advertisement

Well worth the money

Philifa

pfm Member
Made a 5 1/2 hour round trip to Peter at Cymbiosis last Monday. My late 70's LP12 needed some tlc as the original Linn power supply had given up and it had not been looked at for many a year. I had recently invested in a second hand braced plinth and took that with me. Spent 2 hours watching Peter weave his magic building up the deck in the replacement plinth. The Nirvana upgrade, then the top plate was straightened then bent correctly, a new crossmember, second hand Majik sub-chassis, new Cirkus bearing, Hercules power supply and new springs etc were fitted. The wiring was placed with precision, arm bearings checked, cartridge realigned....everything was spot on. Had a quick listen in the shop but saved my main session until getting home. Bloody superb is the only way I can describe the transformation. I have never heard it sound so good....with what I am hearing now I don't think it was ever setup correctly before. The sound is sublime, the bass so tight and deep when it needs to be, the clarity, quiet background, lack of any distortion, crackles and clicks from my well worn records (some nearly 50 years old) have almost disappeared. Best of all the sound is so musical and easy to enjoy. I have no financial connection with Cymbiosis and have never used them before but, I will certainly be using them again. Thanks Peter, see you when my cartridge wears out which at this rate won't be long!

I too would be interested in the cost of all that. I have, over the last 18 months, brought my early 1980's Valhalla LP 12 up to a more modern spec, in stages, so I could assess the magnitude of the "improvement". I machined my own corner braces for the plinth fitting with proper glue and screws, a Sole mkvii sub/armboard, new springs/grommets, repacement good recent s/h motor, cirkus, outboard Hercules, the "Mose" psu and a solid CNC aluminium plate baseboard. The Ittok has been rewired and bearings done by Johnny, Audio Origami. I recently heard a full spec new LP12 at a dealers, I was auditioning speakers. The new LP12 was good, super tight in the bass, gone was the bloom in the bass area,etc, etc, IMHO I have got within 95% of that, exactly the improvements described by the OP. How much is a new one, £12k? I guess I've spent approx £1200! OK, I am an ex Linn trained person, and have the time to spend getting my own turntable just right at home. My point is, dont overlook good used upgraded parts or good aftermarket solutions to update your LP12. Good dealers like Peter can do the work for you, if you havn't got the knowledge to DIY.

advertisement

Back