advertisement

WD-40 as a record 'crackle' eliminator??

Jonathan

pfm Member
really??

has anyone heard of this? i'd be a bit suspicious of the argument that 'since both WD-40 and vinyl are made from petroleum they are naturally compatible'...

wouldn't that technically make WD-40 a potential SOLVENT of vinyl?

[YOUTUBE]o2s-Sis0T80[/YOUTUBE]

i can't seem to get the youtube link to play on here- here is the direct URL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2s-Sis0T80

Wow! I knew WD40 was great for a whole host of things, but removing static from an LP? I never knew that... but I'm gonna give it a go.

I'm sure I've got an old, duff record with lots of snap, crackle and pop somewhere and will clean it on my RCM and play it to check the crackle is still there, then apply WD40 and clean it again on my RCM (he says crackle will still be gone after washing off WD40) then play to check whether the crackle is gone.

I'm getting new windows installed later today, so it'll be tomorrow at the earliest before I give it a go. Will update with results accordingly.

The thought of spraying WD-40 on vinyl discs is sheer lunacy.
Years ago, I used a physically scratched and scuffed CD - for checking out a computer program that showed, both visually via a graph / and also percentage - wise (read -out) the amounts of CD fault/ misinformation on the disc
Then or a silly test, I sprayed it with WD-40 ,waited till it dried then inserted the same CD disc in the computer for a new read-out.
Talk about a great increase in " blocked out information"!
Since WD -40 is recommended for aiding 'freeing up rusting bolts & mechanisms etc.........perhaps now, 'someone might just suggest WD -40 to 'get rid of that rust - on CD - oxidized bronzing' on some now ancient rare Cd releases from the past:D:D

P.S I like the wise words of one Hi Fi retailer once. He stated that top record companies had gone to great lengths - down the years -to engineer and produce vinyl with as perfect of grooves as possible.
He then asked" Then why in the hell is so many people trying to fill the grooves with gunk additives and cleaners?
AMEN!

Do not do this. I've seen postings on Facebook suggesting WD40 can do umpteen things, many of which won't work or will cause permanent damage. Some tell you it's made of fish oil (it's not of course). A very bad idea.

Now that was educational ! But I have questions:

How does he not know how to hold a record?.....and

What miraculous method does he use for drying a record in that short time?....and

If he repeats that procedure with

a lot of records, how does he tell which is which when the label deteriorates/falls off?....and

Is water so cheap where he lives?...and

Does he use throw-away cart's? ...and

Why the Hell doesn't he buy an RCM and be done with it?

Utterly ridiculous but entertaining nonetheless.:D

Anyone who has used WD40 for it's mechanical purpose would find this thread and its ideas hilarious. Tweakers are fun.

It will eliminate more than crackle :) Do NOT try WD40 anywhere near your records or record playing equipment, it is a very bad idea!

Great to see the silly wire fans out in force on this thread telling people not to do something without trying it themselves...

The groove walls actually deform temporarily when the stylus whizzes past because of the heat.

Having a lubricant which eases stylus travel and has both cooling and cold start damage prevention properties is probably not a bad idea.

For those reasons I would personally use Mobil 1 synthetic. Proven for reduced wear in subzero temperatures for those early winter morning listening sessions.

Don't sell yourself short with WD-40. Treat your stylus.

Great to see the silly wire fans out in force on this thread telling people not to do something without trying it themselves...

It's called knowledge and prior experience, sometimes you do not need to try something to know it is not a good idea...

Unscrupulous record dealers wipe with lighter fluid 'Look how clean n shiny this old record is !'

I wouldn't touch WD40 with a record either

The groove walls actually deform temporarily when the stylus whizzes past because of the heat.

Having a lubricant which eases stylus travel and has both cooling and cold start damage prevention properties is probably not a bad idea.

For those reasons I would personally use Mobil 1 synthetic. Proven for reduced wear in subzero temperatures for those early winter morning listening sessions.

Don't sell yourself short with WD-40. Treat your stylus.

Haha!

advertisement

Back