advertisement

Wheres me damn 35mm!

Thanks Palp, its nice to see I am not upsetting everyone haha.

I will check the link later right now I have a load of ebay finishes coming up and a rather spiffing curry which is so very nearly ready.

vuk said:
do you have a proper light meter?

cinemasupplies_1889_46867324

(not my photo)

vuk.
Here's the back.

SekonicStudioDeluxeL398MK2.jpg

A photo taken with a £38 camera.
Brianboards03-04-06067.jpg

i'm all for £38 cameras!

hey, here's a picture taken with a £12 camera:

BW004902-diner.jpg

cheers,
vuk.

I'll confess to being intimidated by a light meter I played with one in a shop (admittedly it looked like it might be from the ark) and did not have a clue.

vuk said:
i'm all for £38 cameras!

hey, here's a picture taken with a £12 camera:

vuk.

Snap !

So why all the talk hear of expensive Summitars/Blads - Canon/Nikons etc ? Some of these Kiev 4 a's cost less than a tenner and can give excellent results.

kiev4.jpg

i certainly don't promote expensive stuff. it's unfortunate that leica makes good lenses, but even those can be had at a good price if you don't care about collector issues. if you are willing to put up with leica SLR, then it all costs peanuts. i purchased a summicron R 50 for $125! recall, that i am also an advocate of the pentax DSLRs.

here is my £12 ($25) camera:

zorki_IMGP0064-01.jpg

vuk.

p.s. gary, notice the nice bokeh. that's the pentax 50mm f/1.4

Altough well meant ,I suppose, the advice given to you to take pics with an aperture of f 8 or f 11 to prevent "bokeh" is in my opinion not the most sound advice. So is learning the ins and outs of photography with a digicam(era).
It'll result in dissappointment. My advice : buy a Olympus e-300 for the forthcoming babypics and something like an old fully manual camera to understand the basics of photography. With a proper incident lightmeter I might add.

Rob.

Vuk would it not be fair to say your DOF is significantly different to the pictures I posted? Would this not effect Bokeh?

gary.

the picture above was shot at f/4 on a 50mm lens (on a camera with similar sensor size issues as yours). because i was close to the subject, there is considerable out-of-focus area behind it. not as extreme as i could have made it at f/1.4, but then parts of the subject would not have been clear. anyhow, for me, it is sufficient to see the qualities of bokeh in this lens. the texture/reflections of the cloth melt in a dreamy way, not jaggedy fizzle.

vuk.

guy.

i have no first hand experience with the sekonic L-208. i suspect it may not be quite as precise as the bigger borther, but that would only be a guess.

vuk.

Thank Vuk.

The main issue I have with the D50 is you can't see a terrific amount through the lens for manual focusing. I will however keep an eye on it.

igary.

that lens is wide enough that you don't have to focus very accurately (recall the lesson from the other thread).

vuk.

vuk said:
i certainly don't promote expensive stuff. it's unfortunate that leica makes good lenses, but even those can be had at a good price if you don't care about collector issues. if you are willing to put up with leica SLR, then it all costs peanuts. i purchased a summicron R 50 for $125! recall, that i am also an advocate of the pentax DSLRs.

here is my £12 ($25) camera:

zorki_IMGP0064-01.jpg

vuk.
Seems cheap at £12 ($25),did that include the finder ? :)

I thought I had one of those L-398's,just that it took 2 hours to find !

lightmeter03-04-06078.jpg

lightmeter03-04-06080.jpg

lightmeter03-04-06087.jpg

Rob,

Altough well meant ,I suppose, the advice given to you to take pics with an aperture of f 8 or f 11 to prevent "bokeh" is in my opinion not the most sound advice
I was half joking, but given that most of Gary's pix are landscapes and scenics -- at least the ones I've seen -- it's not altogether bad advice.

My serious advice, however, is for Gary to buy an M7 with an 35mm f/2, 50mm f/2 and 90mm f/2.8, along with a $10k drum scanner.

Joe

...also, are you familiar with that super orion 28mm for the nikon and what do you think? over on the leica forum, people have been saying very nice things about the LTM equivalent.

everyone needs at least one russian lens. don't disappoint me gary, look at all this:

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/nikon_cameras_lenses.htm

they even have the jupiter 9 for nikon!

vuk.

advertisement

Back