yup, I seem to remember a pressing flaw on mine.
You've got me looking at the Factory Too CD reissue (where I spotted the TG&OM reissue I've just posted about)

For me it would have to be one of the Necks from a while ago.
What about you?

Bloss

Ps. good sq taken for granted.

The only problem with that though is that they don't fit the lp format, most being around an hour long track. Even Aquatic with track 1 being around 27 minutes is pushing it for the format.

The only problem with that though is that they don't fit the lp format, most being around an hour long track. Even Aquatic with track 1 being around 27 minutes is pushing it for the format.

Good point. Yes I agree, 17-20mins max per side.
This is fairly typical for me dreaming before considering practicalities.

Bloss

advertisement

Back