advertisement

What's your most pretentious/Most stupid hifi product name

I thought the Linn spelling meant it was made in the same design shops & factory as Ikea. Does it come flat packed?

IMO Wilson Audio's speaker all have stupid names

Alexandria
Thor's Hammer
Maxx
Watt Puppy 8
Sophia Duette

At a tender age I was homebound on the London underground having visited my first hi-fi show. I went there specifically to see the Pink Triangle turntable in the flesh and talk to "Arthur and Neil" IIRC.

Spotting someone waiting for the next tube wearing a pink triangle badge I enthusiastically accosted them about the show. They were taken aback and it was a hard lesson that the name and badge already had a more powerful historical connotation :-o

FWIW I recall the PT guys stating it was magenta, the colour of love but then heard later (fairly or not) that "short-shirts" were the motivation behind the name.

My speakers by Cadence carry a short but pretentious name of "Amaya" which means some tripe such as "chosen one" in Sanskrit. I was going to say that Joe's fun menu system for names had it all wrapped up but feel obliged to offer that for Greek names, Sanskrit would seem equally bucket-inducing.

Goldwater speaker cable by Van Den Hul. I wonder if it showers one's musical experience with sonic splendour, and whether it improves over the Audioquest Brown of the 90s?

nad. the most boring stupid name. rega is stupid cos it sounds weak and plain. arcam alpha is as intersting as austin allegro, & Ergo cos its so close to Ego.

Coincident's "Total Victory" would get my vote.

Pity they're actually a "Complete Disaster".

how about the Consonance, Forbidden City "Ping" all in one job. Can you imagine going into a shop and asking for a "Ping" . And if you've got vinyl how about asking for a Revolver"Pig" disc clamp at the same time. "I'll have a Ping and a Pig, please"

C'mon guys, JBL had a speaker called "Everest" in the 80's. The fecking things were the size of Everest though so fair play :D

The portal to execrably named audio noncery is Six Moons. Gaze on it ye whimsical and despair.
That's a typo. It's actually Six Loons.

Joe's system gets there. It's modular, so you can adjust mythological and numerological systems to taste.

I can't forget your Hello Kitty emblazoned Strat (or was it a Tele?) no matter how much I try;-)

Strat.
pinkguitars.jpg

I'll never understand why but twenty years from now it will probably be collectible.

Nice Tele...had a '68 once. Still kick myself for selling it...best guitar I ever owned.

advertisement

Back