advertisement

What’s the best complete set of Ravel’s piano music?

Todd A

pfm Member
At the beginning of the year I picked up Abbey Simon’s 1970s Vox recordings of Ravel’s solo piano music and was simply amazed. I’d tried Simon’s Chopin before, and while it’s good, it simply didn’t prepare me for his Ravel. I was used to a certain, almost straight-laced approach and sound to Ravel, even from the great Walter Gieseking. Simon is pretty much as un-straight-laced as can be. Everywhere and always he manipulates tempi and plays with such subtle dynamic shading that one cannot possibly hear everything in the first twenty hearings. His flexibility and re-creative freedom is simply a marvel. Every work is rendered fresh and new. His Gaspard de la nuit is dashed off with a virtuosic arrogance that hides the virtuosity. He plays brief passages of Scarbo in a blocky fashion, not because he’s challenged, but because he’s not challenged enough. He tears into the piano version of La Valse with control and panache and a color palette most pianists can’t touch. Every other work, from the dazzling, appropriately sparkling Jeux d’eau to the serenely elegiac Pavane pour une infante défunte are mezmerizingly played. Surely, though, the crown jewel in Simon’s set is his titanic reading of Miroirs. Never have I heard such fluidity and grace and swelling magnificence in Une barque sur L’océan, or rhythmic flexibility and solidity in Alborado del gracioso. Combine Simon’s playing with superb analog sound that allows his amazing color palate through in a way his Chopin recordings do not, and one has a treat of immense proportions. An amazing, miraculous set!

I was sated. Such a great recording of Ravel’s piano music should suffice not just for a year, but for many years. But then I picked up Jean-Efflam Bavouzet’s recording on MDG. His achievement is on the same level, yet is quite different. The set opens with a Gaspard nearly the equal of Simon’s, which is to say it’s an extraordinary one. Le Gibet, in particular, is haunting, and Scarbo mischievous and delivered in astonishing fashion. From Miroirs, Oiseaux tristes deserves special mention, opening as it does in a most wondrous subdued manner and unfolding in a most natural and graceful way. The small works all fare extraordinarily well, but Bavouzet delivers perhaps the best versions I’ve heard of both Valses nobles et sentimales and Le Tombeau de Couperin. The Valses all sound absolutely magnificent: they have a gracefulness and effortless and flow that eludes other versions, which may even sound crude in comparison. Le Tombeau is perhaps more impressive. The three dance movements have the same effortlessness and gracefulness, and they posses a lightness and beauty and deep frivolity that simply amazes. (Yes, deep frivolity.) The more “serious” movements are so meticulously played that one can do nothing other than sit and listen in utter amazement. Mr Bavouzet’s technique is superb, his touch varied, colorful, and insightful. (I simply must hear his Debussy!) As to sound, well, I’ve read that Michelangeli once said something to the effect that no piano is good enough for Gaspard de la nuit. If he had lived to hear this recording, he may very well change his mind. The 1901 Steinway D sounds stunning, and the recording is beyond Audiophile perfect in every way. Another amazing, miraculous set!

Of course my opening question is rhetorical. I love both these sets, but I cannot live without either Walter Gieseking or, especially, Robert Casadesus in this repertoire. And of course there are other superb recordings of individual works, but these two sets are both special. The Bavouzet, in particular, offers something special. Here is proof that great pianism is not only not dead, it’s thriving, if only one looks around a bit.

I have the set of solo piano works by a young French pianist called Alexandre Tharaud that is very fine indeed. It is on 2 CDs from the Harmonia Mundi label.

I remember some problems with the Samson Francois recordings, particularly a strange mannerism -- in the beautiful slow movement of the concerto in G -- of de-synchronizing (for want of a better word) the left hand from the right hand that rather put me off. I have an oldish one from Jean-Philippe Collard that is good, but there are many others.

It is always a matter of taste ;)
Some recordings with great Martha Argerich are also interesting

tomek,
You're right, of course.
I have just unearthed the Samson Francois version of the concerto for the left hand, and must say it has a tremendous amount of energy to it.

71D9yeYmWRL._SX355_.jpg

A new contender has arrived this year. I picked up Bertrand Chamayou's set with exceedingly high expectations in January, and my expectations were exceeded. I've listened to at least one piece every week since, and often the whole set. The playing is phenomenally good, and even in works like Miroirs and Gaspard, the best of the best from the past (or present) are merely different, not better. Miroirs, in particular, stands out, and offers another 21st Century great performance alongside Herbert Schuch's that shows that the titans of old have their equals today. That one of the great young Lisztians of the day should have no difficulty with the music is not surprising. He's basically batting a thousand at this point - though I've not heard his Mendelssohn solo disc or Chopin piano and cello works disc with Sol Gabetta yet - and I hope to hear in person one day. He is playing the Bartok Second PC next season up the road in Seattle, so who knows.

