advertisement

What is a good reference speaker for use with Naim electronics?

Wolud you go to a BMW dealer and ask him to show you how well a Mercedes drives?

Bonkers.

yes actually i would, and do. i have a friend who sells some of the worlds best cars we test all of them and its a great way of learning whats best. jumping out a 997rs3 into a F430 then into a lambo is an amazing way to loose your licence. :)

I've heard Naim systems on half a dozen occassions including the Bristol show a couple of year back. They have always sounded nice to me but never totally convincing.

I think the Lyngdorf electronics we sell does sound convincing and I'm trying to find a conventional speaker that will work well with Naim to demonstrate the benefits of all digital electronics with room correction. I've had several Naim customers who are chopping their kit over who have suggested that I get some more conventional kit in for dems, hence the question to experienced Naim users.

Is it stupid to have similar speakers on your digital electronics along with some Naim electronics..?
Rumours are at least two guy's are selling their 500 stuff, make sure to get it..

it doesn't make any difference, you dont need special speakers for digital amps. they work perfectly with any speaker.

The only way to demonstrate the stuff is to do it in a real situation in people's actual rooms. Doing room correction in a demo room is a complete waste of time, in my opinion.

Would a 80w nap 250.2 be able to drive a pair of pmc ob1i?

And second, how's their signature? are they over revealing, fatiguing or just very engaging.
I as well thinking about an upgrade to ether these or Harbeth sl5.

What speakers are you using? The last "conventional" full range speakers I had were Kef 107's - they were great but needed monster amps to get them working.

You're not nearby are you Newbury, Berks. I'd love to have a listen to a good Naim system (if that;s whay you use) and what I've heard in shops has never done it for me.

I've had the 107s, nice but a bit hard on top and a tad slow at the bottom, pretty local, send a pm, all quite interesting.........

You're right about that and also Rob does not have the power to make Naim sound bad, we know that, because it just does't...

yes actually i would, and do. i have a friend who sells some of the worlds best cars we test all of them and its a great way of learning whats best. jumping out a 997rs3 into a F430 then into a lambo is an amazing way to loose your licence. :)

You don't make any sense here. when testing cars that way you have control of the situation. Rob is suggesting trying to control the listening experience. If he does so, I believe that potential customers with that amount of money to spend will not be convinced. The buyer needs to feel in control, not the other way round.

Because he's not a Naim dealer, no one will trust him. No one will know if the Naim system has been rigged in other words. It would be completely different if he were a Lyngdorf/Naim dealer.

It's got nothing to do with setup, r-tee. We're talking about trust and where Rob's interest lies. It's not with Naim.

There's no way I'd buy into a dem with a dealer that doesn't represent both products UNLESS I could supply and install the challenging component or system myself.

FWIW, I'd feel the same with a Naim dealer demming against ARC if he's not an ARC dealer.

personally i can hear if i like one system against another i dont need someone to tell me. when your sat there, alone in a dem room listening, its easy to workout which one gets you engaged with your discs/tunes and which one doesnt. i personally am a right pain i the ass when it comes to dems and make them add/swap/remove and repeat items in and out. all in all for around 3 hours.

I understand and agree regarding knowing "what I like" but how do I know what I heard truly represents the kit? I won't--I'm not comfortable with it and I imagine many people feel the same unless the presenter is an agent for both companies under test.

advertisement

Back