advertisement

Water Divining

I often use divining rods to find water leaks in the pipes across my farm. We have about a mile of pipe and leaks can cost a fortune. I don't know why it works - but I do it and it does!

Cheers. Bill

it's b**locks. Have you run enough trials to demonstrate a statistically significant advantage of divining over chance?

Have you included all the times you divined and didn't find any water in your analysis.

Apologies for my somewhat aggressive tone, I work in healthcare and regularly have to contend with the kind of pseudo scientific claptrap that delays or prevents accurate diagnosis, promotes ineffective treatments and delays or prevents access to appropriate ones. cranioscral therapy, homeopathy, etc.
I sympathise with your view and I would take an equally aggressive tone if I went to hospital and someone waved a handful of grass about and said they were going to treat me with a healing stone, However if someone wants to walk up and down a field with a couple of sticks for 10 minutes in order to find a drain, well, if it's quicker than probing and excavation then why not? It's not as if he is wasting vast amounts of a highly paid professional's time, and if he gets it wrong then he's no worse off than if he guessed. After all, as someone else said -
it's conceivable that some individuals are sensitive to subtle (and maybe not so subtle) environmental cues associated with underground water.
This brings it out of the realms of pseudob*llocks and into the realms of a copper's intuition or an experienced physician's hunch. "Well, I don't have much to go on here, but I just think we'll have another look at this and...well well."

We had one in to find a well many years ago, left him in the yard with a digger and his copper rods.

Came back three hours later and the place looked like the Somme on a dry day, I think he must have dug up every square metre apart from the one with a well under it.

I suspect people who believe in divining rods also have expensive cables in their system too.. :)

have you ever participated in an audiophile exorcism to rid your system of the bad sounds.....much cheaper than foo cables or a dedicated spur.

Did you know cats can taste water?

Only that's simply not the case, it's all down the how their eye picks up light. I suggest you catch the eminently watchable Professor Jim Al Khalili's documentary on quantum physics in nature to confirm this.

Except everyone else in the world disagrees and says it's magnets...

I believe quantum physics about as much as I believe diviners.

Except everyone else in the world disagrees and says it's magnets...

I believe quantum physics about as much as I believe diviners.

Right so you are basically saying, you don't believe in science. Whatever it is in the magnetic field that a bird recognises is down to its' eyes not the brain, however, you carry on in your ignorance.

meanwhile, my subscription to dowsing monthly reveals that in 2011 Toby Cotwell, of 3, the gardens, Frome, has recently found an old pipe in his garden that no-one knew was there.

'I'm amazed' said Mrs Cotwell. 'He spends all day out there doing something with two sticks, and now he's dug up an old bit of pipe'
Mr Cotwell, whose Doctorate in Quantum Physics from Cambridge university was based in the area of magnetic bird droppings, had no comment except, as the interview ended, he asked if anyone wanted to buy a bit of pipe. 'I'll even sign it for you' he offered jokingly.
Ha Ha Toby.

In a follow up story, 'Cotwell pipe sells for £17,321 at local auction after scientist proves it is from Mars'.

i have read recently a very heavy book on the new area of Quantum Biology. Basically the fuzzy border between quantum physics and biology. Stuff like magnetic sensitivity in birds is well covered. Stuff like how the sense of smell works. But it is still tough to work out when stuff becomes biology and nor does it solve the 'problem' of 'life'.

i am a rational scientist and engineer. Do not believe in cable foo.

But I have felt the strange power of divining rods - I do not have an clue how that works.

I remember a program a good few years back where Richard Dawkins disproved this water divining stuff, and he’s disproved God!

Right so you are basically saying, you don't believe in science. Whatever it is in the magnetic field that a bird recognises is down to its' eyes not the brain, however, you carry on in your ignorance.

I believe in science, and all physical science can be reduced to quantum mechaincs if you want to. But all the evidence, except your reference points to birds navigating via magnetic field, and last time I checked magnetic fields are part of the invisible spectrum, even to birds.

My money is with the sharks, not quantum entangling of protein pairs.

advertisement

Back