advertisement

What is a good reference speaker for use with Naim electronics?

Naim speakers aren't Hip, Now or With It....errr...man/dude/daddi-o/bossman/my man.

Dave you forgot Brothah, and over here Guv!

Choosing speakers is so subjective to expect a standard reference set up is riduculous. How long is a piece of string?

Sensitivity, proper 12'' drivers or little fast ones I mean it goes on and on....

Gaius,

I guess I'm different from most folks. I find speaker differences largely meaningless when I'm comparing decent ones. To me, it's sort of one has more or less bass or treble or they're a tad more dynamic (and no big deal for me).

Electrostatics kind of intrigue me. They seem to open a wider window on the sound that moving coil designs don't achieve. However, they have a whole host of other problems which I've not been able to get past in order to buy a pair.

regards,

dave

Linn Kans are fairly neutral.:)

maybe, but they will be very poor at showing room mode problems as they have a poor low frequency performance.

what Rob is after is a speaker that Naimites like which have a big issue with room modes and particularly need careful positioning.

Rob, don't you think that this is a loaded question?

Mike.

maybe, but they will be very poor at showing room mode problems as they have a poor low frequency performance.

what Rob is after is a speaker that Naimites like which have a big issue with room modes and particularly need careful positioning.

Rob, don't you think that this is a loaded question?

Mike.

Of course it is, he's looking for a crowd with a problem to fix...

As for tin Kans, they sound like a very clean transistor radio with no discerning bass whatsoever, all those NAPs totally wasted...

I dont think it's loaded. I want something approaching a full range conventional speaker that people who have Naim electronics are likely to have heard or be considering. Then I want to be able to show how they sound with Naim or other electronics as compared to Lyngdorf all digital electronics with room correction.

As I'm not a Naim user I just want to be sure I dont buy something that I think is good but is generally regarded as a poor match for Naim electronics as this will make any comparisons meaningless. I would look at Naim speakers but I know many people who sell their electronics dont like 'em.

Kudos C30 should do the trick, they are priced well for middle to serious naim rigs and are highly regarded by owners and naim themselves. There on most naim owners wish lists

Hasn't Chrisk got some Big Audio Vectors for sale? Maybe you could do him apart ex against some DP1s Rob? :D (im like Arthur Daley!) I heard some of the big Sonus Fabers (the wide ones!) with Naim amps, they sounded excellent.

Whatever happened to full range speakers? What's wrong with bass?

I would imagine PMC's are much better in this respect?

PMCs for modern speakers are quite dandy! And yes it is important to have the full range and that means real bass.

Can you imagine a rock band or an orchestra without those low notes?

It would be fair though Rob to say you have an agenda.

Aiiiii.

Or you could just avoid speakers with bass because they would needs big amps and bass repsonse is so hit and miss in most rooms. Then you'd really have something that sounds nothing like live music.

Aiiiii.

Or you could just avoid speakers with bass because they would needs big amps and bass repsonse is so hit and miss in most rooms. Then you'd really have something that sounds nothing like live music.

If you avoid real bass you get half the story and indeed nothing like live music or a real representation of it. If the speakers are well designed with sensetivity in the 90s you don't need a monster amp.

As you're appealing to the Naim crowd you'll know huge watts per chanel don't mean that much and believe me, my system rocks and can bring down the house, tight, tunefull and thunderous, nice at low levels too!

What speakers are you using? The last "conventional" full range speakers I had were Kef 107's - they were great but needed monster amps to get them working.

You're not nearby are you Newbury, Berks. I'd love to have a listen to a good Naim system (if that;s whay you use) and what I've heard in shops has never done it for me.

I use the Guru Qm60 with Naim equipment. Naim pre amp and Hicaps are modded though.
(Ever in thanks to all contributors on the DIY section)
QM 60 are easy to drive and truly full range and absolutely neutral.

Rob is trying to sell lyngdorf stuff and he is not likely to demonstrate your blessed naim kit to advantage is he? If you help him, you are helping him sell non Naim stuff. It is up to rob to sort his own demo. If you help Rob you are cutting your own throats. Let him do his own thing.

As you can guess I fundamentally disagree with Rob's ideas on this. It is up to the buyer to satisfy himself that he is getting the appropriate gear.

Wolud you go to a BMW dealer and ask him to show you how well a Mercedes drives?

Bonkers.

What's wrong with the idea of having a speaker that works well with Naim and then being able to show it sounds better with other electronics?

Rob, I wouldn't trust you as you are trying to sell Lyngdorf.

If you were to demo several types of stuff and build up a trust with your customers then i would still make my own decisions.

You have no incentive to demo the naim stuff in anything like a fair way. Quite the opposite. If you are expecting people to go with your ideas I think you are very mistaken.

Is it stupid to have similar speakers on your digital electronics along with some Naim electronics..?
Rumours are at least two guy's are selling their 500 stuff, make sure to get it..

advertisement

Back