1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a good reference speaker for use with Naim electronics?

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by Rob Sinden, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Rob Sinden

Rob Sinden Registered user

I’m trying to arrange a permanent reference system for comparison with the stereos we sell. Naim electronics seem to be a familiar, well regarded reference point so I would like to find a current, good quality conventional speaker that many people will be familiar with. Total retail price of system is to be around £15k.

What speakers would you suggest we use?

2. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

kudos C30, neat MF7 or MF9, wilson benesch ACT to naim 3

3. Rob Sinden

I've heard the WB Acts a few times but the other speakers seem pretty thin on the ground around here. Nothing from B&W or MA?

4. Cereal Killer

B&W dont really work with naim IMO. MA's OK for low cost speaker with good build quality. Art are also highly regarded but may go beyond the set budget.

neat and kudos were the same company once but now follow their own design ideas. theres a few S/H ex-dem units floating around. fancy swapping my Supernait, naim equivalent to the TDAI for a CD1 :)

5. Re-Joyce

Re-Joyce ... Jason H that is.

You might like a pair of Shahinians -- could lose a few sales though so better to have something from Dynaudio of B&W ;->

cheers
    Jason

6. Rob Sinden

Thanks for the help but I'm looking for some higher end Naim electronics to compare to the TDA.

I should be hearing some Shahinans soon but regardless of how good they I'm after something a bit more conventional for A/B shoot outs.

7. Cereal Killer

a well respected dealer of lyngdorf and naim puts the SN with hicap ahead of the TDA. the SN/HC2 combo's an excellent system with sensitive speakers.

where you starting from 282/250/CDX2 or 252/300/CDS3?

8. Rob Sinden

Several people have recently chopped much more expensive Naim systems for Lyngdorf alternatives - which is why I want to beable to offer A/B dems here between the two options. Commercially however the continual upgrade path with Naim electronics may have something to do with which products dealers recommend.

9. Cereal Killer

i understand rob, i had a hicap on my supernait and really liked what it did, then i when to listen to the TDAI.... :)

if your wanting to put the TDAI/SDA/CD1/PD-1/BW-1 up against naim i would go for a complete system including their own speakers. a setup of 252/300/CDS3/SL2 would be interesting to hear against lyngdorfs as this is naims higher end, almost affordable system. if your planning in demming against the millennium IV then you need a NAP500

some Neat MF9 have just come up in the classifieds

10. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

At the HiFiWigWam show earlier in the year, one of the nicest sounding systems (a lot of opinions including several people who had a pre-judged anti-Naim bias) was AdamK's 52/300/MF7

11. joel

joel mojo working

Harbeth M40?

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I found the JBL Conrol 1 to have the necessery bandwidth to allow Naim to shine.

13. smithy

smithy pfm Member

I had no idea Control 1 were so good ,my pair cost £29.99 at Richer Sound when they had a promo a couple of years ago.(how come they sound crap)

14. prowla

prowla pfm Member

Linn Kans are fairly neutral.:)

15. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

:D

Outside their own speakers I'd go with Neats as a good match for this.

Steve

16. JonR

JonR Brainwashed Bloke

Kudos C20's :)

17. Jack Barriere

Jack Barriere Me, you and them

The new Spendors.

18. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

19. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

I have tried Linn Keilidhs, which are fine, and am currently using Credo's.

One of the best pair of speakers I have heard for years on Naim equipment are Guru QM 10's.

I definitely want to try a pair of them at home.

Jack

20. dougmon

dougmon pfm Member

jackbarron:

Could you tell us what you liked about the Guru QM 10's? I'm in the market for speakers, and I'm pretty curious about these.