advertisement

What is your current system? part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
My system now
Linn LP12vn/Ittok/T-cable/troika/NAC82/HiCap/250/Keilidhs
The 32.5 went and the sound just improved so much and then I fitted a T-cable, the Ittok arm has realised its true potential , do Linn know how good that arm was/is , the crap cable that was supplied did not do it justice.
Trouble is an Ekos and ArkivB are on their way so it should sound even better by the end of the week.
My cheap Yamaha CD player now sounds good..ish, so I'm convinced that a CD player of quality is now an option
Rocking like a goodun :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously though, do you think my CD5X/Nait5i would work with Allaes, or would that be a mullet?

Hi Bruce,

I think it'll work quite well, as long as your room ain't huge and don't listen to ear-splitting levels.
Yesterday afternoon I visited a Naim dealer who demoed several Naim gear, during a Naim & Michell show.

A bit unusual perhaps, but when I entered the listening room he had some Allae's hooked up to a Nait-5i, and a DVD-5.

The music (Diana Krall - live) might've been a bit on the safe side, but all in all it sounded very good to me.
Lively, open and detailed. Sonically I couldn't find anything that disturbed me.

Later that afternoon I heard the Allae's through this wonderful 202/HiCap/200 system. :cool:
audio_artistiek_set1_topview.JPG

This system sounded better. A bit more control/ease, more transparent and details were a bit easier to follow.
(then again, it bloody well should be better, considering the huge price difference!)

Also the 202/HC/200 system was placed in/on a Fraim.
The 5-series system was plaed on a solid AV-rack. (see picture)
audio_artistiek_av_room.JPG

bhazen said:
Kuma -
Art Audio monoblocks??? C'mon, you're so close to being all-Naim;)

Bruce,

That would be too predictable, wouldn't it? ;)

Seriously though, do you think my CD5X/Nait5i would work with Allaes, or would that be a mullet?

I haven't heard the Allaes with a CD5x/5i.
Only other time I have heard the pair was with a CDX2/XPS2/282/HC/250.2.

shorthly thereafter I ordered a funky pair of shoe-box-sized amps that had just hit US shores. They used funny European connectors with multiple hot pins and looked like they had been designed by a Soviet defense contractor in the early sixties. After five minutes, I knew the 42/110 combo woudn't be going back to the distributor ;-)

What a charming story.
Years after, the same black boxes have captured this jaded soul as well. ;)

Alco, does that room actually have a ceiling?
You mean the HiFi-store, Alex ? Yes, it does :D

It's a small old store (previous house) centered in an old (30's) area of that town.
(funny detail is that the owner of the shop used to live next door, years ago)
Most of these houses have small rooms (some of 'em quite narrow but long thoug)
and high ceilings. (for acoustics a high ceiling is often concidered a nice bonus)

regards,
Alco

1500 LPs
1000CDs
LP12
Ittok LVII
LK280/SPARK
Philips CD373
Isobarik DMS

Sounds good to me!

ChrisJ

I like the fact that you post your LP/CD collection first...!

Tobi.

PS: I still remember with a grin, a few years back a few brits came up with a sort of ratio between possesed LPs/Cds and the amount of money spent for Audio Gear. They then divided people up into "Hifi-Nerds" and "Music-Lovers" depending on the resulting figure. It was a very amusing thread.

topa said:
I like the fact that you post your LP/CD collection first...!
PS: I still remember with a grin, a few years back a few brits came up with a sort of ratio between possesed LPs/Cds and the amount of money spent for Audio Gear. They then divided people up into "Hifi-Nerds" and "Music-Lovers" depending on the resulting figure. It was a very amusing thread.

And then there are Music Nerds who collect $$ records but never play them.

latest upgrade
has occured and I'll continue the theme of LPs
1000 ish LP
Linn LP12VN/Ekos/Arkiv/T-cable/Naim NAC82/HiCap/250/Keilidhs
a Yamaha CD2000 player and about 200 CDs
bloody hell old vinyl sounds good and now CD is OK with the 82 , time for a Naim CDi :D

Latest configuration:

Yamaha CDX-493 into Musical Fidelity X-DACv3/X-PSUv3/X-10v3
Linn Kolektor
Linn Chakra C2100
Naim Intro2
Atlas interconnects and Maplin (!) speaker cable

A weird but wonderful combination IMHO! Very precise, fast and airy sound.

A.

a) System

Sony DVD/HDD recorder/player
Squeezebox Mark 3
Sky +

all digitally connected to

Bryston SP 1.7 & Video switch
Bryston 9BSST
(on Quadraspire AV Rack)

4 * PMC DB1+ & 1 DB1+ Centre and PMC Sub

b) system

LP12 Ittok Arkiv
(on Sound Org Table)
Meridian 500 CD Transport (balanced digital)
Squeezebox 3 (coax digital)
Mac Mini (Toslink)
Benchmark DAC1
ATC SCM50ASL
ATC SCA2

c) kitchen system

Pure Legato
Squeezebox 3

d) Bedroom

Arcam AVR100
Arcam DV88
EPOS ES11
Yamaha cassette deck

e) Other

IPOD 60GB
ReadyNas 2TB as Squeezebox server
Buffalo Terastation 1TB * 2 (backups)

Last Week,

LP12, Heed Orbit, RB300, Sumiko BPS
Naim CDX
Naim NAC72, Hicap, NAP140
Tannoy Revolution R3

Naim interconnects and NACA5.

