advertisement

What is a good reference speaker for use with Naim electronics?

Please explain how I'm supposed to know what any particular Naim kit is supposed to sound like under odd circumstances neverminding I've never heard Naim kit before?

Sorry, but I don't fancy dragging my system into shops.

Personally, I think Ron will do just fine with demming his Lyngdorf against his second best. This proves he's competent and can demonstrate a better sound which many of his competitors can't seem to do. Folks can then bring in their various brands of kit and dem away to their heart's content as well as borrow Lyngdorf for home trials.

As you can see, I really have a problem with swindlers at rigged carney stands that claim to take on "the best" with their new wonder product. Comes from living in the land of "bigger is better" I suppose.

Just my opinion...

dave

There's no way I'd buy into a dem with a dealer that doesn't represent both products UNLESS I could supply and install the challenging component or system myself.

I agree with this but less vociferously.....

Rob, why not stick within the Lyngdorf brand and compare your EQ'd setup with a conventional system comprising of the Lyngdorf CD-1 run as a full CD player, SDAi2175 integrated conventional amp and speakers like Dali Helicons or similar?

That's a pretty good system and would demonstrate to your customers what you want to demonstrate!

It's looking like that's the way we'll go but with the all digital TDA amp with RoomPerfect.

Dali have said yes to loaning some Helicon 400's for our Bake off in a few weeks. I think these speakers played with Meridian + Lyngdorf electronics will provide a good A/B comparison and then we can look at how the sound varies from the room to room with and without RoomPerfect.

Because he's not a Naim dealer, no one will trust him. No one will know if the Naim system has been rigged in other words. It would be completely different if he were a Lyngdorf/Naim dealer.

I agree it would be meaningless unless of course the Naim system sounded better. Now that would be quite a recommendation.

Tim

Are there any speaker you'd recommend that are what I'd call full range?

ie down to 20Hz +/-3db. While these two way designs may sound great I do like a speaker that can really wibble.

Mamma Mia. Never heard of them but that doesnt mean a thing.

Do many people lust over the bigger B&W Matrix speakers or anything with twin 12" or similar in........ something that could make your Granny sh*t herself or is it just me that needs more bass?

I am surprised you dont want to use Shahinian's.
Given that when set up correctly with Naim equipment they outperform anything around it makes me wonder if you have something against them.

I would like to hear what Shahinians sound like on Naim. My friend has a Meridian G08/ARC LS26/VT100mk2/Arcs system. It sounds truly impressive (if a little uninvolving to me) on choral and orchestral music, but on any pop/rock it seemed about as appealing as a soggy sandwich. It always sounded a bit like it was trying to turn close miked studio recordings into Chesky style live ones.

He lives in another city, so no easy task to take my LP12/Nait XS to him to try. Not sure how an XS would go at driving the Arcs anyway. He also told me Dick Shahinian used Naim amps in the early days?

I don't think that Rob has had much exposure to Shahinians, but he will have after Oct 12th as I'm taking mine down to his place.

I've heard lots of different Shahinian systems from Compasses through to Diapasons, and although Naim can sound very good with them, I personally believe that there is more to come from the speaker by using an amplifier that has higher current driving capability.

Arcs are relatively easy to drive, they can really bogie and be a lot of fun with something like a NAP140, but to get them really under control you would have to go higher up the Naim ladder. I have driven Arcs with an Ion Obelisk 1, this although volume limited did produce a very acceptable sound, and with an Arcam AVR200, which was woeful and just not up to the job.

Have tried wading through this thread, and haven't seen ProAc mentioned. Why?

If you need a range of speakers that sound good with all Naim amps., and which were designed around valved amps., present a benign load and are of reasonable efficiency (88/89db), these are they.

One caveat; I and acouple of friends have only tried the older Response range (3, 3.5. 4) and Tablettes with 140, 250, 135s, Naits. It may be that design parameters may have significantly changed, but within the terms of reference declared (suit Naim, other amps, widely known and with a wide range), these should be considered.

Rob, i think most people are actually satisfied with some floorstanders giving a nominal 35-20khz. Few people have true full range systems.

I agree that most people are satisfied with what they have but for me using a full range speakers, subs or Boundary Woofers is one of the biggest upgrade you can make to any system. This is something even the casual listener can appreciate and the more I hear of different peoples hifi's the more certain I am that this is something that I dont want to compromise on.

The problem is that using full range speakers gives such hit and miss results in normal rooms because of standing waves which is where some form of room correction comes in whether it is built in to the sub or in the electronics.

advertisement

Back