advertisement

What do you use? (Dust Covers)

BLACKMASS

pfm Member
I'll be changing decks from a LP12 to a Well Tempered Versalex in the next few weeks.
I'd like to ask those with a deck without a dust cover fitted, what they use to keep the deck protected?

I've looked into bespoke cases which are too expensive (at the moment).
The Mitchell Unicover looks OK but wondered if there's anything out there?

My Dad had a 301 and when not in use just draped a large duster over it! Sadly I did not inherit it. It went long before such things were considered "classic". I do hope its still out there somewhere

I had a Perspex one made by Sora Shop (in Germany - really easy to order from & good service) for my LP12.

I do have the TT’s dust cover, but previous owners don’t seem to have fitted it and I’ve always been under the impression that the hinges aren’t up to it. So I figured something that would protect the whole TT from young children + cleaners (latter broke the stylus on an Eroica).

Wasn’t hugely expensive - c50 quid - and does the job really well.

If you have a fairly local plastics firm, design your own, allowing for any future additions/changes, select the thickness and colour of the acrylic and get them to do it. As cheap if not cheaper than other (mail-order/internet etc.) suppliers

I had a Perspex one made by Sora Shop (in Germany - really easy to order from & good service) for my LP12.

I do have the TT’s dust cover, but previous owners don’t seem to have fitted it and I’ve always been under the impression that the hinges aren’t up to it. So I figured something that would protect the whole TT from young children + cleaners (latter broke the stylus on an Eroica).

Wasn’t hugely expensive - c50 quid - and does the job really well.

Yeah this ^. Sora shop for me too.

I've had a look at the Sora cases and I'm not a fan.

My serious answer is a 'nice' piece of light fabric. I dislike dust covers for lots of reasons and Mrs Rock and I prefer to buy the odd attractive (light) fabric offcut, hem it and drape it over.
100% effective, keeps the sun off the wood to boot, so no fading, light weight = no damage if dropped, looks lovely (current one is an Indian silk), and is cheap as chips. We get a new bit whenever we happen across something. Worse, the speakers (which sit in sunlight) are treated to a matching bit. :)

ONLY prob is that care is needed when removing the cloth not to snag the stylus...I just always put the stylus guard on first now anyway.

My serious answer is a 'nice' piece of light fabric. I dislike dust covers for lots of reasons and Mrs Rock and I prefer to buy the odd attractive (light) fabric offcut, hem it and drape it over.
100% effective, keeps the sun off the wood to boot, so no fading, light weight = no damage if dropped, looks lovely (current one is an Indian silk), and is cheap as chips. We get a new bit whenever we happen across something. Worse, the speakers (which sit in sunlight) are treated to a matching bit. :)

ONLY prob is that care is needed when removing the cloth not to snag the stylus...I just always put the stylus guard on first now anyway.

I'll probably go ^^^this^^^ route at the moment. Thank you.

I use the Mitchell as it's easy to store when using the deck,although I had to add some felt pads to raise it higher as the arm section was to low,I also had a Sora,couldn't fault the company,but hated all the nuts and bolts.

advertisement

Back