advertisement

What's all the aggression about in the audio room?

In truth, I have fallen into the trap of this thread and risen to the bait.

Listening to the pontification of people whose opinion is no better than the next person and yet they consider they are the font of all knowledge.

They bought an LP12.

So, sunshine, if you buy stuff, you're not conned, but if other people buy stuff you didn't buy, they were conned. Really mature world view there!

Spacey, you know as well as I do that the LP12 is just about the greatest con the audio world has ever seen and credit to those on pfm who have admitted not only going back to the turntables that that turntable replaced but now having a better sound as a result.

I may, relatively speaking, be the new kid on the audio block, here, and may not buy anything :D but it only took me 5 minutes of listening to one next to an idler to hear the night and day, and buy the idler, so maybe I'm learning rather more quickly than I had thought.

yep! +1 mine lasted 6 months then went.... my present fave rave is my technics sl150 mk2 which was actually more expensive than the lp12 (without arm yes) at the time.

So, sunshine, if you buy stuff, you not conned, but if other people buy stuff you didn't buy, they were conned. Really mature world view there!

If you bothered to read my post you will note that rather a lot of people have deserted the LP12.

I am very poor.

Are you suggesting that I was "conned" by paying £275 for a Garrard 301 and SME 3012 series II tonearm?

What is immature is the ramblings over page after page by people pretending they know so much when I am beginning to realise they...don't.

You see, I have never suggested I know anything.

The con is over when you realise the emperor has no clothes.

Arkless, I respect the fact it is a hobby.

I just want the music and came on the forums to learn from my betters.

I am beginning to learn that things are not what they seem.

If you bothered to read my post you will note that rather a lot of people have deserted the LP12.

I am very poor.

Are you suggesting that I was "conned" by paying £275 for a Garrard 301 and SME 3012 series II tonearm?

What is immature is the ramblings over page after page by people pretending they know so much when I am beginning to realise they...don't.

Where did I suggest you were conned. I'm sure your Garrard sounds great and a bargain at that price. I'm sure you enjoy listening it.

What that has got to do with people who bought an LP12 being conned I have no idea.

I think the increased aggression (if there is) on the audio forum is partly to do with the fact that people can't just be positive about their decisions, they have to be negative and critical about what other people do.

Where did I suggest you were conned. I'm sure your Garrard sounds great and a bargain at that price. I'm sure you enjoy listening it.

What that has got to do with people who bought an LP12 being conned I have no idea.

I think the increased aggression (if there is) on the audio forum is partly to do with the fact that people can't just be positive about their decisions, they have to be negative and critical about what other people do.

I would, entirely, agree and had I been suscepible to such sway from others, that you refer to, I would have bought an LP12.

The turntable in question, is not the issue, and I am not interested in a ding dong about this turntable.

I came on the forums to learn and decide what to buy.

I may not be very bright but the excellent point you make dosen't make it any easier deciding what to get!

I would, entirely, agree and had I been suscepible to such sway from others, that you refer to, I would have bought an LP12.

The turntable in question, is not the issue, and I am not interested in a ding dong about this turntable.

I came on the forums to learn and decide what to buy.

I may not be very bright but the excellent point you make dosen't make it any easier deciding what to get!

BlueEyes,

I guess we all need some sort of filter to sort out good advice and bad advice.

What I can say is that you do not need to worry about turntables any more. Your TT journey is at an end with the Garrard. You picked a great TT at a great price. Enjoy it, and if you feel inclined, talk about your experiences listening to music on it.

PS If I could get a Garrard 301 and SME 3012 Series II tonearm for anywhere close to £275 (about A$425) I would buy it in a heartbeat.

A lot of people would join the LP12 club if they could afford it. A fine sounding turntable, up there with the best. I'd love one.

I can afford an LP12, but have about as much desire for one as I do a pair of CROCs.

