advertisement

What about Mahler?

Gosh ! Reading all these posts has inspired me to go through my other (than the first) symphonies, although I do know the 'Death in Venice' bit of the fifth. The second sounds fun.:)

As Danny Kaye and Louis Armstrong said:
Ravel and Gustav Mahler?
Yeah, but don't forget Fats Waller.

Louis Armstrong fair enough but Danny Kaye? - first film I was ever taken to was Danny Kaye in Hans Christian Andersen - I screamed until they took me out and I`ve never regretted it...

If you want to explore more, then you can't go wrong with box edition "Mahler - The People's Editions. The Symphonies" http://www.mahler150.com/en_GB/dream-mahler/the-peoples-mahler
The selection was compiled on the basis of listeners voting and include wide variety of interpretations including Claudio Abbado · Leonard Bernstein · Riccardo Chailly · Carlo Maria Giulini · Herbert von Karajan · Rafael Kubelik ·Zubin Mehta · Georg Solti. DG webshop show 40 Euro and Amazon 25 quids price for 13 discs box.
For even wider Mahler repertoire check 'The Mahler Complete Edition '
http://www.mahler150.com/en_GB/albums/about-gustav-mahler
Happy listening :)

Have a look on the Naim forum and search for someone called 'Tam'. He writes with great authority on recorded Mahler. There doesn't seem to be much he hasn't heard and has an opinion on - very illuminating.

Thanks, some great ideas as ever.

I have picked a couple on vinyl from Tony's offerings and will add the CD mentioned above.

Cheers, will report back once I've listened.

73c

Abbado DG BPO for 1,5,7,9
Abbado DG VPO for 2,3
MTT SFSO for 6 & 8 (though the whole cycle is great, and are fabulous recordings, esp on SACD/HD-download)
Rattle EMI CBSO for 8
Rattle EMI BPO for 10

A bit like Bruckner, but with some tunes.

Harsh, but I see your point - though with the right recordings (Jochum) Bruckner becomes wonderfull.
Strange how times change, at school Mahler, Sibelius and Nielsen were mentioned briefly as minor composers of no great interest and Bruckner, no mention at all.

Strange how times change, at school Mahler, Sibelius and Nielsen were mentioned briefly as minor composers of no great interest.....

Sibelius came to prominence in Britain in the fifties, largely as a result of Sir Thomas Beecham's efforts and coverage. My mother's favourite even before then was the second symphony, so Sibelius was obviously not unknown before that.

Sibelius came to prominence in Britain in the fifties, largely as a result of Sir Thomas Beecham's efforts and coverage. My mother's favourite even before then was the second symphony, so Sibelius was obviously not unknown before that.

I was at school in the sixties but as it was a "good" grammar school they were somewhat behind the times. Barbirolli also did much to put Sibelius into the public domain.

Harsh, but I see your point - though with the right recordings (Jochum) Bruckner becomes wonderfull.
Strange how times change, at school Mahler, Sibelius and Nielsen were mentioned briefly as minor composers of no great interest and Bruckner, no mention at all.

Agreed, I've sat through too many Bruckner performances that descended into a meandering mess. A conductor with an iron grip is mandatory.

advertisement

Back