advertisement

"What Passing Bells - The War Poems of Wilfred Owen" by Penny Rimbaud

eternumviti

Insufficient privileges to reply.
Released on the 99th anniversary of his death a few days before the Armistice, a CD of his war poems read by poet/artist/philosopher Penny Rimbaud, to music by jazz musicians Kate Shortt on cello and Liam Noble on piano. The CD is produced by Derek Birkett, who is best known as the long-term producer of the Icelandic singer Bjork, and released on his label One Little Indian.

The CD comes enclosed in a book illustrated by B&W photographs of locations in France associated with Wilfred Owen, all taken by myself last year whilst I was working on the latter stages of my Somme project.

DSC_4472_1024.jpg

DSC_4473_1024.jpg

DSC_4475_1024.jpg

DSC_4476_1024.jpg

DSC_4478_1024.jpg

DSC_4479_1024.jpg

DSC_4480_1024.jpg

DSC_4492_1024.jpg

DSC_4507_1024.jpg

Needless to say, I am thrilled to have been asked by Penny and Gee Vaucher (who did the design work) to be involved in this project, and thoroughly enjoyed the preliminary research and photographing the locations last year.

I have sat through four live performances of this over the last year or two, and it is a pretty uncompromising and original take on Owen's work. The two musicians weave their magic around Rimbaud's voice to terrific, often very jagged, effect, and after 90 minutes you feel pretty emotionally shattered. Easy listening this is not!

Last edited:
Any chance you could fix the image links, they are all broken which makes the thread rather pointless!

Any chance you could fix the image links, they are all broken which makes the thread rather pointless!

Is this the dropbox problem again, Tony? It seems that some people can see them, some can't. How to fix?

From what I can tell the links don’t end in a filename, i.e. ‘.jpg’ at the very end. As such they won’t display. Certainly not working here on iOS.

Released on the 99th anniversary of his death a few days before the Armistice, a CD of his war poems read by poet/artist/philosopher Penny Rimbaud, to music by jazz musicians Kate Shortt on cello and Liam Noble on piano. The CD is produced by Derek Birkett, who is best known as the long-term producer of the Icelandic singer Bjork, and released on his label One Little Indian.

The CD comes enclosed in a book illustrated by B&W photographs of locations in France associated with Wilfred Owen, all taken by myself last year whilst I was working on the latter stages of my Somme project.

DSC_4472_1024.jpg

DSC_4473_1024.jpg

DSC_4475_1024.jpg

DSC_4476_1024.jpg

DSC_4478_1024.jpg

DSC_4479_1024.jpg

DSC_4480_1024.jpg

DSC_4492_1024.jpg

DSC_4507_1024.jpg

Are the images of the canal the same canal where he was killed?

Are the images of the canal the same canal where he was killed?

All except those showing the famous bridge at Riqueval, which is on the St.Quentin canal. Owen's unit, 2nd Manchesters, crossed the St.Quentin canal a couple of miles from Riqueval during the battle for the Hindenberg Line in October, immediately prior to the action behind Joncourt (the exact location of which is visible in the second photo posted above) in which he won his MC. Owen was killed during the fight to cross the Sambre-Oise Canal in November, the location shown in the other canal scenes.

Only just seen this - massive congrats eternumviti!! Thoroughly well deserved too.

Happy New Year :)

Lefty

Thank you Amar, and Paul.

Indeed P, it is not. I have sat through the live performance four or five times now at various venues, and it is emotionally shattering for the audience, and physically so too for Penny Rimbaud, Liam Noble and Kate Shortt. Owen didn't write the poems to give the reader a warm fuzzy feeling, and Rimbaud builds very powerfully on this. It is Owen voiced in a way that you have never heard him before.

I actually haven't listened to the CD yet. You need to be alone, and in a receptive state of mind, probably with a glass of strong liquor to hand!

advertisement

Back