Id own it if it was given to me, might use it, but dont care either way. meh

All this 'LP12 is a con' talk sums up the OP, especially when it comes from some who were welcomed into peoples homes without the hosts knowing them from Adam only to see this hospitality rewarded with some reactionary BS slagging off their choices. So the former spirit of community and friendship is devalued and ruined by egregious comments that fail to respect other peoples choices. IMHO having owned one in the 80's, the LP12 was a really nice deck, you can get different for less and more, new or restored vintage.

I am very poor.

You should have auditioned an ariston ,i did and the rumble dissapeared
Plenty of them still around, if you can get your hands on one.

I saw this by accident as I popped in to check Tonys record listings. I had decided that I would not post in the discussion part of the forum again, but having thought long and hard about it I need to stand up and be counted. Then I wondered about posting anonymously? NO! Why should I be cowed by the bullies? So under my name it is.

I 100% agree with the OP. The bullies have taken the upper hand on the forum, and by default it seems to have become the accepted culture. (if it is allowed by the admin/mods, then by default it becomes accepted)

I totally agree that 'your' opinion is every bit as valid as 'mine', but just because you are shouting louder, or use other bullying tactics, it is no more valid than my opinion.

Most disputes/conflicts in the world are (in whole or part) due to not seeing the other persons point of view. You do not have to agree with it, just accept that it is no more or less valid than yours.

All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing

Bullies always to think that their enjoyment override everyone elses feelings. Well, try putting yourself in the other persons point of view. Think how it feels to be mocked for having the views you have. Let me tell you, it makes you feel like shit. If that is your idea of fun, then I truly feel sorry for you.

I have spent the last couple of days trying to get my thoughts in some sort of order, and I still do not feel that I have succeeded, but you get the jist.

THINK BEFORE YOU POST. It costs nothing to see things from the other sides point of view. Who knows, if everyone starts doing it the would might become a better place.

A lot of members who's views I respect have stopped (or slowed) posting. It cant be because they have nothing to say can it? I will not be posting again until/unless the attitude improves and the 'forum' is more welcoming to others views.

Given Spacey's original thread title, the thread content has become comical. Background music for the thread could be The Banana Splits tune. Spacey, you've gone and let the genie out of the bottle....

I saw this by accident as I popped in to check Tonys record listings. I had decided that I would not post in the discussion part of the forum again, but having thought long and hard about it I need to stand up and be counted. Then I wondered about posting anonymously? NO! Why should I be cowed by the bullies? So under my name it is.

How courageous. :rolleyes:

You girl.

reminds me of the old adage "If you can't do something properly, then teach it , if you can't even do that, then become a journalist"

I thought it was "those who can, do; those who can't, teach; those who can't teach, teach teachers".

I 100% agree with the OP. The bullies have taken the upper hand on the forum, and by default it seems to have become the accepted culture. (if it is allowed by the admin/mods, then by default it becomes accepted)

I totally agree that 'your' opinion is every bit as valid as 'mine', but just because you are shouting louder, or use other bullying tactics, it is no more valid than my opinion.

Most disputes/conflicts in the world are (in whole or part) due to not seeing the other persons point of view. You do not have to agree with it, just accept that it is no more or less valid than yours.

Bullies always to think that their enjoyment override everyone elses feelings. Well, try putting yourself in the other persons point of view. Think how it feels to be mocked for having the views you have. Let me tell you, it makes you feel like shit. If that is your idea of fun, then I truly feel sorry for you.

I have spent the last couple of days trying to get my thoughts in some sort of order, and I still do not feel that I have succeeded, but you get the jist.

THINK BEFORE YOU POST. It costs nothing to see things from the other sides point of view. Who knows, if everyone starts doing it the would might become a better place.

A lot of members who's views I respect have stopped (or slowed) posting. It cant be because they have nothing to say can it? I will not be posting again until/unless the attitude improves and the 'forum' is more welcoming to others views.

Ah!...you!

this is you...http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116747

Interesting that you post on a thread about aggression in threads.

This is your contribution in the above thread....

James said:
At the risk of being banned, will you all (with the exceptions of LesW and Geesixty. Thanks both) please piss off.

BTW it took me a couple of seconds to 'get my thoughts in order' before posting this. Sorry if I haven't given it due consideration.

advertisement

Back