advertisement

What is your current system? part II

I have a few pics. Not the best and my decor might not be fit for a glossy magazine but here goes...

Here's an earlier pic of my Lenco back when I was using an SME 3009 Improved:

Lenco-SME.jpg

It has interchangeable armboards. 1 for Rega, 1 for Grace, 1 for SME and one blank. Cutting off the corner of the topplate may not be super elegant but hey it works.

Here with the TecnoArm (not the best pic but...):

Lenco.jpg

The cart is a standard 103 in a wooden (ebony) housing. A guy named Uwe makes these. The 103SA (which is an anniversary edition of 103R in a composite glass-fibre body) is better though. The mat is 3 layers of "anti-slip" which is my prefered for Lenco (tried foam & cork & rubber also). Blue is what they had at the store. :)

Here's the (now relegated) 401:

401-1.jpg

It sure is prettier but sound quality has highest priority. :) The mat is plain cork but I also got myself a Janus mat for the Garrard.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/januse.html

DL-103SA which is my current cartridge:

103sa.jpg

I got it for 355€ which is OK. Platter damping rings on the Garrard platter as you can see. And a Kokomo bearing kit from Analog Tube Audio too. The Lenco has been pampered with a bearing kit from Joel Boutreux and its platter is damped with modelling clay (of all things).

The CineMag SUT:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x238/krenzler/CineMag1a.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x238/krenzler/CineMag2a.jpg

Simple and effective. 2 settings - 37,5 ohm/31 dB & 150 ohm/25 dB. It was built by Audio Asylum inmate "anumber1". Well shielded and zero hum.

The amp (sorry about the mess):

SIA2-150-2.jpg

Gutsy looking and no frills. I like it. :) Much better than the newer re-designed fashion look. The sub is no longer needed and therefore gone. Was useful when I had my Heybrook Quartets though...

One of the speakers:

SCM11-1.jpg

They fire straight ahead (I prefer it that way). No toe-in. I normally just use them with the grills in place. About 50 cm from the rear wall.

That's it I guess.

I realised mine posted much earlier needed updating,

LP12/NIMA/DV20XL/HEED Orbit/Heed Questar (currently with Plattamat)
Naim CDX
Stax SR34 Earspeakers
Electrocompaniet ECI-3 (Integrated)
Living Voice Auditorium with Granite Plinths

Interconnects mostly Chord Chrysalis
Speaker Cables Mogami 2972 (Bi Wired)

No plans to change at present.

As follows -

LP12 / Akito / Denon DL160 / Puresound P10 (need to change cart for an MM)
Sonneteer Byron CD Player
Electrocompaniet ECI-3 as well!!!
Yamaha NS1000m

Kimber 8TC speaker cables and Kimber PBJ interconnects

Was running Yamaha's with a Quad 606 mk 2 which had the muscle the Electro lacks. Although, the Electro is less agressive and more subtle than the Quad, so is easier to listen to over longer periods and is probably what I shall stay with.

Rega P3-24 with Nagaoka MP-200 and TTPSU
Graham Slee GA2
Squeezebox Duet
Beresford DAC
Naim Nait 5i
Naim Intros

A few changes to my system (on the turntable side)

Voyd Valdi with external psu, Helius Aereus II (Kondo Silver wired), ZYX R-100 H
Tribute Audio MC step-up
Puresound P10
Esoteric X-03se
Karan Acoustics KA I 180
Living Voice OBX-R2
Kondo KSL-Vz RCAs
Kondo KSL-SPc speaker and crossover cables

Not having the funds that seem to flood this forum, probably because I have a high maintenance wife, is there any other kind?, but my 30 year old system was replaced two weeks ago as below.

When I play music I want to be involved, be made to to sit down and listen. This I have acheived. As an ex player and singer I look for voice forward presentation - Mark Knopflers Sailing to Philadelphia is playing right now. I keep having to stop to hear phrases before adding a few more words here.

Old System
A&R A60
Rega Planar 3 - I've read those who knock this but I bought in 1981 upgrading from a Trio 1033 and it was brilliant. Probably not now but I have a sentimental attachent.

