advertisement

What Speakers ?

Looking for Speakers for our sun room , half glass on 3 walls , 7m x 4m . The speakers have to sit close to the shorter wall and fire down the room . Ideally second hand , that would still sound good sitting maybe 5.5m away . At the moment I'm using Linn Isobariks which sound great while sitting halfdown the room , but loose a little magic when I sit at the far wall . The wife is rearranging the room so the halfway seating is not an option . Any ideas ?
Horns, maybe Kef or Tannoy coaxes as well.

How about the Obelisks, would give you much more flexibility for positioning, being multi-directional.
That would be a risky second hand buy unless you could home demo them. They are actually far more difficult to get working than people think; being fussy about both the room and amplification (though more so the latter).

I'm not really bothered about imaging . The overall sound is most important , where I can listen for an hour or two and then still want to play more music . The Arcs seem to tick all the boxes and I've read a few old posts where folk have moved on from Briks to Arcs and not looked back . Sounds like a plan .if anyone would like to move a pair on , please get in touch .
Be aware that there are Arcs and Arcs MKII. Shahinian have always had a plan of continuous development so even with the MKI version, which is specifically differentiated by being made out of MDF, there are huge differences between versions of different ages. The newer models had a lot of development in their driver array. If you find one with a white passive radiator then it will be a much older model. You should be able to get in touch with Shahinian in NY to check the age by the serial number. The MKII came in around 15 years ago when they moved the cabinet construction to marine ply, in line with their other models. This pumped up the price a lot; new they ended up retailing for What th4 obelisks would sell for, and the Obelisks were also increased in price.

It’s fair to say that relative to performance, Shahinian speakers were at one point under priced. That changed around 2005/06 when the prices went up massively. I paid £3500 for my MKI arcs in 2005 when people a few years before were literally paying half that.

…I think you'll find the arcs a bit too small for your room.

With plenty of power on-tap, the little ARCs play bloody loud without breaking-up. Certainly a lot louder than I can bear listening… 😂

I’ve heard them in some large rooms and there’s no shortfall at all.

But every room is different, so you might be right in some instances… YMMV.

£1,500 might be a bit light for a decent pair of ARC 2s.

…unless you can pick up some low-cost clones.

Just a thought. 🤔
I would agree - for the Arc2 £1500 would be a complete steal but therefore probably a little unrealistic. You would certainly get a pair of the originals for around that. I sold mine to someone on here for £1500 but that was ten years ago.

Yeah I was thinking of the ARC 1's and some of the big old Kef's would be in my budget . Living up in Scotland obviously limits things a bit regarding how far to travel . I'll just wait and see what turns up

advertisement

Back