Great stuff.

Amazon UK link

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
He's basically batting a thousand at this point - though I've not heard his Mendelssohn solo disc or Chopin piano and cello works disc with Sol Gabetta yet - and I hope to hear in person one day.

I like Chamayou's solo Mendelssohn record a lot.

71D9yeYmWRL._SX355_.jpg

A new contender has arrived this year. I picked up Bertrand Chamayou's set with exceedingly high expectations in January, and my expectations were exceeded. I've listened to at least one piece every week since, and often the whole set. The playing is phenomenally good, and even in works like Miroirs and Gaspard, the best of the best from the past (or present) are merely different, not better. Miroirs, in particular, stands out, and offers another 21st Century great performance alongside Herbert Schuch's that shows that the titans of old have their equals today. That one of the great young Lisztians of the day should have no difficulty with the music is not surprising. He's basically batting a thousand at this point - though I've not heard his Mendelssohn solo disc or Chopin piano and cello works disc with Sol Gabetta yet - and I hope to hear in person one day. He is playing the Bartok Second PC next season up the road in Seattle, so who knows.

Great stuff.

Amazon UK link
By some strange coincidence , this week -I have been deciding one way or the other -whether to buy Chamayou's complete solo Piano Works on Erato , even though I have various other similar Ravel complete piano -solo sets in my collection, I see Presto Classical has it at 35% off on their website till the 18/7/16.

I give in..."its a buy" situation for me!:)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A recent purchase I found disappointing in quite a few places -on the recording factor alone : was the re-release of Ruth Laredo's 5 Cd set of Rachmaninov solo piano works on the Sony /CBS label. I can remember when it was first released on vinyl in the 70s' , on the U.S Columbia CBS) label and I forgot to then buy it.

On several of the newer CD's, the recording sound "stinks". One notices, that until- about half way through the set, whenever Laredo gathers and plays at top break-neck speed, the sound of various passages become mushy, confused, congested , and a 'blur'. Perhaps over the course of the project, there was a change of recording venues and engineer(s) ?

Totally mitigating against properly showing off her skills and artistry. Being a avid collector of things 'anything Rachmaninov and having countless other versions of all the works she happens to play on these CDs ': a simple remembered comparison of so many other pianists' recorded performances - and various notable stand -out sections of these works- makes one, realise the true extent of recording shortcomings on some of these Laredo discs.

On several of the newer CD's, the recording sound "stinks". One notices, that until- about half way through the set, whenever Laredo gathers and plays at top break-neck speed, the sound of various passages become mushy, confused, congested , and a 'blur'. Perhaps over the course of the project, there was a change of recording venues and engineer(s) ?

I agree that the sound is sub-optimal. In many places it sounds like the engineers compressed the sound after the fact, dramatically flattening out dynamics. It's not as bad through a moderately priced DAC and cans, but through a big rig, it's way too noticeable.

There are a couple other Rachmaninoff head scratchers of late, sonically speaking. Artur Pizarro's recent, generally laid back and for me quite appealing playing is let down by really sub-par sound for contemporary recordings. Zlata Chochieva's awesome Etudes Tableaux are almost derailed by the balance. The tonal reproduction and dynamics and everything else are fine, but the balance is shifted to the left channel too much throughout. You'd think by the 2010s, these things would be sorted.

Zlata Chochieva's awesome Etudes Tableaux are almost derailed by the balance. The tonal reproduction and dynamics and everything else are fine, but the balance is shifted to the left channel too much throughout. You'd think by the 2010s, these things would be sorted.

Couldn't agree more ! It's a superb set but it really took me back how much the sound 'veers' to the left channel - most odd !

Two pianists not to be overlooked in regard to essaying Rachmaninov's complete solo piano works are Idil Biret (Naxos) and Howard Shelley ( Hyperion) .At least their recordings fully allow their particular individual style and subtleties of musical interpretation to shine through without hindrance, from poor technical engineering.

Could it be partly the use of a Yamaha piano as opposed to the ubiquitous S&S B/D?

Doubtful. I listen to a fair number of recordings of different pianos, including Yamahas, and the Pizzaro set often sounds a bit dull and strangely compressed for such a modern recording. It sounds duller than his recordings of Albeniz and Granados using a Bluthner, and the Bluthner tends to sound duller than most recordings of Yamahas I've heard.

Just been listening to a bit of it on Spotify. I can see what you mean; a bit muffled and unnatural to my ears. Actually the piano sounds great, audio quality notwithstanding.

advertisement

Back