Marantz 63 SE CD
Arcam Delta 2 Speakers
Target sand filled Stands
Audioquest Type 4 cable

When on the demo trail I still found it hard to beat the combination of the A60 and the Delta 2 speakers under something like £1500-£2000. The Marantz was beaten by modern electronics above about £400

I spent about 5 weeks in the major local towns trying many different dealers. I listened to their suggestions. I avoided reviews just simply listening then asked for components to be swapped.

New System
Naim 5i (2) Amp
Naim CD5i (2)
PMC GB1i
Naim Cables
Rega 3 will still be called upon when in a vinyl frame of mind

In a Knopfler frame of mind I have changed to Kill to get Crimson

Hey thats a well tidy system Zounds, PMCs are beauts! I dont have the budget for that top stuff either.

I hope you keep the A60 though (I know its tough with a clutter removed installed in your home ;))

Enjoy

FWIW, an update...

Primary
Source
LP12/Herc/Cetech/Achromat / Black Ittok LVIIMk2 (Cardas'd) / AT33PTG
Marantz CD6000KI (lightly modded)
Intel Atom / Linux Jukebox / M-AUDIO Audiophile USB soundcard
Beresford DAC
TEAC V6030S​
Amplification
NVA Phono 1
Cyrus aCA7.5
2 x Crimson 630D​
Speakers
Tannoy Profile 635, AKA Definition D50

Secondary
Source
Technics SL-1210Mk3D/Achromat / RB300 / DL-160
Cyrus dAD3Q​
Amplification
Rega Fono (DIY PSU, BB OpAmps)
Crimson 610
Crimson 620C​
Speakers
Acoustic Energy AE509​

Seasons greetings to all.

The 'cooking system', top to bottom:

Homebrew mains switch (3 flying power strips + IEC lead for power amp, switched from 2 mains feeds. Sequential relay startup, switch A audio stuff / switch B TV stuff)
Pioneer CD recorder
Marantz CDP - used only as transport
Mytek Stereo 96 DAC
homebrew digi input extender [DAC has 2 coax inputs and I need 3]
Panasonic DVD player
UK Power 1300 mosfet PA amp [refitted with quiet fan]
Peavey Kosmos bass processor
Yamaha cassette deck
Freeview devil-box thing
Sony DAT
Beyer DT48 headphones
Morduant Short 817 speakers and various DIY speakers and always other projects ongoing.

Knobtastic here: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1124/3167054342_b85245114a.jpg

'Relaxing system' downstairs:

Sony 355 CD jukebox
VHS recorder
Audiolab 8000LX
Panasonic analogue tuner
DVD player
TEAC cassette deck
JBL Control 1 speakers

cheers,

Graham

First system

• B&W 601s3's
  • Marantz PM17 MKII M
  • Marantz CD17 MKIII
  • Squeezebox
  • Various cables from TaraLabs

This was my first real stereo system. Sounded good but then I caught the hifi-syndrome and wanted to explore different gear.

Later went on to:

• Aurum Cantus ribbon speakers (amazing VFM)

Kept everything else but switched to SignalCable silver cables

After a couple of months:

Ditched the Marantz set, bought a Lyngdorf SDAI 2175 which was good at first but began to sound quite boring after a year.

....So the Lyngdorf was sold and I got the little Naim 5i-2. My girlfriend (now fiancée) and I loved it with the rest of the combination...

--------------------

.....After graduating we had to move to a another town in a smaller apartment. I had to ditch the whole system and was without music for a couple of months. What a pain that was....at least I got myself a 42" Panasonic PX80 and a PS3...still missed the music though...

Suddenly AVI had introduced an attractive "all-in-one" active speaker package and I didn't hesitate to buy a pair to go with my Squeezebox (which I had kept under the bed). I was satisfied but my fiancée and I agreed that we both missed the Naim sparkle.

So right now I'm trying to sell the ADM9.1's and plan on going back to Naim again. This time though, the budget allows for even a bigger Naim setup. I have the 202/200 in my thoughts with a pair of n-sats or Epos M5. Nait XS could also do.

