advertisement

Wheres me damn 35mm!

I have just cancelled with microglobe as they won't be able to get one for 2 more weeks.

This is some sort of sick joke I am sure of it.

In the mean time some more of the dog with this new lens which I have to say I am made up about.

poppy2.jpg

poppy3.jpg

Right I have had a customary change of heart after seeing some good deals on used lenses.

I have got a 35mm AF second hand for 100 quid. I have been warned about sticky apertures from you guys. I spoke to the guy on the phone who was also aware and has assured me this one is lovely and snappy. He knew his stuff.

This freed up a few quid to also purchase a second hand AF 50mm 1.8 and I save 40 quid and both are on for tomorrow.

So there you go.

Greg, how come you don't like cats?
I don't not like cats. I just...I just prefer dogs. I mean, I'm just more of a dog kind of, you know...come home, wagging their little tails, happy to see you kind of...
You need that assurance? You prefer an emotionally shallow animal?
I...
You see, Greg, when you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection. They don't sell out the way dogs do.

ErikL said:
Chicks see guys with dogs and they flirt.

This doesn't happen if you're out walking a cat.

He he - it's not as strange as it sounds; we had to take our cat out on a lead when we went away on holidays; she was fairly elderly, and a big wuss, so we didn't want her getting a) lost or b) having the **** kicked out of her by another cat. Oh, and she adopted us, which was pretty cool.

I have to admit, I don't see the attraction with dogs one bit. That said, I need all the help I can get on the woman front :) Where can I buy a German shepherd dog (that, or a Labrador, are the only type of mutt I'd give house room to - small yappy jumpy dogs do my head in).

Actually, I'm not really serious on the dog question above, but then again...

Dom, word to the wise big dogs do not get you good women, they got you women called Mercedes.

Get a small(ish) dog. Admittedly mine is particularly small, but I don't care if people think I am gay haha.

To be brutally honest if you still look like that picture you posted with the number one all over and weighing about 3 stone, you are not going to pull a woman with a German Shepard ;)

I see you with a bitch Boxer dog, but not brindle they are horrid.

Got me 25mm and 50mm today.

I see very quickly the potential of the 35mm, I am very excited! Both lenses are like new as well, so two for the price of one and 30 quid saved. I am off to play.

I of course meant 35mm

And yes I have been having some great fun. Deleted around 80% more than I kept but thats not the point.

The 35mm is excellent to use very fast focus (compares other lenses I have used) And it just feels 'right' for people shots.

35mm:

tree.jpg

cow.jpg

50mm

field.jpg

The zoom lens (I really love this lens hehe)

tree50.jpg

igary.

the bokeh of your 35mm lens is quite bad. the unit does appear to be sharp, however, hence appropriate for certain types of pictures. the 50mm shot does not flatter the lens--we'd have to see more. as for the zoom, you should practice throwing it farther away than its range: a total piece of junk it is.

vuk.

Here is another 50mm shot as I do not really know what you meant:

yellow.jpg

Here is another 35mm shot.

yellow1.jpg

iary.

the bokeh in both of those pictures is not got. it is especially bad in the 50mm shot. look at how distracting the entire background is, like a sea of jagged little blury shapes. one particular aspect of the problematic rendition is actually easiest to pin-point in the 35mm pic. have a look inside the area i've marked with red:

igary_yellow1.jpg

now, for purposes of comaprision, here is how out out-of-focus highlights should appear:

BW010905-eatonC.jpg

vuk.

igary.

another thing to observe in the example above...

notice how, in your picture, even though it's quite clear there are several "planes" of depth, the image somehow fails to convey any sense of 3-dmensionality. yes, this is the sort of talk to hang me as a round-earther, but in photography such matters are extremely important. part of the problem is a digital sensor (i think) and part is to do with the lens.

before you jump to conclusions, the lens used in my shot can be had for $25 on ebay, complete with a working camera body attached to it. i can't recall the film right now, but i'm pretty sure it was tri-x.

vuk.

Gary,

I wouldn't worry too much about things like bokeh at this stage. It's intereesting and all but for now just take lots of pictures and as you get a feel for what works and what doesn't you will improve.

Be encouraged that your pictures, exhibiting as they do things like selective focus and deliberate composition, indicate you are moving in the right direction.

Matthew

matthew.

a few years ago i smiled from ear to ear as i took a picture i just knew was going to be among my very best. unfortunately, i was using a new lens and had no idea how its bokeh would shatter my dreams. the two people i've shown the slide to (by accident) both thought the picture was the most maginficent thing they had ever seen. in my opinion, the shot represents a wasted opportunity (that was no longer there went i went back) and a failure. i only keep the horrid slide as a reminder never to make such a mistake again.

i don't think a sensitive-chef type like gary would ever recover from such an experience.

vuk.

Luckily a sensitive chef guy like gary can take it on the chin.

I appreciate your comments Vuk.

Now with the understanding that I have been lens swapping like a prat for the last 3 months and I have a baby on the way in 4 weeks, (yes four weeks gulp) what if anything can be done to minimise poor bokeh, or am I farked as it were? There is going to be no more swapping for as long while. I am trying to take your first advice of using a 35mm until I learn.

One other thing. I live in the country side and frankly I can see that to get ahead in photography one needs the confidence to ask people to shot them to get something a little more interesting than the shots I put up here. I would hope that if subject matter was fantastic one could be forgiven a bit of bad bokeh?

Thanks Matthew.

vuk said:
the two people i've shown the slide to (by accident) both thought the picture was the most maginficent thing they had ever seen.

in my opinion, the shot represents a wasted opportunity (that was no longer there went i went back) and a failure. i only keep the horrid slide as a reminder never to make such a mistake again.
Something is desparately wrong with you then. That would be like musician throwing away their best ever recording because of a couple of bum notes. It's an incredibly round-earth attitude. You're concentrating on the insignificant details instead of seeing the picture as a whole.

Gary - you definitely don't need to concern yourself with bokeh at this stage. FWIW the lens on the old E-10 has pretty good bokeh.

Michael.

iGary - looking at your habitat, it looks like you'll be taking a lot of landscape shots. I can't see where bokeh is going to fit in there, unless you're planning on using unfeasibly wide apertures.

As for your forthcoming baby pictures, I suspect you'll be looking at the baby, not the background.

Your cow-shot and grass-scape look great. The zoom lens shot looks pretty muddy though. Stick to yer primes!

That would be like musician throwing away their best ever recording because of a couple of bum notes.

It’s worse than that, this is deciding whether a recording is good or not by looking at what make of guitar the musician has. Any good artist will get good results regardless of the tools available. With photography I’m a big fan of the Lomo – a primitive fixed focal length compact that has been used by many worldwide to produce truly wonderful pictures. Colour saturation, distortion, blur. All can be good things! A pure punk attitude. Had I not moved completely over to digital I’d still use one.

Tony.

advertisement

Back