advertisement

What is your current system? part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lefty, nice looking system. Does the guitar not cause some problems with the resonance of the strings at the corresponding frequencies?

Cheers fellas :D

Alex - I don't normally keep the guitar in such close proximity to the hi-fi, but not for the reason you state. Actually it gets played far too often after a few beverages and I'm frightened of damaging the hi-fi in a drunken moment! :eek:

Lefty

Been there myself many a time ;) When we have friemds round I too often get the guitar and amp out and murder, quite drunkenly, what used to be good tunes.

The current (and likely resident for a long time) system

Naim CD5X
Naim Nait 5i
Naim Intro 1 (in black, of course)

Long live the Kings of Salisbury!

Naim CDS3-->552--->Art Audio Jota Monoblocks--> Naim Allae
allae_jota3.jpg

allae_jota6.jpg

Blimey, your system looks superb indeed Kuma.

If it sounds as good as it looks, you must be one very happy bloke :)

Just heard some Allae's for the first time, this afternoon at a Naim show.
They were hooked up on a CDX2,202/HiCap/200 system on a Fraim.

Sure sounded mighty fine to me.

Dave,

I am not sure if the Allaes are staying yet. But this pairing so far is most compelling. I get a kick out of Single Ended Triode amplifiers driving the Naim speakers so well. This was a lucky accident that worked.
The Briks/300/Jota (pushing my luck :)) is next.

Alco & Lefty,

I have been finding out that the Allaes are highly capable speakers.
They are somehow overlooked or not very liked in the States. But I am realising now that they are one of the few relatively easy to drive fast dynamic speakers.
The only thing is that they are fussy in terms of upstream component and placement.

kuma said:
Dave,

I am not sure if the Allaes are staying yet. But this pairing so far is most compelling. I get a kick out of Single Ended Triode amplifiers driving the Naim speakers so well. This was a lucky accident that worked.
The Briks/300/Jota (pushing my luck :)) is next.

Alco & Lefty,

I have been finding out that the Allaes are highly capable speakers.
They are somehow overlooked or not very liked in the States. But I am realising now that they are one of the few relatively easy to drive fast dynamic speakers.
The only thing is that they are fussy in terms of upstream component and placement.

Do you miss that much using Allaes compared to SL2s?

...and no weird sounds with the wider bandwidth speaker (compared to Lowthers, etc) when using SETs?

dave,

Actually, not much in this room.
An SL2 are better speakers but the Allaes work better here than an SL2 did. For one thing an SL2 needed a sub(s) to fill the room whereas I don't with the Allaes. ( of course there's a trade off related to this, however )

I like selected Lowther based speakers. But most of the *SET-friendly* speakers have a serious baggage I don't want to deal with.

I do not know what you mean by *weird* sound, but when you think of it, all naim preamps are bandwidth limited. :p

A tonal balance does not change at all between the 300 and the Jotas in that they can sound quite similar. That's one of the reasons I use a 300 as a Jota backup.

"I do not know what you mean by *weird* sound, but when you think of it, all naim preamps are bandwidth limited."

"Weird" as in really emphasizing the top and bottom-end roll-off of most the current single-driver speakers like Lowthers and SETs. I know Naim bandwidth limit but they still do some bass and treble compared to some of the flea-powered rigs ;-)

regards,

dave

P.S. Do the Allaes and SL2s hold up OK pitch-wise against the briks? Reason I ask, my Intros don't. I thought about eventually scaling down in speakers with a lesser speaker if my briks die and put the dollars back in the front-end. I definitely can't live without their pitch-accuracy and more than likely, their low-end performance. (dreading this day...)

dave,

I see what you are saying regarding Lowther based speakers.
Their frequency extremes indeed are limited. Even the ones I didn't mind, they needed subs ( which another thing I don't want to deal with ). I don't get too anal about top end extension. Nice to have item, of course, but if the speakers are doing the right thing pitch and timing wise, I really careless about that sort of things. ( I was once, but I figured it out. It was over rated. :p )

Jotas with KR 52BX output valves can handle the bass dynamics better than most SET amplifiers can. And they put more substance in the high frequencies I'd say the extension is about the same as a 300. They just put an emphasis in different places, sort of. ( Great! it's an EQ thrown in for free! )

P.S. Do the Allaes and SL2s hold up OK pitch-wise against the briks?
I knew you were going to ask me that. :p

I have to say no.

The voicing on the both the Allaes and SL2 are vastly different from the Briks in that not sure if it's even fair to compare.

But the reason I wanted to put the Briks back in here is because I haven't had that *magic* ( you know what it is ) since they left in spite there are many other things that both Allaes and SL2 do much better than the Briks.

To be honest, I don't think I have heard anything comparable to the Briks out of modern speakers and I am not sure if they exist.
The voicing and measurements wise, I doubt the Briks now can pass the *audiophile seal of approval* now. ;)

They just put an emphasis in different places, sort of. ( Great! it's an EQ thrown in for free! )

Understood...reminds me of an old favorite, Luxman MB-3045 monoblocks. My biggest love-affair with tubes. I was sixteen and they were 900 bucks a pair... I could only lust from afar;-)

I have to say no. The voicing on the both the Allaes and SL2 are vastly different from the Briks in that not sure if it's even fair to compare.

But the reason I wanted to put the Briks back in here is because I haven't had that *magic* ( you know what it is ) since they left in spite there are many other things that both Allaes and SL2 do much better than the Briks.

Funny isn't it... a thirty-year-old design based (I figure) on mechanics more than acoustics and they (DMS) still do things modern designs can't even hint at. Thanks for the heads-up. I've got a backup pair in the vault for parts;-)

You know, Luxman is making a comeback.
Funny, tho, growing up, their stuff never did a thing for me and even their newer kit ( I have heard them with new Kefs *gag* ) sounded dire.

It was a blessing in disguise you did not own them. :p

Funny isn't it... a thirty-year-old design based (I figure) on mechanics more than acoustics and they (DMS) still do things modern designs can't even hint at.
Sure is. It was a light-on moment for this round earther as i was told from many that they are *horrible*.
I've got a backup pair in the vault for parts;-)

Ah.. cool. You've got an organ doner lined up already. :)

It was a blessing in disguise you did not own them.

LOL...IIRC, shorthly thereafter I ordered a funky pair of shoe-box-sized amps that had just hit US shores. They used funny European connectors with multiple hot pins and looked like they had been designed by a Soviet defense contractor in the early sixties. After five minutes, I knew the 42/110 combo woudn't be going back to the distributor ;-)

Ah.. cool. You've got an organ doner lined up already.

Yep...a banged-up pair recovered from a burglary (i got them for 200 bucks!) The cabinets are scratched-up pretty bad and I *think* one of the passive crossovers might have a problem (one speaker sounds a tad different than the other), otherwise, they sound great and are on standby for parts. Before I bought my newer pair of DMS, I replaced the Hiquiphons in the donor pair with Naim-modded Scanspeaks (SBL tweeters). I need to switch these out with the Hiquiphons in the newer DMS.

regards,

dave

Kuma -

Art Audio monoblocks??? C'mon, you're so close to being all-Naim;)

Seriously though, do you think my CD5X/Nait5i would work with Allaes, or would that be a mullet?

cheers
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back