advertisement

What is a good reference speaker for use with Naim electronics?

I vote for Harbeth M40.1 as an uncontroversial choice that's not likely to put off many listeners.

Generally naim speakers will sound best with naim electronics. But beware as they may make other systems sound slow & unexciting. Many years back I have had the opportunity to listen to a truly captivating sound emanating from an almost top flight system comprising of lyra clavis/naim aro/prefix/hicap/lp12/armagedon/52/supercap/135 monoblocks x6/hicap-outboard crossover/dbls. To me, it sounds like that there was a live band playing in the room. The energy, dynamic swings, massive headroom, boogie factor, control, PRAT was overwhelming! My friend who was there said that it made any record you pick (especially the less than average recorded ones) sound very good!! Can you imagine if the system was upgraded with the supercap/superline & supercap-outboard crossover in line,how good would that sound!!!:D

I've heard the very same system with a friend's six pack except supercaps on the prefix and SNAXO. The best hifi I've ever heard regardless of price.

Vinyl was great with my friend's rig but I much preferred his CDS. Far more realistic.

I went in to Infidelity in Kingston recently and they had an amazing reference system, using a fully specked LP12 as source into a NAC 552/NAP 300. The speakers were Focal JM Lab Utopia 3, and it seemed like a match made in heaven. They were playing Chick Corea's 'Return to Forever' and you could touch the Rhodes piano chords hovering in the air like ghosts. Stunning. The whole system was worth a completely ridiculous 45K. A lot of this was taken up by the LP12 and the NAC, but the speakers go for about 7-8K I think, so would fit in to your reference system budget.

Too many pages to wade through, but has anybody suggested ProAc?

All the ProAcs up to the Response series (and especially these) were totally symbiotic with Naim amplification.

I'm on my third incarnation of this series, though they sound just as good with top Naim pre. and valved power as I currently have. Excellent all-rounders.

most people who would take such a dem won;t be naim fanbois already so why not just stick to their speakers - never liked em myself but there nust be one in the range that folks would agree is decent

failing that a pair of EPOS, neat or harberth's perhaps

Linn / Naim, Isobarik's passive with CB 250 works for me everytime I've lived with this system since 1984. Must add I use a Whest Audio 30R phonostage together with a Linn LP 12, Naim Aro, Armageddon and Micro Benz Wood SL sent up buy the maestro Derek Jenkins.
Regards,
Martin

advertisement

Back