advertisement

WD-40 as a record 'crackle' eliminator??

The groove walls actually deform temporarily when the stylus whizzes past because of the heat.

Having a lubricant which eases stylus travel and has both cooling and cold start damage prevention properties is probably not a bad idea.

For those reasons I would personally use Mobil 1 synthetic. Proven for reduced wear in subzero temperatures for those early winter morning listening sessions.

Don't sell yourself short with WD-40. Treat your stylus.
What really riles me is 'false news 'expertise opinion & conjecture ' information from johnny -come-latelys'
First, w had the 'glue fillers' going to solve vinyl's problems....now they want to spray 'general 'give it a try anyway .....handy -man hardware guck' on them.
It is the avenue along which we see long lines of Hi fi 's OCD hypochondriacs travelling.
Question: Do they ever find the physical time to stop cleaning...and actually sit down , relax and listen to a record???!!!

WD-40 ....IS NOT something like say ,the tested trusted -proven formula of the U.S made LAST stylus preservative. . After exhaustive - truly immediate -repeated test playing's of copies of new identical vinyl discs being used in A/B mode - till very noticeable frequency destruction points were clearly evident - on at least one of the comparable A/B test copies of same material ....with / and without LAST vinyl lubricant . Leading to final sonic read-out frequency testings & graphs being , for consideration and comparison.

Point A: Stylii have been said to be known to reach up to a flash point of 600F. whilst operating.
Point B: Whilst operating -iit was once determined that a stylus to accurately transverse every known weaving configuration possible of a record groove , it has to be able to move (within its miniscule dimensions) at velocity forces even greater ( if mathematically -sized upwards, to that of a space rocket : what that large object needs to do..... to break from earth's gravity.
Pretty amazing , really. And yet vinyl still can perform its task.

I'll still give it a try for not only do I have a spare, crackly record at hand, I've got a spare turntable with a basic cartridge and if the whole lot ends up in a skip, then so be it. I'm prepared to take one for the team as it were. I'll use my RCM before and after treatment to minimise the risk, but I'll give it a try nonetheless.

I'll still give it a try for not only do I have a spare, crackly record at hand, I've got a spare turntable with a basic cartridge and if the whole lot ends up in a skip, then so be it. I'm prepared to take one for the team as it were. I'll use my RCM before and after treatment to minimise the risk, but I'll give it a try nonetheless.

That's the spirit :)

Talking of which perhaps some Single Malt ...

WD40 is supposed to be good for arthritic joints too! AFAIR, the manufacturers were bemused, but said it wouldn't harm.
And it isn't much good as a long term lubricant, as it evaporates too quickly. Duck Oil would be better. Or lard. :D

I imagine that it may provide a temporary improvement but once it dries out it will leave a residue, partly from itself but may bind dirt and other matter in to the groove.

Unscrupulous record dealers wipe with lighter fluid 'Look how clean n shiny this old record is !'

I wouldn't touch WD40 with a record either

lighter fluid ought to be fine. I'm an art dealer and have never had a problem using the stuff to clean plexiglas (perspex) and other acrylics. I use WD40 for all manner of mechanical things too - but I wouldn't assume automatically that it wouldn't work. I think it's probably not wise if i were forced to a decision though. I strongly suspect that the effect that the guy is demonstrating in the youtube clip has to do with residual water (and oil) in the grooves - abating the noise somewhat.

For those who do not know or have not looked it up, WD-40 is basically a mix of two mineral oils. One is a heavy oil that does not evaporate - I have never boiled WD-40 so can't say precisely how thick, but let's say motor engine oil. the other is a very light, volatile oil that the heavier one mixes with.
The way it works is that the very light mixture is sprayed on, being light/thin it penetrates well, the light oil then evaporates and leaves a very thin film of heavy oil everywhere that it has penetrated.
As it has dewatering properties, the heavy oil is probably modified, in a similar way to lithium grease - in the case of lithium grease, the lithium (a metal) bonds well to other metals, and so "holds" the grease in place, on the other metal, as at least a thin film.

Whatever - wonderful stuff for making some really great kack when you add a bit of general dust.

WD40 is the ONLY thing that will remove all traces of marijuana residue from your hands after harvesting your bud.

Apparently you should be careful of it with electrics/electronics as whilst it will disperse water it can break down electrical contacts. Or something like that.

Apparently you should be careful of it with electrics/electronics as whilst it will disperse water it can break down electrical contacts. Or something like that.

Long-term it will actually absorb and retain water. Not good.

advertisement

Back