Occaisionally use a Russ Andrews PBJ Naim E attenuated interconnect.

This week,

LP12 as above
CDX with Linn interconnect
Electrocompaniet ECI - 3 integrated
NACA5
Tannoy R3

The shoe boxes are still around but may be up for sale very soon now!

Other bits,

Very old SNAPS s/n 417 dual railed
Siemens Puls 24v industrial PS

Coming soon a Stageline N.

The Mogami 2972 cables have made a subtle and yet unmissable difference to my enjoyment of music. There is no trade-off whatsoever with these cables. I just get better high-frequency resolution which, in turn, improves things like timing, flow, tonal balance, pitch, harmonics and decay.

The improvements are obvious with more acoustic music and "real" instruments.

Rimshots, snares and cymbals are particularly pleasing as well as plucked guitar strings and female vocal inflection.

My system sounds even-handed, neutral and natural, and yet packs quite a punch when the music demands it.

The whole system is now:

CDX - Slop Monster DIN/RCA i/c - Densen B200 - Cyrstal Acoustics RCA i/c - Densen B300XS all on Quadraspire Reference with an acrylic shelf under the CDX on top - Rega Naos speakers on Mana Soundbases with Evil Spikes replacing the short stubby upward ones.

The system is still fed from ring mains in a very quiet and unpolluted area (several miles from the nearest industrial estate) via a single MK socket and a Music Works Megablock on its own QS Ref shelf.

When I first moved into this place the room acoustics seemed to get in the way of the system. Now they make it better than ever after a few tweaks (cable dressing etc. optimised speaker positioning, careful setup of the Mana under the speakers and large, heavy pictures on the walls.)

The Mogami cable is the icing on the cake.

An eye to the future with the right budget would include trying out a B400XS CD player and later the B250 preamp before anything else. I still love the Naos speakers after six years of owning them from new. I foresee a system chez Toy maybe completely devoid of any Naim...

Just completed my final rack upgrade, now fully wobbly and acrylic with cryogenically treated metalwork, and cryo'd banana plugs on the speaker cable. Simply wonderful. New photos soon.

Hi guys!

My second post!

Here is my system!!!!

Amplifiers:

1. TACT TDA2200
2. Accuphase...i import these from the used market in japan so they are always changing! Best i had was a C2800 preamp and A50's running mono...but my TACT does it for me.

CD Players/transports:

1. Sony CDP-R10 transport
2. Victor XL-Z900 (basically the same as a Harmonix Reimyo 777, not many people know that)
3. Esoteric DV-50s
4. CEC TL-1 belt driven transport

Turntables...i have none! Going to make my own soon. However i have had:

1. Gyrodec with Morch DP6 gold precision arm
2. Linn...who hasnt!
3. Audiomeca Romance (better than the Linn in my opinion and easier to work)
4. Rega P3 (my first!)

Speakers...my favorite. I have had many speakers (Dynaudio Confidence, DALI euphonia, ATC...) but the ones currently littering my home:

1. Audio Physic Caldera
2. Shahinian Diapason

Cabling: Synergistic Research Signature

CD's....many...too many.
Vinyl...dwindling...mainly i collect bonkers stuff...like the Munich Beer Festival recordings (beer drinking songs) and other 10p bargains from ebay.

Regards

Richard H
Highend Trader

my system

naim 160
3x naim 250`s (going aktive shortly )
1x12s pre
1x12n pre
1x 32-5 avondale updated
1x 32-5 untouched
2x linn sondek`s both with ittoks
linn troika
lin karma
supex sd 900 super
3x snaps power supply`s
200 lp`s
no cd`s
oops forgot to mention isobarik speakers
the 160 is now for sale

cheers
barrie

Pink Triangle Tarantella/OL modded Rb-300/Shure V15-3
Naim Nait 5/flatcap and currently testing a home built (by a friend) "Le Monstre" class A power amp i.s.o Nait's power amp.
Sony CDP-XP 720 cd player
Sony MDS-JB730 minidisc
Translator Impact 30, look here http://home.planet.nl/~translator.nl/start.htm
go to "luidsprekers" and then view its successor, Impact 35 (about the same)
Some Duals 505 lying about, one modded with a sand filled wooden plinth, a Thorens Jubilee and a split-slabbed Rega with a Decca arm.
Dnm Reson for speaker wire.
A Fender Jazz bass for making music.

Owned Linn and Naim equipment for 20+ years.

Current system.
Unidisk 1.1
Klimax Kontrol
2*C4200 (8 channels)
active boards
Akurate 212
Artikulat 345 sub
Silver interconnect cables
K400 speaker cables

In the office:
Kudos
Nait II (owned a few of these but I never sell this one)

Future plans:
Replace the 212 as they are just an interim solution until I found something with the PUSH, POWER and LIVE feeling that my 4*Klout/Keltik combo had.

Rega Planet/Cursa/Maia and Ruark Talisman II. DNM cable. DIY mains distribution. Henley Designs oak and glass rack.

Will be getting some granite plinths for the the Talismans pretty soon. No future upgrades planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back