advertisement

What's your most pretentious/Most stupid hifi product name

No one has mentioned DCM Time Windows. I don't know if that's pretentious or just a bit too sci-fi (sci-fi hi-fi, ho-ho) but I liked it.

When I still lived in Turin, there was an audio craftsman who did mostly pro, night club installations but didn't despise trying to smash into the hiend market.
Once he called me, would I audition his new loudspeaker? It was a pyramid with arrays of assorted drivers on all sides, sounded like a hangover and was meant to be called >Apocalypse Now<.

I think that is still unbeaten. Too bad it never entered regular production.

Since I realized that dogs are better and more deserving of a long and loved life rather than most people I meet that, frankly, don't really deserve to be walking about on this planet.

Hey, human beings are so hated by everyone lately that I'm almost beginning to like them - oh, no, I just remembered our Prime Minister..

Usually from the USA and not worth it. "Reference" gear is pretentious overblown and unlistenable to a very high degree.
Reference = slow,bloated,uninvolving, and astronomical in cost.

Calling something a "Zen" anything is pathetic, too.

I'm a crank.

Jerold

It is not hifi product, but in Korea there one car called "Kia Potentia" ;)

It was not delivered on European Market, you can see it only in South Korea.

"Reference = slow,bloated,uninvolving, and astronomical in cost. "

So Whoosh,
what reference equipement have you been listening to that gives you this idea.

Remember KEF's "Coinicidence" range?

We (then trade) quipped that it was a coincidence that they had copied Tannoys Dual Concentric!

Someone mentioned the TM signature Roksan, well if Marantz can get away with Ken Ishiwata signatures, why not ;)

NAD - New Acoustic Dimension and given the 3020's rep who's to argue.

Most pretentious? Eventus Audio Mentis, clearly chosen without looking at a dictionary. Mentis means 'lie or fib' in French!

regards,

Giles

My fav piece of pretentiousness is when a reviewer calls his living room or listening room his 'studio.'

Studios are usually where something creative happens. Maybe they are referring to their creative writing.

As much as it pains me; my Bow Wazoo XL must be in there. One look at the urban dictionary for their various definitions of 'wazoo' had me wondering what I'd taken on! Good amp though

I've been given the following advice by several foreign distributors over the years. "Just call it B250 or R400 or similar. Don't give it a name. People in our country can't remember a name & your pricelist won't make any logical sense. Stick to a combination of letters & numbers and just keep it short!"

Can't believe no one was mentioned:

Great American Sound - "Son of Ampzilla"!

I'd love one of those, just to be able to say I had one.....

Chris

Emotiva and Gryphon (with that logo).

The whole Emotiva and the gawdy blue lights...you couldn't give me that stuff.

Odd this should come up because we were looking through a HiFi Year Book from 1960. Some of the names were utterly fabulous....steroette crystelle gaylord and stuff like that.Loads of 'Princesses' and 'Royals' and stuff like that. Most of it sounded like the names attached to camper vans. Those were the days.......

I ignore the names, I make a judgement after I've auditioned a piece in my studio with my own loom and isolation products.

advertisement

Back