1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What To Do When Thatcher Dies ...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by jackbarron, Jan 12, 2012.

1. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Yeh, and Clinton did it without ****ing over 75% of the population.

2. Engels

Engels pfm Member

Errr... I don't think so. She didn't balance the books like she and her supporters like to claim. (And nor did Clinton)

For example

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/spending_chart_1980_1990UKb_11s1li011mcn_G0t

Even measured against a %GDP it wasn't that impressive - given the "boom" times that the Thatcherites love to cite.

http://econ.economicshelp.org/2009/03/historical-national-debt.html

Debt went up even further under Major (more than doubled) and then skyrockets with Nulab and the crash - would be even worse if the future PFI cost was factored in

3. deanf

deanf pfm Member

4. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

That's a completely meaningless statement. Anyway this view,

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/spending_chart_1980_2010UKp_11s1li011lcn_G0t

shows the recessions of the 70s/80s and then again in the mid 90s each followed by recovery. Until the start of Labour's second term.

Paul

5. Engels

Engels pfm Member

yeah nice change of scale that... so still 25% of GDP when she left power.

6. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

7. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Which is the lowest proportion in the last 100 years. What's your point here?

Paul

8. Engels

Engels pfm Member

"At the end of their terms in power Thatcher and Clinton had almost paid off their countries debts. "

Not true - still running a debt despite very prosperous 80s.

Nothing wrong with running a debt providing you are also creating and sharing wealth generated to recover it in the long term. Rather than dogmatic application of monetarism and free market economics decimating manufacturing industry and allowing the financial sector enhanced freedoms - which even now her colleagues Parkinson and Lawson see with hindsight probably lead to our current problems
    < http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123844838879571027.html >

9. tones

tones Tones deaf

I have lived away from the UK since 1970, so I can't really venture any opinion on Mrs. Thatcher. My tendencies are very different from hers, but I only saw her on TV in Melbourne. However, while looking for something else on YouTube, I came across this:

[YOUTUBE]gZt2HhFXB3M[/YOUTUBE]

Perhaps everyone knows about it, but it was news to me. I've only watched this one (there are three), but the thesis that selfishness is the real driving force of humanity and that it leads to a better world is an interesting one. Mrs. Thatcher is much mentioned in this programme, and it's clear that this thesis will be used to explain the Thatcher years. I look forward to watching the other two.

P.S. Another accidental discovery at 1:08. Was she trying to think of a way of privatising Mozart?

[YOUTUBE]vEn-xFrXYw4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

10. Isobarik

Isobarik pfm Member

I second that Pete!!