--------------

So, here's the plan:

• 202/200 w NAPSC, later on with Dual TeddyCap, maybe even settle with the NAIT XS
  • Squeezebox
  • Later on a DAC (e.g. DacMagic, Lavry or something else)
  • Epos, n-Sat, Spendor, PMC, Usher or Harbeth speakers

TDL Studio 0.75M Loudspeakers.
Michell Syncro/Mycro platter/Rega RB250/Denon DL110
Rotel RC-03 Preamp
Rotel RCD-1070 cd player
NAD C272 poweramp

2X 1M Nordost Red Dawn RCA Interconnects.

Not to sure what make the speaker cables are? But they are made in china.

000_0170_00-1.jpg

000_0171.jpg

000_0169.jpg

000_0173.jpg

000_0167.jpg

Not posted my modest system yet - so here goes

Rega P3/24 with Groovetracer Ruby/Sapphire hub and counterweight (not changed platter yet - but soon baby!)
Denon DL110 - what else?
Rega Phono MC
Rega Mira 2000
Rega Planet mk1
Darkvoice 336i - Grado SR80's
Beresford DAC taking signal from PC with about 1Tb of music, Dab add on & CDP (Planet sounds better through analog leads)
JM Labs/Focal Chorus 714S
I/Cs home made with good mike cable & neutriks - just long enough to fit
Speaker cables - Fisual Super Pearl 2.5

pix to follow

I have put this together so far, but I'm considering upgrading the pre-amp to something better.
Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated...

2 Technics SL-1000 (Sp-10 MKII w/factory obsidian plinth) extra used as spare, but also in near mint condition.
Goldring G-99 ...not used, but waiting to build plinth (various other Lenco turntables, L-75 and others for future projects and parts)
Empire 208 turntable for future project

Using Various arms: Hadcock 242 Super Silver, Technics EPA-500 w/various arms, Fidelity Research FR-64s (x2)
Cartridges: Music Maker III, various Fidelity Research, Accuphase, etc.

CD/SACD Player: Sony SCD-1

Tuner: Sansui AU-9900

Pre-amp: Audible Illusions Modulus 3a (just traded in for a new one, and now they have a new "b" model....go figure!)

Amplifier: Edge NL12.1

Main Speakers: Green Mountain Audio "Continuum 3"

Sub Woofers: Pair of JL Audio F-113's

Cables: Various

Happy listening!

Rick

A mostly Naim system: CD5i/NAC202/NAPSC/NAP150X/NAT02/n-Sats+NAC A5/Pro-ject Debut/Pro-ject "The Phono Box/Pro-ject "Headbox"/Sennheiser HD595/Russ Andrew Mains Block+Classic Power Cords/Sound Organisation Rack

I think a CD5x and a Flatcap 2x are next on the list.

Dave

can someone please explain how to post pictures...

First, register with photobucket or flickr or other such site and upload your pictures there. They tell you how. Or use your own webspace if you have it.

Second, in the "Advanced" message composition box, click on the "insert link" icon; enter the url of your picture in the box. Click on OK, click on "preview post". That's it!

If you type a word or phrase and highlight it, then click on "insert link", that phrase will become the hyperlink instead of the full url.

Love all the pics guys...this is a great thread...

Thought I'd share as well. First my main rig which is all Rega with a van den Hul wiring loom and Dynavector cartridge.

011-3.jpg

020-1.jpg

013-4.jpg

And then the home office system...I've got some Wharfedale Diamon 9.1's coming to switch back and forth with the Epos and Infinity's.

023.jpg

002-10.jpg

022-2.jpg

The home cinema is in the same room with the main system but out of view I'll take some shots of that and my wifes little system later and share them.

a) System

Pioneer Bluray player
Logitech Transporter
Sky +

all digitally connected to

Bryston SP 1.7 & Video switch
Bryston 9BSST
(on Quadraspire AV Rack)

4 * PMC DB1+ & 1 DB1+ Centre and PMC Sub

b) system

LP12 Ittok Arkiv
(on Sound Org Table)
Meridian 500 CD Transport (balanced digital)
Squeezebox SB+ (direct to pre-amp)
Benchmark DAC1
ATC SCM50ASL
ATC SCA2

c) kitchen system

Pure Legato
Squeezebox 3

d) Bedroom

Arcam AVR100
Arcam DV88
EPOS ES11
Yamaha cassette deck